Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Cleaning the car with no hose?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/06, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning the car with no hose?

Hello fellow stang lovers...

Ok so I've gotten to the point that I've noticed my black GT requires a lot of attention, and since I am starting to drive it so much, she deserves it. I live in a condo, with no direct access to a water hose outside in my complex. What I usually do is when I visit my parents on the weekend, I pull the car around back in the driveway and give my car the royal treatment. But sometimes I just cant do that, and with all the extreme rain and direct sun we're getting down here, I'd like to wash my car more often if possible.

Drive-in car washes are a NO. I've gotten my car washed twice through a "good" drive through car wash, and I'm already seeing swirl marks on my roof.

So is it feasible for me to like, take 2 buckets of water or something and park my car under a cool shade in my complex and wash it? If so, how should I do this? Or do you all have any other suggestions?
Old 9/25/06, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
Hello fellow stang lovers...

Ok so I've gotten to the point that I've noticed my black GT requires a lot of attention, and since I am starting to drive it so much, she deserves it. I live in a condo, with no direct access to a water hose outside in my complex. What I usually do is when I visit my parents on the weekend, I pull the car around back in the driveway and give my car the royal treatment. But sometimes I just cant do that, and with all the extreme rain and direct sun we're getting down here, I'd like to wash my car more often if possible.

Drive-in car washes are a NO. I've gotten my car washed twice through a "good" drive through car wash, and I'm already seeing swirl marks on my roof.

So is it feasible for me to like, take 2 buckets of water or something and park my car under a cool shade in my complex and wash it? If so, how should I do this? Or do you all have any other suggestions?
Find a non-Busy car wash (not a drive through), take your bucket and car wash soap/shampoo of your choice. Use the Spot-Free Rinse to wet the car and wash off the soap.
Old 9/25/06, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about using a garden hose to kitchen sink adaptor? See this website for info... http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=905
then you can run the hose out your window to the parking area and wash it there.
Old 9/25/06, 03:01 PM
GT Member

2 other tips.

First, there are several companies that make a dust rag especially for cars. They work great for light dust. Actually get better the more they are used.

Second, Meguiars makes a product called quick detailer. It is sprayed on and wiped off. Has a lubricant in it that keeps light dirt from scratching the surface.

I use both of these products for a show car, and they work great as long as the car is maintained.
Old 9/25/06, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hp246
2 other tips.

First, there are several companies that make a dust rag especially for cars. They work great for light dust. Actually get better the more they are used.

Second, Meguiars makes a product called quick detailer. It is sprayed on and wiped off. Has a lubricant in it that keeps light dirt from scratching the surface.

I use both of these products for a show car, and they work great as long as the car is maintained.
I use the quick detailer but always get streaks. I use to microfiber towels at a time. One to go over it intially when I spray and use the other one to get anything I missed. Should I use a different technique. Do I need to be very generous with how much I spray?
Old 9/25/06, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

I take my car through a drive-thru hand wash and keep the dust of with the California Duster (works great by the way). Then I use (like Leo) the two rag (micro fiber) method for the Quick Detailer. One for the initial wipe and a second one to get the streaks off.

Leo, I spray enough so that when I wipe it it'll wet the area I'm focusing on. Once it's been spread on the area and dry (with the first micro fiber) I go over with a the dry micro fiber rag to remove the streaks. One thing I noticed is that when I used the quick detailer in direct sunlight and the car was warm I had streaks that I couldn't remove (had to wash the car again). I started doing it my my garage and when the car was cool and have had no problems with streaks. I love these black cars but they're really a PITA to keep clean.
Old 9/25/06, 03:35 PM
GT Member

I use the quick detailer in proportion to the dirt. If not dirty, I use a light mist. If there is a heavier dirt, I use more detailer. As far as wiping. I use clean bath towels, and keep them clean. Yes, I've noticed that you have to go back over it a couple times with a clean towel.
Old 9/25/06, 03:38 PM
GT Member

Fllpnn.

I've never had a problem with the streaks you mention, having to rewash. I try to keep to a relatively small area at a time, and there is no problem. In talking to the Meguairs people at some of the shows, it is my understanding that Quick Detailer has a small amount of wax in it. Maybe you are having a problem with the wax in the heat.
Old 9/25/06, 04:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hp246
Fllpnn.

