Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

bugs

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/04, 01:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anybody have any good suggestions on how to easily remove bugs? i've been using turtle wax bug and tar remover and it works but it takes a long time to get them off.
Old 8/1/04, 05:29 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
WD40 - There is probably something better, but I use it sometimes.

I've found that the longer the bugs sit the harder they are to get off (amazing, huh?), so I try to at least take a sponge/hot soapy water and scrub over the area when I get home or the next morning.

Some of the "Bug and Tar" removers also leave white residue on the black plastics under the hood, and especially on my chin spoiler.
Old 8/17/04, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

one technique i've heard that works is- before you go on a long trip or hard driving where bugs are heavy- put some PAM cooking spray or something to that effect on your bumpers... backs of mirrors... wherever you dont want the bugs to stick- except the windsheild... dont go sprayin pam on your windsheild - lol but it keeps them from sticking- wow imagine that- so it should be easy to clean off- hope this helps!
Old 10/12/04, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

This probably isn't what you're looking for, its more of a "bug prevention" tip. If you live in an area w/ plenty of bugs (or do lots of highway driving), a bra might be the best solution. It'd be easy to clean and, most importantly, it'd protect the car's paint. I'm pretty sure Ford offers something for the 03/04 S/C Cobras specifically.

If this doesn't sound like your brand of vodka, you might try a "bug sponge.". It's a regular sponge with a mesh covering; I got mine from Pep Boys. Just wet down the area w/ soapy water and go to town. I should probably add a disclaimer, though: while it's fast, this will likely leave swirlmarks on the paint (esp. if you have a dark vehicle), so if you're into protecting your clear coat don't do it. Good luck. Oh, and sweet ride.
Old 10/12/04, 11:00 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by 68notch@October 12, 2004, 7:03 PM
This probably isn't what you're looking for, its more of a "bug prevention" tip. If you live in an area w/ plenty of bugs (or do lots of highway driving), a bra might be the best solution. It'd be easy to clean and, most importantly, it'd protect the car's paint. I'm pretty sure Ford offers something for the 03/04 S/C Cobras specifically.

If this doesn't sound like your brand of vodka, you might try a "bug sponge.". It's a regular sponge with a mesh covering; I got mine from Pep Boys. Just wet down the area w/ soapy water and go to town. I should probably add a disclaimer, though: while it's fast, this will likely leave swirlmarks on the paint (esp. if you have a dark vehicle), so if you're into protecting your clear coat don't do it. Good luck. Oh, and sweet ride.
I coulda sworn those bug sponges were made for windsheilds and glass only. Maybe plastic. I defintely wouldnt use it on paint of any condition.

There is the spray bug and tar remover taht works well. Thats about the best thing i have found. Spray it good with that and with a damp rag go over the bugs as best as you can. i'd immediately wash the car and wax the whole thing or at least the places you sprayed.
Old 11/30/04, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

my uncle has something called "wash wax".i'll tell you what its call exactly but it works like nothing i've ever seen before.and he uses it on everything[65 shelby,65 vert,2004 f-250 diesel,and alot more]

you guys were talking about "PAM" haha it reminds me of JOE DIRT.
Old 12/2/04, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

You could go redneck and put some clear plastic wrapon your windsheild and bumper and when you wash your car just pull off the tearoff and put a new one back on.
Old 12/2/04, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Hotrod@December 2, 2004, 2:36 PM
You could go redneck and put some clear plastic wrapon your windsheild and bumper and when you wash your car just pull off the tearoff and put a new one back on.
like in nascar.

:shock:
Old 12/2/04, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, but it works.
Old 12/24/04, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 12/24/04, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Regarding PAM, people do it around here because of "Love Bugs"--bugs that swarm twice a year to mate. They eat your paint when they smoosh on the front of you car. No joke.

The PAM can start to really smell after a day in the hot sun. Hot, hot, hot soapy water will do it , and a lot of elbow grease. Make sure you have a good heavy coat of wax and that will help them come off easier.

The love bugs are so bad around here that some people don't drive their classics for the 6 weeks they swarm.

I'd go with good wax.
Old 12/24/04, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Here you go. From Florida, but the same creatures. Damned annoying.

Love Bug Page
Old 1/5/05, 09:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by ta2d1@August 1, 2004, 1:43 PM
does anybody have any good suggestions on how to easily remove bugs? i've been using turtle wax bug and tar remover and it works but it takes a long time to get them off.
Hi a little old gal told me about using Pam Cooking oil spray on . I used it on mostly my crome , then tried it on a small part of the paint with no bad effects and the buggers just wiped off.[QUOTE][center]