Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car cover/daily driver, do you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/05, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every wed's they have a guy blow out our car ports. I live close to the freeway and off a major street and the dust in this area is absolutely the worse I have ever seen. So it gets completely covered in fine dust, so much so I'm afraid to even roll my windows down until after I've driven a bit to blow most of it off. Far too much to even think about using my california duster. So since I cannot get a new spot that would be safe, I need to get a cover, move or wash the car weekly. Washing the car living in an apartment is a real pain and gets costly.

I'm wondering if anyone has a cover and their car is a daily driver, do you use it? Or did you get tired of covering it after a week or so?

Also I don't think a cover should cost $250+, any suggestions of a good one in the under $100 price range? The car is in a car port and rain generally is not an issue here, although lately one might argue that :P So I basically just need dust protection, although I would like it to be water proof so It wont get moldy if it does get wet.

I checked covercraft and for a decent one it's over $250. I don't want a walmart special and am willing to pay for quality, but more importantly I want something I will actually use. If it's too much hassle I know it will just lay in my trunk.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 3/4/05, 09:43 PM
FR500 Member

If a car cover is truely waterproof, it won't breath and that is where you develop mold and dryrot (interior)...i.e., the stiching in your seats, for instance. I have a Noah cover and it's on/off pretty much daily. Takes about 3-4 minutes and it's lightweight. Still, it's getting close to the $250 mark. They won't keep the car totally clean, but much better than not covered. Also, the car doesn't see the scratches/dings that go with leaving one out uncovered.
Old 3/5/05, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the advice, the noah was the one I was considering and yea it's about $250. Cheaper than Fords offerings and probably better. Didn't expect them to be so expensive.

Do they come with the lockable cord or is that purchased seperately?
Old 3/5/05, 08:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

If you cover your car at work, that cover will get so full of dust, that taking it off and on will still leave dust on your car and in your trunk when you put the cover away. :bang:

Your better off using a leaf blower, to blow the dust off each day when you get home ...
Old 3/5/05, 08:45 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by nynvolt@March 5, 2005, 8:56 AM
Thanks for the advice, the noah was the one I was considering and yea it's about $250. Cheaper than Fords offerings and probably better. Didn't expect them to be so expensive.

Isn't Ford's NOAH cover $254? That's retail, BTW. They can sell them cheaper. I called 3 delaers and got a price as low as $195.
Old 3/5/05, 09:24 AM
FR500 Member

[/quote]

Mine came with a lockable cord and I happened to purchase it from Ford, though I know there are better prices out there.

Paul
Old 3/5/05, 08:17 PM
GT Member

Look for a cover made with Kimberly's Evolution material. This fabric is waterproof but allows the car to breath. However, I've seen somewhere that when you put or remove the car cover on a dusty car it will cause some rubbing between the dust particles the fabric and the car and could scratch the finish. Also if your car cover doesn't fit the car well enough the wind getting under the cover could have a similar effect... I decided not go with the car cover after all...
Old 3/6/05, 05:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also if your car cover is dirty, you have to put it in your trunk and get the dirt all over yourself and the inside of your trunk.