Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Mequiars NXT good enough - the debate is over!

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/06, 11:15 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mequiars NXT good enough - the debate is over!

So I decided to remove the Zaino's from both my car and my wifes car. She has a black Pontiac G6 GT. After doing the normal 3M Foam polish, I then applied 1, yes only 1 for now, coat of Meguiars NXT paste. I know auto entusiasts always debate which wax is better, so this time I asked someone who knows nothing about wax, or cars for that matter. His response......

"Holy ****. I can see myself!" Keep in mind, the picture was taken in the garage bouncing a flash off the ceiling
Attached Thumbnails Mequiars NXT good enough - the debate is over!-pict2870-large-.jpg  
Old 9/16/06, 03:34 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know how long it lasts compared to 'Z'
Old 9/16/06, 04:23 PM
Retired Tms Staff

actually it is not my first time using NXT. I used it long before getting Zaino's. With NXT I do find that if, on average, I wash my car 2 to 3 times a week, I have to re-wax the car every 8 weeks. That is if I want to have that smooth feeling back again.
Old 9/16/06, 06:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mequiars NXT is good stuff and alot less work IMO~
Old 9/16/06, 10:52 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by adrenalin
actually it is not my first time using NXT. I used it long before getting Zaino's. With NXT I do find that if, on average, I wash my car 2 to 3 times a week, I have to re-wax the car every 8 weeks. That is if I want to have that smooth feeling back again.
That sucks, but hey, the shine seems just as good and we know you like spending time with your car.
Old 9/17/06, 07:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just waxed my 07 with NXT. Easy on and off. Looks great. I am very pleased with it!
Old 9/17/06, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since April of this year, I've been using nothing but Meguiar's on my V6. I start off with ColorX, then a layer of Deep Crystal System #2 Polish before finishing it off with at least two layers of NXT Paste. Every other day, I use NXT Speed Detailer to keep it clean and at least twice a month, I use the NXT Spray Wax.

As a result, the surface looks and feels like glass, and other people think I just drove it off the lot.
Old 9/17/06, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I use Mequiars Gold Class car wash and Gold Class liquid wax. I wash my car about once a week. I wax it about 4 to 5 times a year. It always feels smooth as glass. Of course, I'm retired and my car is not a daily driver and stays in my garage when not being driven.
Old 9/19/06, 01:02 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

thats an awesome pic

you wash your car 2-3 times a week? holy thats a crap load of car washing batman!!! no wonder you need to rewax so often, do you do a sqweek test or just decide that youd like to add more wax to your car?
Old 9/21/06, 08:18 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I can tell by the look of the paint after washing when it needs more wax. Before drying it, the water will not bead as well, but once it is dry, just the feel of the paint tells me it is time for a new coat
Old 9/21/06, 08:31 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Btw, great pic of the 'hopper John.
Old 9/21/06, 12:16 PM
Banned

So I decided to remove the Zaino's from both my car and my wifes car. She has a black Pontiac G6 GT. After doing the normal 3M Foam polish, I then applied 1, yes only 1 for now, coat of Meguiars NXT paste. I know auto entusiasts always debate which wax is better, so this time I asked someone who knows nothing about wax, or cars for that matter. His response......

"Holy ****. I can see myself!" Keep in mind, the picture was taken in the garage bouncing a flash off the ceiling
Hopefully he/she didn't leave any finger prints
Old 9/21/06, 01:24 PM
I lust for a M24

I can tell by the look of the paint after washing when it needs more wax. Before drying it, the water will not bead as well, but once it is dry, just the feel of the paint tells me it is time for a new coat
Already? (!)
Old 9/22/06, 05:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know what it is with bugs and the Grabber Orange color. When I clean the car on Saturdays, all the bugs want to help. I had some butterflies landing on it too. Weird.
Old 9/22/06, 06:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have been using the NXT Tech wax since I got my car, and I won't switch. Its amazing stuff, especially for the money. Very easy to put on, and take off. I may put some more on this weekend.
Old 9/22/06, 07:46 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

i've been a diehard Zaino person for 7-8 years now. I recently waxed my moms SUV for her and used NXT on it. I'd say it's as easy to apply and remove as doing a coat of Zaino. However, I wasn't impressed with the feel of it vs. Z2 or Z5. The Zaino just feels so clean and smooth like glass, the NXT didn't have that same softness. Also, it rained the next day and it didn't sheet off as well as Zaino does. To be fair, the SUV only got one coat of NXT.

For an everyday car, I'd say it's great because it's easy to find, a good price and better then most common brands. In a pure "wax performance" way, it's almost as good as Zaino. However for my Mustang, I'm sticking with Zaino.

k
Old 9/22/06, 08:03 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on all the feedback, i'm reccomending to a friend to use NXT on his brand new car. Knowing John is a picky guy, i'm sure its a great product.

I'm happy with the zaino for now and don't plan on switiching though.

It really comes down to personal preference... just like if you prefer a T-bone steak over a New Yorker
Old 9/22/06, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
I don't know what it is with bugs and the Grabber Orange color. When I clean the car on Saturdays, all the bugs want to help. I had some butterflies landing on it too. Weird.
I used to own a vette, and spent some time on the corvetteforum. I remember a thread about an owner with a yellow car whose daughter wouldn't get near the car with all the bugs that were landing on it. He had to drive it around to get the bugs off before she'd get in. I guess the yellow and orange colors remind the bugs of flowering plants. I have a sneaky suspicion about black attracting dragonflies and its possible resemblance to water. I see them around my car at work all the time. The only problem is they leave feces on the car.
Old 9/26/06, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
NXT Tech works well apply buff like crazy and I've noticed that after every wash or rain that the water just beads and in the rain most of the stuff just rolls or wash's off with very little effort , I'll get at max a good eight wash before I see a need to reapply.
Works For Me !
Old 9/26/06, 03:43 PM
I lust for a M24

Well, from what I'm reading it seems like NXT might offer as good, maybe even slightly better optics, but doesn't hold up quite as well.

Hey, to each his own. I wish the car had a little better finish (ie. more clear) so that I could wet-sand it without worrying about going too deep. Then we'd really be able to put the Z and NXT to the test.

Quick Reply: Mequiars NXT good enough - the debate is over!