Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Engine bay

Old 12/28/15, 02:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Engine bay

Any ideas how safely clean our engine bays? Step? What to use?

Mine is full of dust :-(
Old 12/29/15, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time I wash my 2016, I spray the entire engine bay out with compressed air (I have an 80 gallon compressor), and wipe down the plastic parts with Meguiar's interior dressing. On my S197, things had gotten a little out of hand, so I needed to cover all the electrical bits (and exposed air filter element), then spray everything with a 10:1 mix of Simple Green (10 parts water/1 part Simple Green), let it sit for a few minutes, scrub with a soft brush, then rinse. I did that two or three times, then let everything dry, and dressed it with the interior dressing. I know that various companies make engine dressing, but I've never tried it.

The biggest issue is making sure that if you use water, you're covering your air filter, battery, and alternator with plastic sheeting.

JR
Old 12/29/15, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by godspunk32
Every time I wash my 2016, I spray the entire engine bay out with compressed air (I have an 80 gallon compressor), and wipe down the plastic parts with Meguiar's interior dressing. On my S197, things had gotten a little out of hand, so I needed to cover all the electrical bits (and exposed air filter element), then spray everything with a 10:1 mix of Simple Green (10 parts water/1 part Simple Green), let it sit for a few minutes, scrub with a soft brush, then rinse. I did that two or three times, then let everything dry, and dressed it with the interior dressing. I know that various companies make engine dressing, but I've never tried it. The biggest issue is making sure that if you use water, you're covering your air filter, battery, and alternator with plastic sheeting. JR
thx JR, planning on buying some dressing and soft brush today. So many options online and on YT i wasn't sure
Old 12/29/15, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Wait...I take back what I said about the Simple Green. I used that on the insides of my rims to clean off the brake dust.

For the engine bay, I used two cans of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite degreaser, according to the instructions on the can.

JR
Old 12/29/15, 10:10 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Regular maintenance is the key. My Mustang is black so I made a conscience effort to stay on top of it from the very beginning. Water spotting is the worst so the engine bay gets a major detailing after every wash. At least once a week, especially after a lot of driving, all plastic covers get wiped down with Mothers Back to Black and exposed metal surfaces get wiped down with glass cleaner. My coil covers and plenum covers are painted hi gloss black and red. The plenum cover especially is a dust magnet and periodically I take off the strut tower brace so I can remove the plenum for a cleaning and a lite coat of wax.

I admit I'm **** about cleaning, but the results are worth it.
Old 12/29/15, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by godspunk32
Wait...I take back what I said about the Simple Green. I used that on the insides of my rims to clean off the brake dust. For the engine bay, I used two cans of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite degreaser, according to the instructions on the can. JR
lol no worries haven't bought it yet :-)
Old 12/29/15, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Regular maintenance is the key. My Mustang is black so I made a conscience effort to stay on top of it from the very beginning. Water spotting is the worst so the engine bay gets a major detailing after every wash. At least once a week, especially after a lot of driving, all plastic covers get wiped down with Mothers Back to Black and exposed metal surfaces get wiped down with glass cleaner. My coil covers and plenum covers are painted hi gloss black and red. The plenum cover especially is a dust magnet and periodically I take off the strut tower brace so I can remove the plenum for a cleaning and a lite coat of wax. I admit I'm **** about cleaning, but the results are worth it.
wow, thx for response I was looking at a black dressing, I'll look in to it. Your engine bay sounds spotless :-)
Old 12/29/15, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Regular maintenance is the key. My Mustang is black so I made a conscience effort to stay on top of it from the very beginning. Water spotting is the worst so the engine bay gets a major detailing after every wash. At least once a week, especially after a lot of driving, all plastic covers get wiped down with Mothers Back to Black and exposed metal surfaces get wiped down with glass cleaner. My coil covers and plenum covers are painted hi gloss black and red. The plenum cover especially is a dust magnet and periodically I take off the strut tower brace so I can remove the plenum for a cleaning and a lite coat of wax.

I admit I'm **** about cleaning, but the results are worth it.
Do you have pictures of those coil covers?
Old 12/29/15, 11:36 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Do you have pictures of those coil covers?
Happy to oblige....
Attached Images   
Old 12/30/15, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I just finished cleaning engine bay with gunk cleaner (stage 1) and spray dressing with meguires back to black spray. Not happy with results, recommend others go with gunk original (slightly tougher) and liquid dressing not spray. Don't use terry cloth, it'll leave cotton strands.
Old 12/30/15, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SGwick
Any ideas how safely clean our engine bays? Step? What to use?

Mine is full of dust :-(
If your issue is dust, just by a multi purpose cleaner, spray on and wipe off. Nice and clean

Engine bay-forumrunner_20151230_153923.png
Old 12/30/15, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
If your issue is dust, just by a multi purpose cleaner, spray on and wipe off. Nice and clean
I think you're right, sometimes the best answer is the simplest :-) thx
Old 12/30/15, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SGwick
I think you're right, sometimes the best answer is the simplest :-) thx
If someone finds their engine bay a train wreck from years of cleaning neglect, lack there of, degreaser, power washer and soft brush will clean it right up. Just make sure one covers up an open CAI should one have. Lol.

Top off with a nice plastics shine up spray.
Old 12/30/15, 10:09 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, regular maintenance is the key. I simply use water and rags, nothing else. I make sure to wipe down the underside of the hood, around the felt hood liner. Then of course every exposed piece of body metal. Then the engine cover and coil covers. Then all plastic items. Just water and rages. If done once every 3-6 months since new, no problem. If you have a lot of dust/grease/dirt then you may need the chemicals. Once you do get it clean, try to stay on top of it. The 5.0 engine bay is especially good-looking IMO. I've removed my sound tube, and I think it looks better and is easier to clean that driver's side now.
Old 12/31/15, 06:05 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
The 5.0 engine bay is especially good-looking IMO. I've removed my sound tube, and I think it looks better and is easier to clean that driver's side now.
This is a friend's '09 Challenger....amazingly sanitary and well organized engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails Engine bay-c105.jpg  
Old 12/31/15, 08:07 PM

Nice Chally engine bay. Here is a pic of mine (before I removed the sound tube).

Engine IMG 0016

Last edited by PJRManagement; 12/31/15 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (5/5/16)
Old 12/31/15, 08:16 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I must be the only person that doesn't despise the sound tube.
Old 1/1/16, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I must be the only person that doesn't despise the sound tube.
---
Correct, you are.
Old 1/1/16, 06:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

As some wise member on here said, the key to a clean engine bay is maintaining cleanliness on a routine basis. Just a little 15 minute routine clean will keep an engine bay looking great.
Old 1/3/16, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

I also get the "powerball" out that chip foose sold me and use whatever is my favorite metal brightener at the time on the engine parts to polish. This also works well on the engine bay strut towers and firewall to shine up. I usually do this after it is cleaned and the engine dressing has been applied. I have every version of the "powerball" in my arsenal. *****, cones, big, little... If it can be spun with a drill, I have tried it. I am basically lazy and look for shortcuts wherever possible!

Last edited by PA-Fatboy; 1/3/16 at 07:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine bay