Introductions Please For Your First Post Tell Us Your Mustang Story, Details about Your Car and Some Pics Would be Great! Thank You!

Konnichiwa from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/11, 06:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Konnichiwa from Japan!

Hello everybody and nice to meet you!

I've been poking around the forums for a few months while waiting for my new mustang to arrive, but since its only 2 days away, I figured it was time to introduce myself!

I was born and raised in Detroit, but I've been living and working in Japan since 2002. So I guess I have to give everybody the customary, "Konnichiwa!"
I never thought I'd stay so long, but Japan has been very good to me...

My dad (and most of my cousins) worked for Ford, so I grew up around Mustangs and have always dreamed of owning one! One of my earliest memories is sitting in my Dad's Mach 1 in the McDonalds drive thru as he reved the engine for me (I always begged him to!) and scared the poor lady into dropping my shake! I think I laughed and cried!

Anyways, I'm so excited to get my 5.0 that I can't think of anything else! It's going to be so awesome driving one here! It's a piece of home, if you know what I mean...

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions because I'm really cut off here, so keep an eye out for me!

Thanks!
Old 6/29/11, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums! What part of Japan do you live in? I hope to visit there sometime myself.

Will your Mustang have to be right-hand drive? Do they have those in Japan already? What model did you order?

Tanoshinde!
Old 6/29/11, 07:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I live near Kyoto, in Shiga Prefecture. It's beautiful here and the roads are fantastic!
If you look on a map, I live really near the biggest lake in Japan! Can't wait to cruise the lakeside road!

I ordered a 2011 Mustang GT! That's the newest model in Japan right now since 2012 models won't be out until January.

Ford Japan only offers 3 models and very few extra options. Almost everything comes as standard though! We have the V6 premium, GT premium coupe and convertible. Only 3 colors! I chose black, but we also have white and red as well. There will be a limited grabber blue model coming soon, but only in V6 coupe. My seats are saddle leather as that's the only choice,
The only thing I wasn't thrilled about is that HIDs are standard. I actually prefer the look of the halogens, but I know HIDs are better...

Also, there are a few modifications that are made in Japan to make the car street legal. My taillights won't blink sequentially and have a yellow marker in the outermost divider. My side mirrors fold in as well... Also, there is a silly protector around the 5.0 badge that I'll have to take off... Other than that, it's pretty much the same car I could buy back home. It's left hand drive too since Ford has never offered a RHD Mustang and won't until the 50th anniversary models come out.
Old 6/30/11, 08:53 AM

I too have been reading the forums for awhile. Finally made an account today! That's pretty awesome that you're going to have a Mustang in Japan!
Old 6/30/11, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

That sounds great! I've seen pictures of the Kyoto area, and the lake you're talking about. I definitely want to see that someday...

I would actually like to have those tail lights! I prefer to have yellow turn signals that are independent from the brake lights, so that if I'm stopped in traffic folks behind me would see yellow flashers and brake lights!
Old 6/30/11, 10:59 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome!! have you seen these http://www.streetfire.net/video/epis...pan_645687.htm
Old 6/30/11, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everybody!
Yeah! I've seen the drift Japan videos, but only recently.
Thanks for the link! I love that parking garage segment!
My car will be parked underground too, but it's a much more simple system like an elevator.

The Mustang is coming tonight!!!
Old 6/30/11, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome! Congratulations... Pics please!!!
Old 7/1/11, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Took delivery today! Will post some pics soon!
Darn thing wouldn't fit in my underground parking space! only had about 3cm on each side and that's too close for comfort!
I'll have to park it outside! Doh!
Old 7/1/11, 07:30 AM

Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures
Old 7/1/11, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

I love Japan... such a cool country. I lived there when I was younger and am looking to go back for a long vacation soon. I can't imagine how cool it'd be driving around in a 5.0 over there. I'm sure the locals would love it.
Old 7/1/11, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Well! I was too busy driving to take many pictures today, but here is the first! Taken just before the maiden voyage!!!

Old 7/1/11, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I love Japan... such a cool country. I lived there when I was younger and am looking to go back for a long vacation soon. I can't imagine how cool it'd be driving around in a 5.0 over there. I'm sure the locals would love it.
Where in Japan did you live?

I imagine that driving a 5.0 anywhere is great, but man!!! What a feeling tonight!!! I can't wipe the smile off my face!!!
Old 7/1/11, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome!!! Enjoy

Originally Posted by whokilledkaji
Well! I was too busy driving to take many pictures today, but here is the first! Taken just before the maiden voyage!!!

Old 7/1/11, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

How do you say, "Woo Hoo!" in Japanese?
Old 7/1/11, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
How do you say, "Woo Hoo!" in Japanese?
Yatta ne!
Old 7/2/11, 07:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by whokilledkaji
Where in Japan did you live?

I imagine that driving a 5.0 anywhere is great, but man!!! What a feeling tonight!!! I can't wipe the smile off my face!!!
Okinawa and Tokyo.

What type of reactions have you been getting from the Japanese? I know the Mustang and V8 engines alone are very rare over there!
Old 7/2/11, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member Eu Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Europe
Old 7/3/11, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Okinawa and Tokyo.

What type of reactions have you been getting from the Japanese? I know the Mustang and V8 engines alone are very rare over there!
Were you in the military?

So far, I've had some great reactions! Caught my neighbor (who drives a Porsche) examining it with a great big smile on his face... It was the first time I've ever talked to him!

Everybody checks it out! It so rare here that I think some people don't even know what it is... It gets a lot of double and triple takes!

My wife is driving it to work tomorrow, since I have to take a train... That'll cause quite a stir! Can't wait to hear!
Old 7/14/11, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is another picture! Can you spot the differences between a true US spec and Japanese spec Mustang GT?

Last edited by whokilledkaji; 7/14/11 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Picture formatting error...

Quick Reply: Konnichiwa from Japan!