I've never had a problem with the streaks you mention, having to rewash. I try to keep to a relatively small area at a time, and there is no problem. In talking to the Meguairs people at some of the shows, it is my understanding that Quick Detailer has a small amount of wax in it. Maybe you are having a problem with the wax in the heat.
That must be it. I had the streak problems about a week or so after waxing the car and applying it in direct sunlight, the car was warm to the touch.

And you're right about the amount to spray and keeping to a small area (I do the same), depends on the amount of dirt in the area. Before I use the quick detailer I go over the entire car with the california duster. So the rag doesn't get muddy. By the time I go over with the second rag there's no more dirt and that rag stays clean.
Old 9/26/06, 07:25 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

1) technically, using quick detailer on a car that's anything but freshly washed is a no-no. you're just rubbing in the dust, even though it looks like you're cleaning it. I did it on my last car and will never do it on my mustang because I saw what 5 years of doing that will do to paint.

2) personally i have not had great experiences with a california duster or similar. my previous car was black and i found it made swirl marks on the paint, even with light dust.

3) I have never had problems with streaking using Zaino quick detailer, or the Mother's quick detailer (stuff that smells like Goldschlager, bleh!).

4) i also live in an apt - what I do is bring a bucket, my zaino car soap & microfibre towels and wash mitt, and go to a Do It Yourself car wash bay place. This is my place, and it is the BEST in Toronto - it even has the 'blasto dry' - like a huge leaf blower thing. http://www.washngo.ca/Car%20Wash.htm

There are normally many in every city. go when it's not too busy (any time other then saturday and sunday at noon) and nobody will care, as long as there is an open bay left for the next person who comes along. I put my $2 to start it up, fill my bucket and rinse the car off. Then I start washing it with the bucket soap after the time expires. Once I'm done I put my next $2 in and rinse the car off. Pull out of the bay and then dry it in the parking lot.

I've got it down to a science and it's *almost* as convenient and fast as if I had my own driveway and garden hose.

Good luck,
Kristina
Old 9/27/06, 01:07 PM
GT Member

Rondosa,
I use the duster to remove dust then then the quick detailer. I have never had a problem. I use these products on a car that I show. I DO RUB OUT AND APPLY A GOOD WAX when I take the car out of storage, and during the course of the season.

Obviously, I wouldn't use the quick detailer on a crusty dirty car.
Old 9/27/06, 07:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
1) technically, using quick detailer on a car that's anything but freshly washed is a no-no. you're just rubbing in the dust, even though it looks like you're cleaning it. I did it on my last car and will never do it on my mustang because I saw what 5 years of doing that will do to paint.

2) personally i have not had great experiences with a california duster or similar. my previous car was black and i found it made swirl marks on the paint, even with light dust.

3) I have never had problems with streaking using Zaino quick detailer, or the Mother's quick detailer (stuff that smells like Goldschlager, bleh!).

4) i also live in an apt - what I do is bring a bucket, my zaino car soap & microfibre towels and wash mitt, and go to a Do It Yourself car wash bay place. This is my place, and it is the BEST in Toronto - it even has the 'blasto dry' - like a huge leaf blower thing. http://www.washngo.ca/Car%20Wash.htm

There are normally many in every city. go when it's not too busy (any time other then saturday and sunday at noon) and nobody will care, as long as there is an open bay left for the next person who comes along. I put my $2 to start it up, fill my bucket and rinse the car off. Then I start washing it with the bucket soap after the time expires. Once I'm done I put my next $2 in and rinse the car off. Pull out of the bay and then dry it in the parking lot.

I've got it down to a science and it's *almost* as convenient and fast as if I had my own driveway and garden hose.

Good luck,
Kristina
I've had the same luck with the duster. I have a red car that the duster tends to pile up dirt on and swirl. I'm with you on the Zaino-expensive, but well worth it.
Old 9/28/06, 11:14 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by mastersmech1
I've had the same luck with the duster. I have a red car that the duster tends to pile up dirt on and swirl. I'm with you on the Zaino-expensive, but well worth it.

I have Legend Lime and I've used the Cal. Duster, after each panel I shake the thing like crazy. I have yet to see any scratches, now mind you I've only used it after removing the car cover, and after short drives. And of course NO WHERE near the wheel wells.

So far so good, much better results this year, using the car cover all the time (From Kevin). Last year I just left my baby out in the rain, it was a mess most of the time... Now it's just