Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

First Waxing!

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/05, 12:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm waxing my car myself for the first time before I put it away for storing. I don't have the option of washing it a home, so I have to take it to wash it with a pressure hose first...Is it safe to drive it about 20 blocks before I get home where I can wax it? Or will do you think I'll pick up to must crap along the way?

Should I wax it at the car wash?

I'm worried about scratching the clearcoat.

I'm not even sure what the usual procedure is. I figure this is what I should do.

1.) Wash
2.) Polish
3.) Wax

Do I get under the hood? wheel wells? do I wax the black exterior trim? I know enough to stay away from the windows/headlights *laughs*

HELP!!!
Old 10/8/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High pressure wash under the car and in the wheel wells. You have a duster? 20 blocks should be OK.

Most polishes are wax. It's wax on, polish off. Do not wax the black trim. It'll look like crap with wax in the crevices. Use "Black Chrome" or other rubber/trim dressing.

I pressure wash parts of the engine bay once a year, be careful around electrical areas. Wipe dry. I use Armour ALL/2000 on under hood rubber/plastic.

If you don't have an indoor car cover, cover it with blankets, flannel sheets. STABIL in the gas tank is a good idea. Start it up every 2 or 3 weeks to operating temperature to keep the battery and electrical system charged...garage door open of course or with exhaust hoses piped outside.

And DON'T store stuff (Bicycles, junk etc.) ON or around your car. I've seen more cars that have had "garage mishaps" while stored than street accidents!

Are you in a humid area? If so get some of those odor/moisture bags for the interior. Maybe some moth *****/ mouse repellant too.