Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

New mustang delivery

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/13, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New mustang delivery

I'm about 4 weeks out from my new Mustang GT Premium DIB coming in. The question is should I let the dealership detail my car.
Old 8/10/13, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
HELLNO!!!!

Do it yourself.

Make sure you tell them several times not to even wash it. Where are you located?
Old 8/10/13, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

Live in North Houston
Old 8/10/13, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool or hot at this time of the year. Get a clay bar kit and some good carnuba wax so you can detail your car shortly after you take delivery.
Old 8/10/13, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn
HELLNO!!!!

Do it yourself.

Make sure you tell them several times not to even wash it. Where are you located?
+1

The only thing the dealer is capable of is installing factory swirl marks and scratches!

It'll already have some issues, but nothing you cant fix. As others have stated - clay bar, 2-bucket wash method, good Carnauba wax, finish with a nice detail spray.

Enjoy your new toy!
Old 8/10/13, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No! No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No!

PS: tell them you do not want any dealer advertising or license plate frame on the car.
Old 8/11/13, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few hints to help your keep your car swirl and mar free...

Use the 2 bucket method.. one for the wash solution, one to rinse the mitt after applying it to the car. Rinse early, rinse often. Use 2 separate buckets dedicated to cleaning tire and wheel assemblies.

Use 2 plush washmitts... I dislike sponges of any kind as they can trap grit in the pores and can scratch paint.

Wash your car following the airflow of the vehicle... do not use circular motions with your washmitt.. it causes swirls!

Use a waffle weave microfiber drying towel and a leaf blower (electric) to dry the vehicle. I take my nozzle off of the hose and allow free flowing water to sheet off of the surface, then blot the paintwork with the waffle weave. I then use the leaf blower to get the water out of the "nooks and crannies" such as mirror housing, door handles, etc. then blot dry.

Break up your detailing clay into quarters ... you don't need to use the whole bar when claying.

You have 2 options for lubrication when it comes to claying... using a quick detailer or soapy water. If you choose to use soapy water, make up a fresh batch in your wash bucket and a clean wash mitt and throughly rinse the area clayed. Flatten the clay out into a "pancake" and gently rub the surface. It is better to go over an area twice or more than to rub harder over a spot, such as "bee poop" (the small yellowish spots that appear on your paint). When the clay gets dirty, knead it until a fresh surface appears, flatten it again and continue. Once the clay is "grunged" it should be tossed out.

If you drop your clay on the ground.. discard it! Clay is very "sticky" (that's why you need to use a lubricant) and works to pick up contaminants from your car's paintwork... it will pick up stuff from the ground too, and if you re-use it... you will damage your paint.

If you choose to clay with soapy water as a lube, rewash and use a waffle weave microfiber drying towel and a leaf blower (electric) to dry the vehicle as previously mentioned.

Stock up on some good quality microfiber towels.

When it comes to buying wax.... consider this: You are spending tens of thousands of your hard earned dollars on your new Mustang... are you going to protect it with a cheap $4 car wax?

Spend a few extra bucks and get the good stuff! Your car will thank you!

Last edited by DaGonz; 9/21/13 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and additional thoughts
Old 8/11/13, 08:39 AM
V6 Member

thanks for the replies everyone. My old jeep only saw the drive through car washes. Haven't hand washed a car in a while... Been watching all the junkman videos on you tube all weekend about car detailing. I think I now need a bigger garage.............
Old 8/12/13, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I've bought enough cars at my dealership that they don't even bother asking me if I want anything put on the car. Just wash it, & I'll do the rest. Dealerships use bought in bulk stuff that they get cheap. If they put anything on it I just removed it with clay & put my stuff on. You're buying a beautiful car. Keep it out of the "scratch machine" car washes!
Old 8/12/13, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if incase u dont want diy it...i can recommend humble auto detailing
Humble Auto Detail
10703 Criswell Dr
Humble, TX 77396

http://www.humbleautodetail.com/
lot of mustangs in our car club does their detailing there..
Old 8/12/13, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rcliff1
thanks for the replies everyone. My old jeep only saw the drive through car washes. Haven't hand washed a car in a while... Been watching all the junkman videos on you tube all weekend about car detailing. I think I now need a bigger garage.............
I like some of the waterless wash products out there, may be something to look into. What color did you buy?
Old 8/12/13, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Thx for the link to http://www.humbleautodetail.com/, definitely going to check them out.
Old 8/13/13, 04:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rcliff1
Thx for the link to http://www.humbleautodetail.com/, definitely going to check them out.
You can join Montgomery club of Houston and get discount at that place.

http://www.meetup.com/Montgomery-Cou...-and-Car-Club/
Old 8/13/13, 10:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
what are you people talking about?? Why would you use a clay bar on brand new paint? Its for surface contaminates, you're wasting your time using it on new paint.

