Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Does your girl wear a bra?

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/04 | 04:48 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

I won't be buying my car until spring, but do any of you in the snow climates plan on putting a bra on your car for the winter? I definately plan on doing so next winter. Currently I drive 40 miles on MA highways every day doing about 80. The front of my Honda looks like somebody loaded my shotgun with #9 shot and blasted the front of it. It stinks getting rocks/sand/road salt launched at you from cars in front of you at high speeds.

I know putting a bra on during the winter scratches the paint too because sand and crap gets underneath the bra, vibrates from the wind and scratches the heck out of the paint. I think the solution to this is to get some of that new invisible bra adhesive film from 3M and lay that down first and put the bra over that. That will protect the paint.

Has anybody put any thought into this? Does Ford sell bras as an accessory yet and how much are they?
Old 11/29/04 | 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was thinking about doing this when I drive across country in the middle of March. If you do it, let me know how it works out.
Old 11/29/04 | 05:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

moisture under the bra is hard on the paint, too.
Old 11/29/04 | 05:08 PM
GT Member

No....for both meanings.... ...In all seriousness though, I honestly have no experience with bras on cars- let me know how it works out
Old 11/29/04 | 05:51 PM
GT Member

dustindu4,

I just bought my wife a new (please fprgive me) unamerican car (made in the U.S. but the investment capitol going toJapan) whole on vacation (traded in her Taurus).

We installed a "full bra" fpr the trip back to Georgia (from Denver, Colorado with a detour thru Albuguerque)). I intend to remove the bra ASAP upon arrival in Georgia. I will be glad to let you know about damage to the paintat that time.

Regarding the 3M stuff: I saw some installed at the dealer's when we bought the unamerican car - the stuff looked real good to me.
Old 11/29/04 | 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Has anyone used the clear 3m road film?
Old 11/29/04 | 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

My '99 wears a bra, but for different reasons, the front had uhm... a few good dings and scratches from running into numerous things (oops!) so i figured a $199 bra (dealer price btw, so they'll probably run about the same on the '05) was cheaper than replacing the front end.

I don't think i'll be putting one on my '05 however. I prefer the look on my 99, but i think it would look kind of stupid on the '05 because the front end is the big focal point.
Old 11/29/04 | 06:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by SeniorStang@November 29, 2004, 6:54 PM
dustindu4,

I just bought my wife a new (please fprgive me) unamerican car (made in the U.S. but the investment capitol going toJapan) whole on vacation (traded in her Taurus).

We installed a "full bra" fpr the trip back to Georgia (from Denver, Colorado with a detour thru Albuguerque)). I intend to remove the bra ASAP upon arrival in Georgia. I will be glad to let you know about damage to the paintat that time.

Regarding the 3M stuff: I saw some installed at the dealer's when we bought the unamerican car - the stuff looked real good to me.
0ppps,

Pardon my typo's. I'm not much in the clerical department.
Old 11/29/04 | 06:40 PM
GT Member

just say no to bra's,....... they tend to chaft your front end.....
Old 11/29/04 | 06:55 PM
Cobra Member

Stay off of peoples asses.

Stay back one and half car lenghts for each ten miles per hour you are traveling when it is possible, that will cut way down on stone chips.

The 01 LS my wife drove had over 500 chips to front end and mirrors in just 45K because of her tail gateing activities. Due to our crap roads.
Old 11/29/04 | 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Bras just seem so....90's IMO. Actually my wife had a 95 Mazda and it was my job to wash it (of course). It seemed like every time I took the bra off to wash it the seemed to match less and less from fade. It just seems like bras may keep your hood from getting dinged up but in the long run your pant will end up looking mismatched up front.
Old 11/29/04 | 08:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SeniorStang@November 29, 2004, 7:54 PM
dustindu4,

Was it her Pinkly Taurus?
Old 11/29/04 | 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by CANES fan@November 29, 2004, 8:12 PM
Bras just seem so....90's IMO. Actually my wife had a 95 Mazda and it was my job to wash it (of course). It seemed like every time I took the bra off to wash it the seemed to match less and less from fade. It just seems like bras may keep your hood from getting dinged up but in the long run your pant will end up looking mismatched up front.
Have a Colgan Bra on my daily driver. Driving 800 to 1,000 miles per week, now have over 173K, mostly 70-90 mph, and the front end only has a couple of slight wear marks in hood paint (~1" long) across the inside outer rear edge.

I clay and wax every 6 monhts; there is no notice in paint discoloration or "Bra" line. BTW have replaced the windshield twice and will have to replcae again in another couple of month due to pitting. Used plastic polish regularly on lights and it has added some protection to the lenses.

For the GT getting x-pel for the lights this weekend; may have the whole x-pel kit (~$620) installed after 1st of the year.
Old 11/30/04 | 01:43 AM

The 01 LS my wife drove had over 500 chips to front end and mirrors in just 45K??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

You counted them all?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11/30/04 | 05:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SeniorStang@November 29, 2004, 6:54 PM
dustindu4,

did you put a support the troops sticker on it too!! <sarcasm>

or the good ol USA flag!?!? <even more sarcrasm>

just the fact that troops throughout history have died so we can give money to tiny radiated people makes me proud <ultra sarcasm>
Old 11/30/04 | 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@November 29, 2004, 6:55 PM
yeah I have it. I love it! The line is really barely noticeable. I would definitely recommend getting a pro to install it.
Old 11/30/04 | 06:49 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@November 29, 2004, 6:55 PM
I have the optically clear 3M film on my headlight lens covers, fog lights and front turn signals. This material is about twice a thick as the material used for the clear bra's and is designed to protect the lights from stone chips, etc. You have to look really close to tell that it's there. I also have the material along the door sill to protect against scratches when people step in and out of the car and I have it installed in two places behind my rear wheels to protect against rocks flying off of the rear tire.

FordPower.net installed this material on my car and is going to offer the clear bra in the near future. They said the bra would cost somewhere between $300 and $400.

Joe
Old 11/30/04 | 06:50 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Bra looks ugly on Mustang. At least it does on mine Mustang.

On the other hand, it looks great on Intrepid.

Old 11/30/04 | 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Du, I've got a friend who has a Viper, a Lotus, and a couple of Mercedes. He is a huge convert fan for the clear 3m protectant--says it's awesome. When I get my new stang, that is the route I plan, unless I hear otherwise. Good luck!!!
Old 11/30/04 | 07:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Braless for the moment... Considering the 3M Mask.

Quick Reply: Does your girl wear a bra?