Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Door ding in my rear left fender :(

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/06, 08:39 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i've been dinged..
yesterday night at a shopping mall's parking lot. i parked at what seemed to be at the time, quite a good distance from a Toyota Land Cruiser.. left for some shopping, and got back a few hours later to find a 3mm ding right in the middle of my rear left fender :bang:

luckily there's no chip or scratches in the paint, just an ugly fingertip sized dent that i can't help but notice however i look at the car

i tried to see if i could reach the panel from inside the trunk or the rear end by the rear passenger seat, but it seems it won't be an easy task..

i have a good feeling i could probably push the dent out from the inside, at least 90%.. if only i could reach it..

i'm sure the dealership would charge me an arm and leg if they fix it, especially if they ruin the paint and have to paint the whole fender..

any thoughts?
sorry no pics, my camera phone didn't take clear enough shots to show the damage.. but as stated, it's right over the wheel well
Old 1/18/06, 08:52 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dent Doctor
(paintless dent removal)
Old 1/18/06, 08:55 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd take it to a paintless dent removal place.

They should be able to use long "spoons" to get a dent like that out.
Old 1/18/06, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Definetly use a paintless dent remover. Last summer i had a 12" long crease on the bed of my F-350. I used i guy i knew who does this and he took it out.It looked like it was never there.
Old 1/18/06, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Another vote for paintless dent removal.

I just got two nasty quarter sized dents fixed on my '04 F-150 by a guy from Dent Wizard. The dings were on the rear quarter (bed) just above the wheel well. I was bumming, thinking that since they were unreachable that I would just have to live with them. Boy, was I wrong and proud of it.

The guy drilled a 1/2" hole on the inside of the wheel well (which he later plugged) and proceeded to use a long steel rod with a bend in it to slowly push it out while alternately tapping on it (with something that resembled a plastic nail set) from the outside. Less than an hour and $99 later, both dents are gone! Unless you know where they were, you could not tell. Fascinating stuff. :worship:

If anyone in the Maryland/DC area needs any dings removed, let me know and I'll hook you up. This guy was good (if not quite a Wizard) and said that most dings that are easily accessed from behind take just a few minutes to fix. They charge by the size - $99 for quarter size and under and up to $159 for bigger dents - and will fix as many as you have for that price ($99!) as long as they are on the same panel. A righteous deal, IMO!
Old 1/19/06, 12:11 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Clem@January 19, 2006, 4:55 AM
The guy drilled a 1/2" hole on the inside of the wheel well (which he later plugged) and proceeded to use a long steel rod with a bend in it to slowly push it out while alternately tapping on it (with something that resembled a plastic nail set) from the outside. Less than an hour and $99 later, both dents are gone! Unless you know where they were, you could not tell. Fascinating stuff. :worship:
i've contacted "DentMasters" here in Dubai, and a guy came by and checked it out..
confirming my fears, the dent is rather unreachable, and he said he'll have to drill a hole in the wheel well, which freaked me out, and i called off the whole thing.
he said it'd cost me around 400Dhs ( $110 USD ) which i thought is extremely fair, except for the drilling bit which put me off completely..

i'm really lost now as to whether i should do it or not.. i HATE the darn ding.. but i don't want holes in my baby either!
Old 1/19/06, 05:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by G.T@January 19, 2006, 1:14 AM
i've contacted "DentMasters" here in Dubai, and a guy came by and checked it out..
confirming my fears, the dent is rather unreachable, and he said he'll have to drill a hole in the wheel well, which freaked me out, and i called off the whole thing.
I hear ya, Louis! The hole in the wheel well kinda freaked me out too at first. He sealed the hole with a plastic plug slathered with something that looked like gray MarineTex. I really don't see this plug as a rust starter - It's probably the only spot that won't rust. Did I mention that the dents are GONE!

For me it was a risk worth taking. I don't generally keep my vehicles for that long and I just could not take looking at those dings every day. I'd do it again in a minute.
Old 1/19/06, 09:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Drill the hole! I had a similar problem. The dent on my car was so big that you could stick a football in it. FORD wanted $1,500 to replace the panel. Another shop said I would have to replace the panel. I called the DentWizard and he looked at it. He said he would have to drill a hole in the wheelwell and couldn't guarantee the paint wouldn't crack if it popped back out too fast. No problem, since i had nothing to lose. Took him about 1 1/2 hours and $150.00 later. Other than a faint line in the paint you would never know the car had a huge dent in it. Looked awesome.
Old 1/23/06, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

the paintless dent repair people are good (most at least)
I got a nasty dent on the body line of the 05 on the way to a show.
I called up a buddy who did dent removal and he came out to the show the next morning and had the car looking new again in about an hour.

Here are some pitcures of him taking the dent out..
http://www.denttime.com/gallery/album54