Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Door Ding repair

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/06, 02:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone. I got this nasty door ding the other day just behind the door. About the size of a dime. It is in the rear quarter panel.

Went to the PDR guys and they say the only way they can fix it is to drill a small hole in the wheel well so they can access it with the tool they use to pop the crease back out.

This hole would be about 1/2 an inch. It would be in the wheel well. After they fix the dent they paint the edges of the hole then insert some type of black rubber plug.

The door ding is such and eyesore. I'm tempted to do it this way. I asked why they can't remove the interior panel to access it but they told me its because they need a specific amount of leverage to push it back out. They are the pros and do this everyday so I am assuming they know what they are talking about.

Do you think it is okay to drill this small hole if it is really the only way?
Old 1/10/06, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

That maybe correct. I would still go to another PDR place and see if they can do it without drilling. Not that the place is trying to screw you, it just always helps to get a second opinion.
Michael
Old 1/10/06, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was told the same thing about my other car (left rear quater panel). I never bothered having it fixed since it's my winter beater now. I didn't like the idea of holes being drilled either, but if that's what they have to do, as long as it's painted well, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 1/10/06, 04:07 PM
Cobra R Member

If the rubber plug doesn't cover a significantly larger area than the hole diameter, I would have them undercoat this area after the plug is inserted. You don't want to be developing any unseen rust bugs......
Old 1/10/06, 06:02 PM

I had a nice dent (looked like someone put a knee in it) in the driver side door of my 06 Tungsten GT (auto.) after just one week. Had PDR remove it. He accessed it from the window, but he told me that depending where the dent is, they do have to drill at times. The guy did an excellent job. No one can tell a dent was ever there, and believe me, it was in the middle of the door where everyone could see it. I wouldn't worry about the hole in the wheel well area. You'll be the only one that knows that the plug is there. Perhaps you can put some clear silicone around the plug to ensure no water enters.
Old 1/11/06, 05:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Kenny Z,

Do you have the info of the guy you used? I have 3 dings one on my roof(no idea how), one on my hood(no idea how) and on the rear passenger side fender over the wheel well(guessing my neighbor's car door but can't prove it).

Thanks!
Old 1/17/06, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@January 11, 2006, 8:41 AM
Kenny Z,

Do you have the info of the guy you used? I have 3 dings one on my roof(no idea how), one on my hood(no idea how) and on the rear passenger side fender over the wheel well(guessing my neighbor's car door but can't prove it).

Thanks!

I believe the company is actually called Paintless Dent Removal. It must be a franchise type operation around the country. The one I used is in the York/Lancaster County, PA area. I found them in the yellow pages. I was told that they do not come to your home. All repairs are done at car dealers. He told me what day he would be in my town and what dealer he would be at. He said he was doing dent work at the Dodge dealer (next to the Ford dealer) and that I could meet him there. He actually did the work in the dealer's parking lot...not inside. When I arrived, he told me that typical dents take about 30 minutes. He also said that he would start the work and after 10 minutes, he would let me know if he thought he could do a good job of removing the dent. If I didn't want him to continue, he wouldn't charge me anything. After 10 minutes, he said he could get the dent out. At that time, it didn't look a whole lot better, but I told him to continue. I figured I didn't have much to lose. The job took about 50 minutes. He said Mustang doors take longer than most cars. The charge was about $138. My wife and I were extremely pleased. He told me that I could take the car over to the Ford dealer, and they wouldn't be able to find where the work was done. It was that good of a job.
I'd be curious though as to how PDR would access the dents to the roof.
Old 1/17/06, 10:04 PM

Kenny Z,

Thanks!

I forgot to mention....most dings on the roof come from parking under oak trees. You'd be surprised what acorns can do. I saw two cars get pummeled this past fall at the rest area off Route 1 in Symrna, DE. Whenever I stop there, I make sure I'm not under those trees. They are very tall and the acorns pick up some speed on the way down. The worst are those trees with the softball sized green things.
Old 1/22/06, 07:46 PM

Kenny Z,

Thanks!

Mas35NYR --
It was Dent Wizard that did my car. I've been on the road for a few weeks. When I got home, I checked the paperwork.
Old 1/23/06, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a dent taken out of my truck a few years ago and they had to drill...they toutched up the edges and put in a rubber plug.
you cant even notice the plug, and I have not had any problems.

(THey also said they had to do it to get leverage)