Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Help from Japan (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/13, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help from Japan (Again)

Hello, all!
I've been going through the Car Care forum for the past few weeks looking for good recommendations for cleaning my black 2011 GT. There is a ton of good info and knowledgeable people here, but it's enough to make your head spin if you are new to detailing your car.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but can somebody please help me? I'm not trying to be lazy or anything by posting a new thread. I've really been trying to do my homework, but I'm so confused on what to get.

I'm an American, but I live in Japan. We don't seem have any of the popular detailing products that are available in the States. I want to order some things from back home, but I only have a Japanese credit card which limits me to shopping at Amazon. Unfortunately, I can't use my card at places like auto geek, etc...

My car is kept outside and due to space limitations, I can only wash it at my local gas station. They know me there and I can usually take my time, but I'm looking for simple, basic solutions that I can use in under 2 hours.

So...

For the clay bar it looks like many people like Mother's or Meguiars. Are either of those ok? They seem to come with the required detailer, right?

As for wax, I was looking at Meguiars NXT, but it comes in liquid and paste... Any difference there? I was also looking at Mother's stuff like California Gold, but can't find too many people using it on the forum. I'd love to try Zanio, but it isn't on Amazon, so maybe next time. What do you guys think?

Also, I want to get some microfiber towels for waxing (not drying), but can't seem to remember the most popular brands. Perhaps it was Cobra?

Is there anything else I would need, or is this the basic stuff to get decent results?

Thanks everybody...
Old 1/3/13, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think it sounds like you're on the right track! Detailing a black car can be frightening but it's definitely worth it in the end.

Personally I like meguiars products, but that's just because I have more experience with them. For every die hard meg's guy out there, there is an equally die hard mothers fan, and you really can't go wrong with either of them.

I'd start with the meguiars clay kit, which comes with quick detail spray like you said, and then NXT wax is a great choice, liquid or paste is really up to personal preference, if you're applying by hand I prefer paste because I find it's easier to apply evenly by hand than liquid. But that's just my preference.

Cobra is a great brand for microfibers, and make sure you get some wax applicators like these to apply your NXT wax:

Meguiar's HiTech Applicator Pad - Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive Meguiar's HiTech Applicator Pad - Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive

If I could add to your shopping list, I'd suggest a sealant to go with your wax, I like chemical guys 109, but it's a little on the pricy side, there are lots of good options for sealants.

And a spray wax like meguiars quik wax (
Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax : Amazon.com : Automotive Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax : Amazon.com : Automotive
)

The spray wax is something you can do at home in a matter of minutes that will really make your car pop after you wash.
Old 1/4/13, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks a lot Kevin! I really appreciate your input!

The spray wax is for in between waxing to keep the car looking great?
Old 1/4/13, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by whokilledkaji
Thanks a lot Kevin! I really appreciate your input!

The spray wax is for in between waxing to keep the car looking great?
No problem man.

Yeah, the spray wax will extend then amount of time between when you have to wax too. Each time your car gets dirty and you wash it you loose a little bit of that wax protection that you applied and the spray wax restores that lost protection. It's also great if you need to make your car look "freshly detailed" in a hurry for whatever reason.

I find that the meguiars quik wax spray specifically has some 'filling' properties as well and will hide mild imperfections, which should be a big help on a black car.
Old 1/5/13, 07:10 PM
Detailing Guru

Spray waxes and quicker detailer products are also great for harder to reach areas, and areas not exposed to the sun (and therefore waxes last a lot longer) like inside of the door jambs, underside of the trunk, underside of the hood, and water channels.

Any clay bar kit should work fine as they usually come with everything needed, and there are only so many actual clay manufacturers, so most are very very similar. The same can be said of the microfiber towels you asked about: few manufacturers, so find something that is good locally and take good care of them.

Kevin gave some outstanding advice above, and I think you'll find your results favorable should you follow it. Good luck!
Old 1/5/13, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.adamspolishes.com

Best stuff I have ever used - period

Look into the kits and you will find everything you could ever need. Not sure if the credit card thing will be an issue though.

The kit comes with a DVD on proper detailing and maintenance as well. Their website even has forums with great advice!

Last edited by Cristoff; 1/5/13 at 07:15 PM.
Old 1/5/13, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Kevin gave some outstanding advice above, and I think you'll find your results favorable should you follow it. Good luck!

