Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

I crashed my baby...

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/05, 03:54 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah add me into the "I destroyed my baby" group... I had a blowout going about 40mph on a twisty local road and spun out so badly that I ended up in/on the dirt & tree filled embankment on the OPPOSITE side of the road. I'm fine physically, but as for the Stang, there's front end damage and a LOT of cosmetic damage all over the car.

This just happened about 3 hours ago... I'm still nauseous and shaky and heartbroken. Pretty much unsure what the future holds... I don't have rental coverage on my insurance policy because I only just started managing at the store I work in July of this year. I couldn't afford my own insurance so I'm under my father's plan (Geico). And unfortunately I'm down on that plan as "primary recreational driver" for the Stang.

My boss is a great, understanding guy and I called him an hour ago to tell him what happened, but he told me (and rightfully so) that if I can't get to work in Nassau county (I live in Suffolk) that he will have to find someone else for the job. On one hand I could care less about this $10 an hour job -- there are probably other better things out there for someone with my talents. But at the same time, I fit in so well with the team I work with... we're a motley bunch and we have our share of bizarre infighting but it always seems to work out in the end.

The insurance company (Geico) says it will take 6 days for an adjuster to even show up at the body shop where I had my car towed. I trust the guys there implicitly and I know they will do what they can for my baby. And in the meantime, yeah, I know, it's "just a car." But I know you guys of anyone out there will understand my agony.

So I have no car, but I have to be at work for sure this Monday. Until then we're going to try to rearrange our schedules so I can get a ride to the closer store and work there (we have one in Commack, which is about 10 minutes away from my house. It's just getting to Nassau (Oceanside) that will be the huge problem.

I just don't know what to do right now... I'm hoping you guys can help with some suggestions, and yeah, I guess I'm sort of looking for a lap to curl up in and cry my eyes out.

--=K

PS Crag, I know I promised you pictures of the car with the GT bumper and CDC spoiler, but... well... unless you want to see the smashed up pieces.... :-(
Old 9/29/05, 04:06 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,190 Likes on 2,337 Posts
Kim as Long as You Are Ok Thats what is important. You will find a way! From the looks of your Sig you have been busy! Maybe it's Time for a new Job. Looks Like you are working up to a GT appetite! It will be OK! Put Some of that talent you have to good Use and get paid for it! From what I know of your Present job it does not sound like your Loyalty and value have been considered or appreciated. Time to move on.

kc
Old 9/29/05, 04:15 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
oh geeze..I'm sorry to hear it bit am glad you are ok..a broken heart is far better than a lost life.
Keep your chin up Kim and all will be good in the end
Good luck!
Old 9/29/05, 04:57 PM
V6 Member

I have some good news...

My boss, George (a former body shop guy who loves Mustangs even more than I do) went over to look at the car and he said it's not as bad as I thought it was. Mostly cosmetic damage and replacing safety parts (what I thought was a bent front axle is apparently the lower control arms which bent purposefully). The estimate is approx 2 weeks right now, assuming the Geico adjuster gets down there in a timely fashion.

Not only did George look over the car, he offered to drive me to work three days out of the week and my dad will come pick me up until the car is fixed. That makes 2 weeks seem like a lot less time.

I'm feeling a little better... things are coming together and people are actually stepping up and helping me out. I'm not used to having friends like this -- I've had some serious trust issues in the past and am generally more of a loner. But I guess the best part of all this is finding out who my friends really are.

Now all I have to worry about is my finances (time to rearrange the budget, huzzah) and the fact that my transportation is at the mercy of others for the near future. Not too bad, I guess.

I have a better boss than I thought, and all those @#&%$ rock dings in my paint will be fixed. :-)

--=K
Old 9/29/05, 05:13 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everything will be fine..

from the sound of it the airbags didn't blow.. that's usually a good sign.
Old 9/29/05, 05:30 PM
V6 Member

Galaxie--

You are correct, the airbags did not deploy. I imagine if I had side air bags installed they would have, since the front passenger side made an intimate acquaintance with a tree, but...

--=K
Old 9/29/05, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Glad the car is not as badly damaged as you thought and that you are okay.

I was rearended a couple months ago, so I just wanna give you a little warning about parts issues. Depending on what needs to be replaced, it might take a little longer than two weeks. There are some parts that are on national backorder for some reason still.

Goodluck with everything, i am sure it will all work out well, and hope you dont have to wait as long as i did.
Old 9/30/05, 08:56 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,190 Likes on 2,337 Posts
Originally posted by uofh2005@September 29, 2005, 7:05 PM
Glad the car is not as badly damaged as you thought and that you are okay.

I was rearended a couple months ago, so I just wanna give you a little warning about parts issues. Depending on what needs to be replaced, it might take a little longer than two weeks. There are some parts that are on national backorder for some reason still.

Goodluck with everything, i am sure it will all work out well, and hope you dont have to wait as long as i did.
Kim If you Send Me Your estimate I can Check Parts Availability on The Oe Parts for you. That way if Something is Going to be Back Ordered I can Give you a Heads Up before it is a Problem. Many Dealers will simply order the Parts with the They get here when they get here attitude. Also If your Insurance Company will Pay You instead of the Bodyshop Direct you can use the Money to Buy say a Different Hood or Bumper fascia and get mods done on their Dollar Amounts. Make Lemonade out of The Lemon. Also Lets say you have two Damaged Wheels and Tires. You Could Get a Set Of Gt Take offs or Purchase two AfterMarket Wheels and get the other Pair later. These are just examples. Now not all insurance Companies will pay you Direct but it's a Thought and I know of other members that have done this. MAXIMIZE your Resources! BTW You could get your B/S to write there own estimate rather than wait for Geico's estimate to get the process rolling.

kc
Old 9/30/05, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

Hey Kev

As soon as I get the estimate from the body shop (or adjuster, whichever comes first I guess) I will send you a copy so I know what to expect. Thanks! :-)

Also, thank you Nate for the heads up.

--=K
Old 10/3/05, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05stangkc is right about getting the B/S to do an estimate so they can get started on the repairs right away - just be sure the ins. co. knows and agrees ( they usually do )

mine was scraped on side door and fenderwell one friday a month ago coming home from work - IDIOT encroached into my lane!

still, she is not back yet - cause of the "part back order" thing and we waited on a cold press factory part so she can be exactly like original - but thru all my anguish - it will be worth it when she comes back just like she was - not to mention the ins. co. was glad i asked the shop to do this -

also, make lemonade - mine is having some mods while she is in there - that i hoped to do anyway - and she will come out better than ever!

good luck and hang in there - we feel your pain.....