Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

How do you wash?

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest I've never had a car nice enough to merit the hand washing process. So until now everything went through the car wash. So I was curious what method do people use when washing their car?

Do you wash from the top-down? Do you wash a panel, rinse it off, then wash another panel or do you wash the whole care then rinse it off?
Old 6/9/05, 11:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vacuum interior first. Then clean and dress the rims and tires. Then wash from the top down, however, I only wash 1 side at a time then rinse, wash the other side and rinse the entire car. You don't want the soap to start drying on the paint. Make sure you dry the car as well. On dark colour cars if you leave water on it (water spots) in the direct sun you can damage the clear coat. I have seen this happen on a lot of cars. The clear coat can crack because the water droplets act like a magnifying glass.
Old 6/9/05, 03:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I rinse the whole car first, then start on the hood and just work my way around the car. As said, be sure to wash the soap off when you're done..and I mist the car as well so to stop water spots.

However...see the Mr. Clean thread...as I'm liking it 'cause there is no water spots.
Old 6/9/05, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 9, 2005, 9:25 AM
Vacuum interior first. Then clean and dress the rims and tires. Then wash from the top down, however, I only wash 1 side at a time then rinse, wash the other side and rinse the entire car. You don't want the soap to start drying on the paint. Make sure you dry the car as well. On dark colour cars if you leave water on it (water spots) in the direct sun you can damage the clear coat. I have seen this happen on a lot of cars. The clear coat can crack because the water droplets act like a magnifying glass.

You dress the wheels and tires before washing the car? :scratch:
Old 6/9/05, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Rinse the car first, do not use the nozzle. Just run the water over the car. Use top down method.
2. Use Meguairs Car Wash and wash the car with a terry towel.
3. Dry with old bath towels ( clean ones)
4. Apply polymer sealant (do not use wax). Do one panel at a time.
5. Take hazed polymer sealant off with a soft cloth then polish with a clean chamois.
6. Make sure that you do not put the polymer sealant on in direct sunlight. Car should be cool to the touch not hot.
7. Clean Interior
8. Use Meguairs Interior Cleaner do not use Armoural as it leaves a slime build up.
Old 6/10/05, 08:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Badandy@June 9, 2005, 10:00 PM
You dress the wheels and tires before washing the car? :scratch:
Yes because it is a lot easier I find. That way when I am done the entire car all I need to do is wipe the water of the rim and off I go. Beats sitting around waiting for the tire dressing to set in so it doesn't spray off the tire onto the paint when I drive away.
Old 6/10/05, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well after three hours I managed to get my car washed, waxed, tires cleaned, leather treated, and dash treated. I haven't worked that hard on a car in my life .

I'm going to have to get Meguiar's Scratch X for the next coat since I missed some spots on the paint (two bugs). I have pics posted on the 05 thread.

Used Meguiars Gold Class car wash, liquid wax, leather treatment, quick interior treatment, and their Hot Wheel's wheel cleaner and tire shine.

I need to move fast next time or wait until a little later in the day because I did get some water spotting that of course buffed right out.
Old 6/10/05, 08:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Top down, one panel at a time works for me
Old 6/15/05, 02:43 PM
FR500 Member

I used to wash my wheels first but found that if I do, by the time I'm done with the car the brake rotors are all rusty. So, now I wash the car first. I start at the bottom actually, and the reason is you want to keep the car wet until you dry it so that it doesn't dry on it's own and spot. So, if you start at the top, the roof and hood and windshileds are going to dry the quickest and be dry before you have a chance to wet it after washing the other parts of the car. I start out with the front bumper and front fenders. Then, one side of the car up to the top of the door. Then, the rear bumper and trunk. Then, the other side, rinsing in between. After that, I spray the wheels and the tail pipes with some wheel cleaner and clean those real good. Last, I wash the back windshield, roof, front windshield and hood at the same time. Then a final rinse followed by Mr. Clean AutoDry, and then I take a short drive to clean the brake rotors. Finally, once I get back I give the tires a final wipe and then spray some tire shine. While that's drying, I either go to cleaning the inside or waxing the outside. I've just started rotating the two where I'll wax the outside one weekend and clean the inside the next weekend. That's been working well.
Old 6/15/05, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Top down Rinse

Clean with a washing mitt the: Roof, Hood, Back deck, Back Bumper, Drivers side, Front Bumper, Passanger side. I use a seperate mitt and bucket for the Rims/tires and the area behind the tires.

I use a clean chamois to dry the car. Wash the windows and mirrors.

I spray the tires last with Black Magic Tire Cleaner/Shine.

Waxing with the 3 step Meguires system twice a year. Else I spot wax a panel if it seems to need it.
Old 7/19/05, 07:49 PM
GT Member

Usually I wash the car once a week and follow this process... Of course, this is really hard in the winter time.. I know, I know..who's got time to do all of this? .. But for me, it's relaxing...

1. Wet car with no nozzle.. Just let the water sheet off the car to loosen any contaminates that are on the surface before you start washing.
2. I use Meg. Gold Car wash... It's ok..not the best I've ever used... Use a soft microfiber mitt/towel to wash the car...Top to bottom... (If you go bottom to top you're picking all of the road grime on the lower part of your car and putting on your hood, trunk etc... Here come the swirls (if you have a dark car)). I was told by a prof detaililer to never use Armor All on anything... The oils make your top, dash, etc... look good, but apparently they also dry out the leather, rubber, and vinyl in the long run. For the interior, the "experts" say you should use a water based cleaner/protecter like the Pinnacle line. (Autogeek has it). I use RaggTopp cleaner on my convertible top and rinse off with a hose. Also, don't use a nozzle.. .Just let the water run out of the hose and gravity will take alot of the water off... Less drying needed.
3. Do wheels next... I use black magic wheel cleaner then give the whole car one more rinse letting the water just run off the car.
4. Dry with a plush microfiber towel. Do door jambs, under the hood, trunk etc...
5. (Don't laugh) I get my leaf blower out and blow out the grill, side rear views (water loves to hide in there).. There isn't anything more frustrating the getting done, closing the door, and getting a big drip down the side.
6. Every 6 months I polish with Klasse All in one... This stuff is great...Comes off easy too. Put it on your wheels also... Makes the brake dust easier to get off next time you wash. Use a microfiber pad and microfiber towel to buff and you buff it out as you go... (one section at a time)
7. With every 6th wash I layer Klasse Sealant on top (maybe a couple of coats depending on my mood). Be careful... Don't put alot of this on!! If you can see it after you apply, you're putting too much on. It will smear and smudge and you will break your arm trying to get it off. Also, the longer you wait (sometimes I leave it on overnight), the better the seal and shine. Once again, microfiber pad to apply and microfiber towel to buff. Pick up some instant detailer (Meg. Final Touch) to spray on the pads while applying... it helps put the sealant on smoothly and avoids heavy spots so buffing is easier...
8. Then I move to the inside while the Klasse Sealant is drying... I use the Pinnacle Leather Conditioner on the seats and Pinnacle Vinyl and Rubber protectant on the dash, doors... (i.e. everything rubber or vinyl). Stoner Invisible glass on the gauges, satin trim..
9. Polish off the Klasse Sealant if I put it on...
10. Then put some Meg. Carnuba on to seal and protect the car. I do this every 6th wash also. Microfiber pad and microfiber towel to buff..
11 Do the windows with Stoner's Invisible Glass.

It's a time consuming process but I am very impressed with the "wet look" I get. The problem with this process is its expensive in terms of time and patience. I'm not saying this is the best way out there, it's just the way I've decided to do it from all the research I've done and trial and error.