That means a lot coming from you! I just try my best to help out, but I'm a very amateur detailer. haha
Old 1/5/13, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great info, the best detail spray, IMO and all I ever use is Speed Demon by Surf City, I has Carnuba in it and gives it a mild wax bump in between clay bar/wax.. The sun here in Phoenix is very harsh, along with the dirt!
Old 1/6/13, 02:54 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by Kevin509

That means a lot coming from you! I just try my best to help out, but I'm a very amateur detailer. haha
Yes, but that's more than most are willing, let alone you're spot-on. Amateur or not, I bet you're more experienced and care more for your baby (and therefore she looks better than everyone else's car too!) than 99.9% of the population.
Kudos!
Old 3/21/13, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all of the good info everybody!

I actually just got my package from America this afternoon! It took forever!
I got all Meguiars products... The Smooth Surface Clay Kit, NXT Tech Wax 2.0 paste, Ultimate Quik Wax, Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels, even coat microfiber applicator pads and soft foam applicator pads. I also got some Stoner Invisible Glass window cleaner.

It looks like it'll be fairly nice this week, so I'm thinking about detailing tomorrow since I'm on spring break now.

This is my first time using most of these products, so I need some advise!

There is no place to wash the car in my city, so I have it hand washed at a Cosmo Service Station. I'd do it myself, but the quarter (100 yen) joint in my city closed down last year... They do a fantastic job though! I even help them wash and dry because they know me really well. Not many Mustangs in these parts.

So...

I'll clean my windows before leaving home using Stoner stuff. Is it true that crumpled newspaper works well to clean windows? Otherwise, microfiber?

Then head to to the station and help them wash and dry the car thoroughly.

Next, apply lubricant and clay the car a little section at a time. Use the Supreme Shine towels to wipe the surface dry. Do I need to wash again? That would get expensive, but I'll do it if necessary.

Apply NXT wax and remove with Supreme Shine towels when dried... Does it need to be on a long time? I can't occupy the gas station area all day. It'll be cool and cloudy tomorrow, so hopefully it will dry fast. (If the car doesn't need to be washed again, I suppose I could do this and the clay bar steps in my home parking lot.)

Should I also apply the Quik Wax??? Is that only for in between big waxing jobs?

I know that's pretty basic, but do I have it mostly right? Any detail, help or advise would be really appreciated. You guys are the only lifeline that I have!

I'm a little nervous!

Last edited by whokilledkaji; 3/21/13 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added product details
Old 3/21/13, 11:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll clean my windows before leaving home using Stoner stuff. Is it true that crumpled newspaper works well to clean windows? Otherwise, microfiber?
Short answer, yes. Plain white venegar also does a good job at cleaning the window, and imo works best at removing water spots from glass.

Next, apply lubricant and clay the car a little section at a time. Use the Supreme Shine towels to wipe the surface dry. Do I need to wash again? That would get expensive, but I'll do it if necessary.
You don't have to wash again. Liberally spray the detail spray, and apply gentle pressure to the clay bar. Move it in straight lines across the panel. after each panel fold the clay, knead it and flatten in back out. then wipe the area dry. I find when claying it's better to do a 2'x2' section at a time.

Apply NXT wax and remove with Supreme Shine towels when dried... Does it need to be on a long time? I can't occupy the gas station area all day. It'll be cool and cloudy tomorrow, so hopefully it will dry fast. (If the car doesn't need to be washed again, I suppose I could do this and the clay bar steps in my home parking lot.)
Make sure you apply the wax in a shaded area. It only takes about 5 minutes for the wax to dry. When removing the wax I do the karate kid method ( wax on wax off lol) Do this one body panel at a time, because the longer the wax is on the harder it is to get off.

Should I also apply the Quik Wax??? Is that only for in between big waxing jobs?
You don't have to, but it will increase the shine.
Old 3/22/13, 04:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Steven!

I actually went out and detailed before I saw your reply, but its reassuring.

It went really well and I'm super happy with the results! The Stang looks great! Maybe even shinier than the day I bought it!

I do have one more question though...

I did have some nasty water spots that the clay couldn't seem to get out. What does everybody use for those and in between which step do you apply it?

Thanks again!
Old 3/22/13, 09:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
try this, http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ve-Water-Spots
You'll have to wax the spot again after you do it