Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Polished Aluminum cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/08, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polished Aluminum cleaner?

I have the 18" Polished Aluminum wheels, and I'm curious what those of you that have the same wheels prefer to use to clean them.

Thanks.
Old 7/12/08, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Window cleaner and wax!
Old 7/12/08, 08:21 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Not sure I would use window cleaner on polished aluminum.

Are your rims clear coated or real polished untreated aluminum? If they are not clear coated, I like Mothers Billet polish but the best stuff I have used is Flitz. I have tried about a dozen different polishes and Flitz does the best job.
Old 7/12/08, 08:23 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I should note that I am going to guess your 18" polished bullits are factory rims, therefore they are clearcoated. Just treat them the same as you do your paint and wax them. If brake dust builds up, use a claybar to remove the dust, or polish by hand with a clearcoat cleaner and then wax. I wouldn't use a window cleaner. You wouldn't spray that on the car body would you? The rims are treated the same way you treat the paint on the car.
Old 7/12/08, 08:24 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
meg's has an all metal polish, and also a mag and aluminum polish, and for cleaning them, there is an all metal cleaner and an aluminum specific cleaner

so clean, then polish, then wax
Old 7/14/08, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangMahn
meg's has an all metal polish, and also a mag and aluminum polish, and for cleaning them, there is an all metal cleaner and an aluminum specific cleaner

so clean, then polish, then wax
I wouldn't do that.

I concur with Adrenalin
Old 7/14/08, 03:36 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
wouldnt do what? working on clearcoated aluminum is basically the same as working on paint, so you'd need an alum. specific cleaner and polish, then wax
Old 7/14/08, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
thats what I did Mequiers polish on one the same on another then waed to see a dif and I like the one that had polish wax nicer and lasted longer so I did them all
Old 7/14/08, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, they are the factory wheels. Have any of you used the Meguiars aluminum polish? How did you like it? I'm guessing I shouldn't use a wheel brush on them to get the brake dust off then huh? I haven't heard of Flitz before, I'll have to look into them too.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
Old 7/15/08, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't recommend using alum. polish on your clear coat wheels....unless you don't like the clear coat. Simply treat them the same as the rest of the car.
Old 7/15/08, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure I understand, why wouldn't Meguiars aluminum wheel polish be good to use on the factory polished aluminum wheels? How is polishing clear coated wheels any different than polishing clear coated paint?
Old 7/15/08, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most metal polishes have a small amount of:

Component Name CAS # OSHA OSHA ACGIH ACGIH Carcinogenic %
PEL STEL TLV STEL

Listing
White Spirits
64742-82-1 N/L N/L N/L N/L N/L 10-20
64742-47-8
Kerosene (Petroleum)
200-230
8008-20-6 N/L N/L N/L N/L N/L 10-20

Coco fatty acid diethanol amide
68603-42-9 N/L N/L N/L N/L N/L 5-15

Aluminum oxide
1344-28-1 N/L N/L N/L N/L N/L 25-35

Ammonia Solution(25%)
7664-41-7 N/L N/L N/L N/L N/L 1-5

Water Approx. 35%

Now that seems fine for METAL, but using Keroseen and Mineral Spirits on a finished surface is a NO-NO. Hunt down the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for any product you want to use. Just Google "metal polish", "MSDS" and you will soon find a list of ingredients (roughly). You will see that these are not intended for clear-coated surfaces. The clear coat will become dulled or even may craze or crack due to chemical attack. You will end up sorry and will have wasted money, time, and be sorry you did anything more than rinse your wheels.

Take some advice from Adrenaline, his car is cherry and it's older than most of ours on here.
Old 7/16/08, 07:24 AM
GT Member

Never use polish for raw metal on clearcoated metal.The factory wheels and most aftermarket wheels are clearcoated.Clearcoat is PAINT.If you wash the wheels and wax them.A quick detail spray and wipe every day or two will keep them looking new.Don't let the brake dust build up and don't forget the inside of the wheel also.
Old 7/16/08, 08:10 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by StangMahn
wouldnt do what? working on clearcoated aluminum is basically the same as working on paint, so you'd need an alum. specific cleaner and polish, then wax
I think some of you guys are missing the point. There is a huge difference between "Polished aluminum" and "Clearcoated aluminum". You do not, never, ever, use a metal polish on rims that have been clearcoated. Metal polish is made specifically for untreated aluminum/metal. The only thing it will do to clearcoat is destroy it. You would not use an aluminum cleaner on clearcoat. Ever read a bottle of aluminum spray cleaner? They tell you not to get it on clearcoat.

For clearcoat rims you maintain them like you would the paint on your car. Use clearcoat safe polish and wax. It is as simple as that. The same polish/wax you are using on the car, just use it on your rims.

I guess I am confused on how this concept is so difficult to understand.
Old 7/16/08, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I think some of you guys are missing the point. There is a huge difference between "Polished aluminum" and "Clearcoated aluminum".

For clearcoat rims you maintain them like you would the paint on your car. Use clearcoat safe polish and wax. It is as simple as that. The same polish/wax you are using on the car, just use it on your rims.
The factory 18" bullits are called polished aluminum, and you said they are clear coated but you are also saying there is a difference. So if I use the Meguiars "3 step" deep crystal system you are saying to just use the "step 2" polish and "step 3" wax on the rims? And to then use something like the Meguiars quick detailer in between polishing and waxing?

Sorry if I'm confusing the issue further. I just want to make sure I take care of my car the best I can, and I was just curious as to which products people found the best for these rims. Something better than simple green and a wheel brush.
Old 7/17/08, 07:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

The factory rims are made out of aluminum and have been clearcoated.

The car is made out of metal, painted and then clearcoated.

The final layer (clearcoat) is the same on both the car and the rims.

Therefore, clean and polish your rims exactly as you would the car.

Would you use window cleaner, simple green, meg's metal polish, or
aluminum polish on your cars paint ???

If you did that to your factory rims, they aren't going to stay looking like this for very long ...
Attached Thumbnails Polished Aluminum cleaner?-rims.jpg  

Last edited by GTJeff; 7/17/08 at 08:12 AM.
Old 7/17/08, 03:13 PM
V6 Member

I use WheelWax (http://www.wheelwax.com/). Works great!
Old 7/17/08, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTJeff
Would you use window cleaner, simple green, meg's metal polish, or
aluminum polish on your cars paint ???

If you did that to your factory rims, they aren't going to stay looking like this for very long ...
That is why I was curious about what products people found worked best because I want to keep my rims looking like that.

Thanks for the link 07standKD.
Old 7/17/08, 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BossDawg
The factory 18" bullits are called polished aluminum, and you said they are clear coated
They are both. Polished aluminum under clear coat. or clear coat over polished aluminum if you prefer.
Old 7/24/08, 05:46 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Ya, some companies should really stop referring to their rims as simply "polished aluminum". Ya, I know, they were polished prior to having clearcoat applied but it just adds to the confusion.

Quick Reply: Polished Aluminum cleaner?