Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Orange peel?

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/12, 12:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Orange peel?

Is there a cure?
Old 1/15/12, 02:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wet sand
Old 1/15/12, 06:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
its part of what makes it a ford If you want it gone hand it over to a pro.
Old 1/15/12, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
its part of what makes it a ford

Or a Chevy, or a Toyota, or a Honda, or a Porsche.
Old 1/15/12, 10:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bh6247
Is there a cure?
factory or repainted part?
i wouldn't mess w the factory finish but if it's a respray or painted after mkt part then what ^Zaksgt said, 2000 grit light wet sand will take care of it.
Old 1/15/12, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RadioFr33Europe
Or a Chevy, or a Toyota, or a Honda, or a Porsche.
Or a volvo, BMW, Audi, Chrysler...

EPA mandates water based paints. the water base makes it extremely hard to put down a finish that doesn't orange peel. it is possible, but you're probably talking about changes that would add quite a bit more cost to your vehicle.

if it bothers you enough, you can certainly have the car repainted if necessary. Some wet sanding and polishing should help however.
Old 1/15/12, 03:32 PM
GTR Member

If you're stuck on it, find yourself a good detailer who will wet sand the car. First, proper readings need to be taken to ensure there's enough material there to take down. After sanding, compounding and polishing is needed to get the finish back to gold. You're looking at 25-30 hours in work for a good job.

Here's an article for reference of an M5 that needed a good wet sand. The results speak for themselves:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...es-bmw-m5.html

Before:

After:
Old 1/15/12, 08:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no orange peal on my 2011 Race Red Mustang....if I did, Ford would be taking care of it under warranty, but more importantly, I would not have bought the car like that in the first place!
Old 1/15/12, 09:09 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
I have no orange peal on my 2011 Race Red Mustang....if I did, Ford would be taking care of it under warranty, but more importantly, I would not have bought the car like that in the first place!
I'd love to see that.
Old 1/15/12, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'd love to see that.

Me too !
Old 1/15/12, 10:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered a red car. I think it hides the op the best. I guess with the modern painting techniques its just the way it is. I remember walking into the dealer and saw a white convertible and the op was very noticable. Black speaks for itself. The gray or silver seems to hide it well relative to some other colors to. And yes, I notice op on some pretty expensive cars
Old 1/15/12, 10:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
alotta elbow grease but its possible through this do-it-yourself method in 10 steps

http://www.ehow.com/how_4479541_get-...peel-from.html
Old 1/16/12, 12:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bh6247
I ordered a red car. I think it hides the op the best. I guess with the modern painting techniques its just the way it is. I remember walking into the dealer and saw a white convertible and the op was very noticable. Black speaks for itself. The gray or silver seems to hide it well relative to some other colors to. And yes, I notice op on some pretty expensive cars
Of the vehicles I've owned, and there are a lot, the most expensive ones always had the worst orange peel.

Above and beyond everything else, the BMW I had was the worst. The JSB paint on my 08 Z06 was bad in spots, and great in others.

Ironically the Ford's I've owned have been among the best as far as orange peel is concerned.
Old 1/16/12, 01:40 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
bwahahahaa

im sorry but the just how new cars are today. have you been to a bmw dealer.. they also have it
Old 1/20/12, 07:51 PM
GT Member

The Mustangs I have seen, mine included, have less orange peel than any of the current generation M3s I've seen. Unfortunately, with the EPA regulations, few cars have really good paint jobs any more. My Challenger seems particularly prone to rock chips. So far my Mustang's paint has held up better to rock chips than my Challenger, despite the Mustang having more miles. I looked at my uncle's Mark VIII with 80,000 miles on it today and the paint is almost pristine, even on the front bumper. Thanks, liberals.

Last edited by justindo; 1/20/12 at 07:52 PM.
Old 1/24/12, 06:20 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by Overboost
If you're stuck on it, find yourself a good detailer who will wet sand the car. First, proper readings need to be taken to ensure there's enough material there to take down. After sanding, compounding and polishing is needed to get the finish back to gold. You're looking at 25-30 hours in work for a good job.

Here's an article for reference of an M5 that needed a good wet sand. The results speak for themselves:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...es-bmw-m5.html

Before:
After:

Not to take anything away from the long hard work that went into that job, but you can see the focus point on the top pic is the exterior surface of the paint while the after is focused passed the paint and onto the reflection. It's not quite the same as the first pic exaggerates the amount of texture.

Oddly enough, Porsche was mentioned, and I have to say: they probably have the best paint jobs of modern cars. Not their entire line-up, as the Cayenne has more texture than the 911, but they're quite impressive. All other brands seem to have VERY textured paint jobs. I was working on a Rosso Corsa 458 and my gf stopped by to check it out. Her first two sentances:

Oh wow, that's pretty........ eeeeewww look at the orange peel!

It's not all on the EPA however and I find many people seem to be quite mislead on why modern cars have so much texture. Please keep in mind that water-based paint is for the base-coat (color layer) only. Clear-coat is still solvent based, and it's the clear-coat that has the majority of the orange peel texture that causes a lack of crisp reflections.

EPA regulations are calling for less VOC's in paint, but in all honesty, if the car companies wanted to give you a much better paint job, they could.

The number one reason cars have more and more orange peel is the same reason your "leather trimmed seats" aren't full leather (usually only a small amount of the seat is actually leather): to save money.