Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

car polish leaves greasy film

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/07, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
car polish leaves greasy film

Has only had the situation where your car polish never seems to dry enough where it can buff off cleanly?

Lately when i buff my car, there is often a thin greasy film left in various areas; hood, door, or rear fender. It looks like someone with oily hands has touched the car. The film is almost impossible to buff by hand. It just seems to spread or move around when you buff it. When I think its all gone and I stand back and look at it in the sun, i can see its still there. Sometimes I have to wash the car again and dry it down good with cotton towels to get rid of it. The car polishes that I have used are zaino and meguirs nxt and i do follow the directions.

One other thing...what are the thin circular spider web patterns that show up in the paint when you look at a car in bright sunlight? Is it just a natural property of paint? You can only really see it in darker colors in bright sunlight. They look like thin scratches but i don't think they are scratches.
Old 2/15/07, 09:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt
Has only had the situation where your car polish never seems to dry enough where it can buff off cleanly?

Lately when i buff my car, there is often a thin greasy film left in various areas; hood, door, or rear fender. It looks like someone with oily hands has touched the car. The film is almost impossible to buff by hand. It just seems to spread or move around when you buff it. When I think its all gone and I stand back and look at it in the sun, i can see its still there. Sometimes I have to wash the car again and dry it down good with cotton towels to get rid of it. The car polishes that I have used are zaino and meguirs nxt and i do follow the directions.

One other thing...what are the thin circular spider web patterns that show up in the paint when you look at a car in bright sunlight? Is it just a natural property of paint? You can only really see it in darker colors in bright sunlight. They look like thin scratches but i don't think they are scratches.
A few questions:
What temperature is it when you are waxing/polishing?
Is it fully dried to a hazy look?
What polish/wax are you using?
Are you applying it too thick ?
Buff marks, welcome to polish/wax on a black car.
There are products to get rid of them. Zaino & Mequires makes them, I know.
What type of towel are you using when removing the wax/polish? 100% USA Cotton or micro fibre ? Some micro fibre have been shown to leave those buff marks so be careful what you use. I personally use 100% Soft Cotton towels and nothing else.
Old 2/15/07, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ambient temp is usually 60F to 80F. The polish is applied lightly and sparingly. After waiting maybe 30 minutes, sometimes longer, It appears to dry to a haze but if I touch it, i can see and feel that it is still not totally dry. I use an applicator pad to apply the polish and I use white 100% cotton towels to buff. Is this a side effect of polishes nowadays that are dustfree--so they don't dry thoroughly? Before polishes became dustfree, they dried quickly to a hard shell. You could buff them more cleanly but then you had the problem of a bunch of dust from the polish settling back onto the car and getting into crevices.

Regarding the thin swirl/spider web pattern in paint...The reason I don't believe it is caused by buff marks is because in many areas the swirl marks are in the opposite direction that I use when I buff. Concave versus Convex. Set attached diagram. It other parts of the car i use a linear motion to apply the wax and buff, but instead of seeing linear marks, i see the same thin swirl marks. The swirl marks are uniform and evenly distributed around the car. None are ever linear. All of that leads me to believe its something at a molecular level and it's just a property of a painted metal surface.
Attached Thumbnails car polish leaves greasy film-swirl-spider-web-marks-paint.jpg  
Old 2/15/07, 10:27 PM
V6 Member

You're probably letting the wax dry too long and you're unable to remove it completely. Likely you should be able to get it to haze in 5-15 minutes. Do a panel at a time.

Use a microfiber applicator pad and microfiber polishing cloths for removal.

As for your "swirls" ... you can tell us about your washing and drying habits, that'll probably give us some insight as to the cause of those. Try some Sealer & Glaze next time before you wax... in fact, if you're looking for a one-step, I really like FX SynWax... seems easier to use than the NXT and lasts longer. However, to help remove/hide bad swirls by hand, I'd recommend the Mothers Ultimate Wax System -- Pre-Wax Cleaner, Sealer & Glaze, and Pure Carnauba Wax (I like the paste, but it also comes in a liquid). Meguiar's also has a 3-step that works similarly... with both brands the bottles are sold separately.
Old 2/16/07, 03:55 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Are you using a polish or a wax? if you are polishing the car, you should never let it dry, you rub in and wipe off. Wax is the only thing you ever let dry on your car. You should wipe that off once it is dry, you can tell by running your finger across it, if it smears and creates a haze or oily appearance its not dry, if it is dry your finger will wipe it right off. Use a clean micro fiber to wipe off polish and wax, use different micro fibers for each. If it is wax you are applying then a light "oily" (as you put it) residue is not only normal but a good thing. Leave this on the car for a bit in the shade, the longer the better, I leave mine on over night in the garage, this is the wax, it will continue to soak into the paint and do its stuff. Then wipe it off. I then reapply a second coat, and wipe off then a synthetic sealant, then follow with a Quick Detailer like product. This is also a trick you can use if you would prefer to just wipe it clean and get rid of that residue, because you want to or cant let it sit or it would sit in the sun. Get a quick detailer and spray it on and wipe it off, it will help get rid of that haze.

The swirls are from your washing and/or waxing the car impropperly, unless it came that way to you; car dealers will "detail" your car before you pick up upon purchase if you dont tell them not to. They suck at this and could have been the ones who put in some of the swirls.