Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Cleaning Vinyl Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/06, 08:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Vinyl Stripes

Hi Guys,

I did a search but came up with nothing. I have a set of white BSM vinyl stripes on my stang. Recenty with all of the rain with have been getting, I noticed the stripes are starting to get stained. I have washed the car thoroughly and the stripes come clean, but there are stil stains from the dirt that will not come off with normal washing. I tried to use my clay bar, but that did nothing. I have a bottle of polish that I have been kind of hesitant to use, because it says not for use on vinyl. Is there anything you guys can recomment to clean stains off of vinyl stripes?

Any help you guys can provide would be great
Old 8/11/06, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

My black stripes are in the same situation .. I will be watching the answers also.
Old 8/11/06, 03:08 PM
V6 Member

Peel them off and get some painted stripes.
Old 8/11/06, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangkid18
Thats my longterm plan, but want to make the vinyl last at least a couple of years
Old 8/17/06, 07:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the same problem with my white stripes, though mine got so bad my stripe shop replaced them for me. Now the new ones have been rained on and some yellow/brownisn pollen has sat on them so I was faced with the task of removing those. Here is what I have tried and how well it works.

1. Alcohol - not the rubbing kind, this works well for striping them clean of black stains, it will also strip the wax. (not the drinking kind either )

2. Windex - believe it or not this gets most of my stains off no problem, just squirt it directly onto the spots and wipe off in a front to back motion.

3. Windshield washer fluid - similar to windex but for some reason it can work better for some stains.

4. Paint cleaner - This is the be all end all last resort. I believe meguires<sp?) makes some but I have not seen it on the market in a while a quick internet search would probably help. This is what my stripe shop uses to clean the black wate stains off the stripes. It's potent and will not harm them.

Also with the windshield washer fluid if you put drops of it on the stains and leave it in the sun I have found this to disolve some of the stains. After take soap and water ant wipe the residue off. Hope this helps
Old 8/17/06, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for your help. I am going to try 1, if that doesn't work, then I will move down the list.

Thanks,
Old 8/17/06, 09:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when they say not for use on vinyl, they are talking about convertible tops. You should be waxing your stripes to help protect them from fallout.
Old 8/17/06, 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangkid18
DITTO! I went with vinyl at first and now have painted stripes. My vinyl peeled within 3 months and also started to stain.
Old 8/17/06, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I do wax my stripes regularly when I wax my car, but they still got stained?

Oh well, I am goint to try the alcohol first, hehe.....
Old 8/22/06, 07:06 AM
Cobra Member

Good luck and remember if the stains don't come off dont rub too hard or try any abrasive cloths, as you could leave a wear mark. Also do not let any of the chemicals sit on the car other then the windex or windshield washer fluid. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 9/15/06, 10:27 PM

want the secret????

ORANGE CLEANER!!! Spray it on, let it set till half dry, wipe with paper towels.... bye bye rain spots.

just make sure you keep up the wax idf you park around trees... tree sap is vinyls' arch nemesis.
Old 9/19/06, 05:30 AM
Cobra Member

Orange cleaner? Never heard of it, mind telling me where you can buy it?
Old 9/21/06, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
Orange cleaner? Never heard of it, mind telling me where you can buy it?
any grocery store and many auto parts stores have it... it's a comon household cleaner. We us the fantastic brand.... just do not try to use the wipes, they do not work as well.
Old 11/18/23, 09:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

I have an '07 Shelby with gold stripes that had stains (I think something dripped on the hood from a car above it during transit from Boston to Atlanta, but didn't notice it until after I had accepted the car and got it home). I tried Windex - nada, then alcohol - nada, then Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It was super easy to rub on and took the stain - and a lot of other unseen grime off the vinyl stripes. After cleaning I applied a new coat of Meguiar's liquid wax and the stripes look brand new!
The following 2 users liked this post by bricetwb:
05stangkc (11/18/23), NC14GT (11/19/23)
Old 11/18/23, 10:07 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,905 Posts
Thats Because it's Meguiars GOLD CLASS and You Have Gold Stripes!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mugu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Man Do I Have a Collection of Cleaners & Waxes I Have Used Over the Years!

Thanks For Sharing!

I Had Fallout Get on My Gt-500 Bumper Stripes and it Ate Them Up! Took off Bumper Stripes & Actually Liked The Look! Still Has Little Stripe Above Chin Spoiler

Now Next Time Maybe A Before & After Shot!

I Know it Was Panic all You Had on Your Mind!

Thans For Sharing!

KC
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (11/19/23)
Old 11/19/23, 03:36 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,627 Posts
Originally Posted by bricetwb
I have an '07 Shelby with gold stripes that had stains (I think something dripped on the hood from a car above it during transit from Boston to Atlanta, but didn't notice it until after I had accepted the car and got it home). I tried Windex - nada, then alcohol - nada, then Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It was super easy to rub on and took the stain - and a lot of other unseen grime off the vinyl stripes. After cleaning I applied a new coat of Meguiar's liquid wax and the stripes look brand new!
Thanks for sharing I will have to try that myself!