And all these people freaking out about swirls and saying not to wash in a circular motion...swirl marks are INEVITABLE. The only thing you can do is decrease the rate in which you obtain swirl marks. This pretty much means not taking the car to an automatic wash and using safe detailing/washing practices.

How does a wash mit not hold the same amount of debris a sponge can? If anything, it would be the other way around. Have you ever seen debris in veleco? Similar concept
Old 8/13/13, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep clay bar on a new car. Ever heard of rail dust? I know you have.

To the OP why not do the detailing yourself? its fairly simple and straight forward.
Old 8/13/13, 12:40 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan S.
what are you people talking about?? Why would you use a clay bar on brand new paint? Its for surface contaminates, you're wasting your time using it on new paint. And all these people freaking out about swirls and saying not to wash in a circular motion...swirl marks are INEVITABLE. The only thing you can do is decrease the rate in which you obtain swirl marks. This pretty much means not taking the car to an automatic wash and using safe detailing/washing practices. How does a wash mit not hold the same amount of debris a sponge can? If anything, it would be the other way around. Have you ever seen debris in veleco? Similar concept
Rail dust, bug guts, bird bombs, etc. Youre car has already been bombarded by the elemtnts by the time you get your hands on it. So no you wont be wasting time by claying and washing new paint. If youre spendin so much of youre hard earned money, wouldnt you want your car to reflect that? (Literally)

Sponge mitts have pores in them that can trap dirt and then if any pressure is applied then its bein rubbed right into your paint. A plush mitt can shed these dirt particles better as they just sit on the fibers. Then when you use the second bucket ro rinse it all comes off and you have a clean mitt to wash your car with. And moving with the airflow keep the lines straight if micromarring does occur. Which makes them less visible and easier to fix. So none of us are freaking out, just taking the correct precautionary steps to keep our cars looking new for as long as we can (while secretly protecting our resale value)

Plus unless you bought it special order and paid for your own transportation services then who knows what its been through. Certainly not you. I know i like keeping my car as clean as i can because it just feels good. People look, take pics, give me thumbs up, and the occassional girl wants a ride or gives me a number. Now take the same car, full of swirls, dirty, hardly what id call a glossy clean look, and most people wouldnt give it a second glance.
Old 8/13/13, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan S.
what are you people talking about?? Why would you use a clay bar on brand new paint? Its for surface contaminates, you're wasting your time using it on new paint.

And all these people freaking out about swirls and saying not to wash in a circular motion...swirl marks are INEVITABLE. The only thing you can do is decrease the rate in which you obtain swirl marks. This pretty much means not taking the car to an automatic wash and using safe detailing/washing practices.

How does a wash mit not hold the same amount of debris a sponge can? If anything, it would be the other way around. Have you ever seen debris in veleco? Similar concept

You're kidding, right? I mean, this has to be a troll post.

If you've never clayed a brand-new car, you'd be AMAZED at the crap that comes off that "brand new paint". As others have mentioned - Factory overspray, rail dust from transporting that new car, environmental dust/dirt/debris, animal droppings, human oils (fingerprints), etc.

Allow me to give you an example:

Swirl marks are CAUSED by using a circular motion with a cleaning device (sponge, terry-cloth rag, etc.) that has contaminates in it (see aforementioned clay bar, dirt from not rinsing, etc.). By working in straight lines, using the 2-bucket wash method, you GREATLY reduce the amount of marks YOU put in YOUR paint. Again, as others have said, sponges and rags trap the dirt in their pores. Microfibre mits allow the dirt particles to fall out (if you rinse them per the 2-bucket wash method). If you spend DAYS detailing your car, you should want to do everything possible to keep it from becoming marred up, especially if it's by your own hand!

Normally I don't feed trolls, but in this case, I just had to. It's one thing to claim ignorance and claim you don't know any better, but to state as fact that what the rest of the detailing community is saying is wrong is just simple misinformation and should be addressed accordingly. If you'd like to challenge me and/or any of the professionals on this board to the contrary, please be prepared to provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and that'll mean research on HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of DIFFERENT cars from many manufacturers. I know (the collective) we have....

Last edited by ColSaulTigh; 8/13/13 at 02:48 PM.
Old 8/13/13, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some of my paint is 9 years old and it lacks a single swirl mark.
Old 8/13/13, 04:21 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
Some of my paint is 9 years old and it lacks a single swirl mark.
And im gonna assume you follow safe wash/detail practices?
Old 8/13/13, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking

And im gonna assume you follow safe wash/detail practices?
Yes, I do, one thing that I love to use is armor all ultra shine with carnauba wax, I make sure to rinse it to remove all lose dust and debris before washing it, I always use a soft cloth, I allow it to sun dry and polish it with a microfiber towel which also removes any water spots from the windows. I also leave a cover on while its parked.

Quick Reply: New mustang delivery