Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Maguires NXT???

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/06, 06:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maguires NXT???

I heard so much about the maguires nxt that I decided to give it a try. I can honestly say that after my first time using it I am slightly disappointed in the wax. It just does not seem to have that smooth feel. Anybody else experience this? Should I give a few more applications??
Old 5/16/06, 08:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I use Zaino exclusively, but I have heard some good things about NXT. Your final results with whatever product you use will depend on your prep. Sounds like you need to "clean" your paint before you lay down your wax. I would claybar your paint first, you will then get that silky smooth feel you are after.

This is also the time to address any swirls you might have with a polish, always go least abrasive first. Good luck!
Old 5/16/06, 08:56 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you don't have the smooth feel? Perhaps you didn't use enough or maybe the paint was not prepped properly. I have used NXT and Zaino and several other products. NXT definately gives a very smooth feel when it is applied and normally only requires 1 application.

Edit: I guess I should discuss this a bit more. Before you wax you should remove all contaminants from the surface. The best way to do this is to wash the car using Dawn liquid detergent. This will remove all the old wax and grease on the surface. Then use a claybar to remove any rail dust, tree sap, etc. Wash the car again, but this time use a proper car wash product. Dry the vehicle and now apply the wax. NXT is easy to apply but must be done in the shade and applied to a cool surface. Once the wax is applied let it sit for at least 30 minutes. After which, rub your finger along the wax. It should remove fairly easily. If the paint looks greasy let it sit for a little longer. Use a cotton towel or microfiber cloth to remove the wax. The surface should feel very smooth now.

As for the comparison of NXT to Zaino's, since I have used both all I can say is NXT looks just as good as Zaino's unfortunately it does not last as long. You will find that if you want to keep that nice smooth feel and excellent gloss you will need to wax the car every 6 weeks.
Old 5/16/06, 09:05 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with what was posted above, I think you're best bet is the paint has a lot of contaminants in it. I have heard great things about NXT.

I used Zaino on my car and claybarred it as per instructions. The car was only a few months old but still managed to have a lot of crud in the paint.

You'll probably be very impressed with the results if you get the meguiars clay bar kit (it comes with quick detailer) and then hitting it with another coat or two of NXT
Old 5/16/06, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input.. I will try the clay bar technique.. The car pretty much stays in the garage never under any trees etc... And only has 2,000 miles on it.. But I am the second owner so i do not know how the other guy was waxing it.......