Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Light scratches in black paint.

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/05, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best way to get them out? I'm not sure I want to take it back to them. They are not real bad, but I can see them. any help??
Old 4/4/05, 08:32 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Best "off the shelf" stuff I've found for black (just sold a black '03 GT) is Meguiars Tech Wax. I tried just about all the other "off the shelf" products for scratches and it gave me the best results by far. Tried Scratch X, 3M and several others. I threw all of them away except the Tech Wax.

BTW, there's something about the black or the clearcoat Ford's using now that seems to scratch a LOT easier than it has in the past. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and the paint on my '03 drove me crazy! So much so that after 3 black Mustangs, I gave in and bought white.
Old 4/4/05, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by StangNut@April 4, 2005, 9:35 PM
Best "off the shelf" stuff I've found for black (just sold a black '03 GT) is Meguiars Tech Wax. I tried just about all the other "off the shelf" products for scratches and it gave me the best results by far. Tried Scratch X, 3M and several others. I threw all of them away except the Tech Wax.

BTW, there's something about the black or the clearcoat Ford's using now that seems to scratch a LOT easier than it has in the past. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and the paint on my '03 drove me crazy! So much so that after 3 black Mustangs, I gave in and bought white.
Thanks, would that be the tech wax paste, or liquid?
Old 4/4/05, 09:37 PM
V6 Member

Black can be a pain, no doubt. Be VERY careful if your gonna use an abrasive to "polish" out those scratches, otherwise you'll end up with more or the area you polish may end up with a light haze.

If you don't want to go that route and if your scratches are very light or micro scratches...or etching (or whatever the official term is), then you can use either a wax or polymer to help cover it up. Most waxes will cover it quite well...the best polymer out there in my opinion is Zaino. If you use Zaino you'll want to get the Z5.
Old 4/4/05, 09:48 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

I have had many scratches caused by lookie loos, carless passengers and family...on my black gt.

I am using Turtle wax scratch and swirl remover, very mild on paint.. and Meguires Tech wax afterwards. Follow the directions completely.
Between the two I have removed every abrasion and scratch - some up to 8 inches long.....Buy buffs pads etc.. I spent about 30$ on both the polish, wax and pads.

I also had the paint protected from swirls with a protectant thrown in by the dealer. I have no Swirls - so far and I have washed about 40 times..

Keep your water VERY clean- I use mothers california gold car wash soap - Good stuff Doesnt attack the paint or wax- found at any car parts store. Dont forget more than one very good wash mit and rinse it often. DO Not use the same wash mit for the rocker panels that you will use on the top half of the car (bottom of doors up).
Old 4/4/05, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

the z5 is great however their new product the ZFX from zaino works 10x better because its even easier toapply andwipe off and it gives the same if not better results. Zaino is my choice for all wax and scratch remover type things. i cant get enough of how well it works
Old 4/4/05, 10:15 PM
GT Member

Thanks guys, I have been looking at the zaino websight, so much to look at! But isn't the zfx an additive? And I'm not sure, but I thought it said for non clear coated surface? Sorry about all the questions, I just don't want to make things worse.......I appreciate all the help.
Old 4/5/05, 10:58 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
liquid
Old 4/5/05, 11:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Check this site out....tons of great how-to stuff!
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/
Old 4/5/05, 11:38 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3M Grey Glaze does a great job in filling fine scratches and hiding them before you wax the car. It is a liquid that can be applied using a machine or by hand. I used it on all of my black cars.
Old 4/5/05, 12:05 PM
GT Member

I would assume they use the same painting process on all colors (but I could be wrong). The difference is black is the most reflective so you see more imperfections on it. I would bet the same scratches are on silver but you just can't see em. I think no matter how good a paint job it is black will still show the most imperfections. I think we all already know this... I am not aware of a good known remedy.