Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Girlfriend scuffed seat a little

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/05, 11:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the scuff is on the vinyl part on the outer side of the back of the passenger seat. It is only about 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide, but it is whitened by the scuff. Anyone know how to conceal it as much as possible? I was thinking of hitting it VERY lightly with one swipe of black shoe polish (charcoal interior). At the very least it would color the white. Does anyone have any better ideas?
Old 7/14/05, 11:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope she wont be riding with you again :P
Old 7/14/05, 11:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ask her to help you buff out the scuff in the backseat. Make sure to tell her it will require a lot of rubbing.
Old 7/14/05, 11:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@July 14, 2005, 11:28 PM
Ask her to help you buff out the scuff in the backseat. Make sure to tell her it will require a lot of rubbing.
Ha Ha! Seriously though, can just buffing it work?
Old 7/14/05, 11:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 15, 2005, 12:29 AM
Ha Ha! Seriously though, can just buffing it work?
Can't hurt. Before using shoe polish (on vinyl), I'd try some other products, maybe something from Armoral (totally wrong spelling).
Old 7/14/05, 11:38 PM
Cobra Member

I gotta ask the question... WHAT WAS SHE DOING IN THE BACK SEAT AND WHERE WERE YOU? Maybe some people should accept responsibility for their fun, er, actions...
Old 7/14/05, 11:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by pitpup@July 14, 2005, 11:41 PM
I gotta ask the question... WHAT WAS SHE DOING IN THE BACK SEAT AND WHERE WERE YOU? Maybe some people should accept responsibility for their fun, er, actions...
HA! No...you all misunderstood. I meant the scuff is on the seat back, not back seat. On the side of the front passenger seat under the little airbag tag thingy. Honestly, I didn't even see her do it, but she is literally the only that has been in the passenger seat in a month, and I have gone over the interior with a fine-toothed comb in that month, so she gets the blame. It's not a stretch. She tends to be a little inattentive at times. But anyway, like I said, not the back seat, but the seat back. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 7/15/05, 01:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 14, 2005, 10:43 PM
HA! No...you all misunderstood. I meant the scuff is on the seat back, not back seat. On the side of the front passenger seat under the little airbag tag thingy. Honestly, I didn't even see her do it, but she is literally the only that has been in the passenger seat in a month, and I have gone over the interior with a fine-toothed comb in that month, so she gets the blame. It's not a stretch. She tends to be a little inattentive at times. But anyway, like I said, not the back seat, but the seat back. Sorry for the confusion.
Those dang stiletto heels on the SEAT-BACK!!!
It can only be done from the back seat! She gets the blame ,eh?
You asked her out in the first place , time to look in the mirror.

Seriously,the toned down shoe polish should help. Call it "distressed leather".Describes your mood.
Old 7/15/05, 03:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Have you tried just using your leather protectant on it? That might fix it quicker and easier than shoe polish.
Old 7/15/05, 04:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would go to a fabric store and see if they have some leather dye.
Shoe polish would work, temporarily, and it's messy if you get it on something else.
Old 7/15/05, 05:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 15, 2005, 1:43 AM
Well you got jipped if you didnt even get to see her do it my freind I would call an upholstry place...spelled wrong I think....they would definitely know what to use. No sense in making it worse. And next time pay more attention when she is in that position
Old 7/15/05, 05:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Webba@July 15, 2005, 5:30 AM
Well you got jipped if you didnt even get to see her do it my freind I would call an upholstry place...spelled wrong I think....they would definitely know what to use. No sense in making it worse. And next time pay more attention when she is in that position

Call the Used car manager at your dealership and ask him. Dealers have this happen all the time. We have 2-3 outside vendors that come here each week to do cosmetic repair of all types from vinyl to windshield chips, to paint chips. It's pretty cheap and would professionally done.
Old 7/15/05, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I tried 303 Protectant, Lexol, Armor All, etc. None of them worked. I hit is lightly with black shoe polish, and it is better. If wiped one way, the scuff is gone, but if rubbed the other way you can see it. It is such a light scuff, I can't believe I can't get rid of it completely!
Old 7/15/05, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

You could always say the cow who wore the hide got too close to the branding iron! Now THAT'S authentic leather seating!

On a serious note, I think you've got the right idea. Perhaps a vinyl or leather dye would do the trick a bit better than shoe polish. It would seep into the skin more.

Does your girlfriend wear rings that might scratch upholstery? That might become a problem...
Old 7/15/05, 06:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 15, 2005, 6:13 PM
You could always say the cow who wore the hide got too close to the branding iron! Now THAT'S authentic leather seating!

On a serious note, I think you've got the right idea. Perhaps a vinyl or leather dye would do the trick a bit better than shoe polish. It would seep into the skin more.

Does your girlfriend wear rings that might scratch upholstery? That might become a problem...
HA! I don't allow her to wear watches or rings when riding in the stang. She thinks it's ridiculous, but then again she didn't just spend $30k on the car. I was thinking about dye too. I think I may head to the Ford dealership tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

I am buying a 95-99 Cherokee in the coming weeks as soon as I find one that is in good shape. I have vowed that no one but me will ever ride in my car after the Jeep is purchased. I really bought it for my enjoyment, and I am coming to the conclusion that no one really cares about your property but you.
Old 7/15/05, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 15, 2005, 6:13 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Now, where in the world do you go to pick up charcoal vinyl or leather dye?
Old 7/15/05, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

You can fix it by getting rid of her !!
Old 7/15/05, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@July 15, 2005, 6:25 PM
I have threatened! But, I can't do that. She is the only person that would put up with me!
Old 7/15/05, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by 05WindveilGT@July 15, 2005, 7:25 PM

Old 7/15/05, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 15, 2005, 7:21 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Now, where in the world do you go to pick up charcoal vinyl or leather dye?
I just googled this and it may point you in the right direction. A leather repair kit might be a sensible addition to any leather-equipped Mustang owner's tool box!

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/

FYI - I'm on the same page as you with regard to wanting to preserve my car's appearance. Every nick, scrape, ding, dent or scuff is cause for alarm. Don't let anyone diminish their significance! They add up, and hurt your resale, not to mention your pride. I've gotten into arguments about how people treat my car. One time, my brother stomped his feet on the door sill of my Audi to get snow off of his feet. He reasoned that I wouldn't want snow on my carpet. WRONG! I'd rather have snow on my floor mats than scratches all over my door sill!

Let us know what works for you...

Quick Reply: Girlfriend scuffed seat a little