Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Brake Caliper Paint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/07, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Brake Caliper Paint Removal

I painted my brake calipers red a few months ago and i was happy with the results. I went to a car wash one or two times and after those washes, the caliper paint has chipped on ALL 4 of the calipers. I was wondering if there is any way to remove the brake caliper paint completly so I can redo all of them or go over with maybe a black caliper paint.

note: never going to that car wash again
Old 7/30/07, 12:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
go to autozone and get a can of autostrip it will take paint off anything but don't get it on your hands it burns like crazy and will leave blisters
Old 8/21/07, 11:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm, are you sure you cleaned the calipers properly before painting them? I only ask because if they were cleaned properly, and after painting letting them sit for 24 hours, simply going through a car wash would not have them chip. In fact, if it was a problem with the paint you would expect you would have had a bigger problem with the paint coming off a lot more than just a few chips. You might want to clean the area again and repaint. I painted mine last year and went about 30,000km before getting a chip in one of them.
Old 8/21/07, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
hmmm, are you sure you cleaned the calipers properly before painting them? I only ask because if they were cleaned properly, and after painting letting them sit for 24 hours, simply going through a car wash would not have them chip. In fact, if it was a problem with the paint you would expect you would have had a bigger problem with the paint coming off a lot more than just a few chips. You might want to clean the area again and repaint. I painted mine last year and went about 30,000km before getting a chip in one of them.

I can see this happening, I cleaned mine very well and I only had 200 miles on the car when I painted the calipers. I also let them sit for well over 24 hrs before I drove them off. I now am finding chips on mine as well, on all 4 calipers.

I used Duplicolor, I bet G2 would have better durability but the Duplicolor was close at hand and cheap. Oh well you get what you pay for.

Matt what brand caliper paint did you use?
Old 8/22/07, 08:17 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I meant the fact that going through a car wash a day or two after would not have that affect. Ofcourse after time they are all going to chip.
Old 8/22/07, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Matt what brand caliper paint did you use?[/quote]

I also used the Duplicolor Paint from Checker Auto. The reason I think it was the car wash place is because the have the little whipping washers that clean the lower half of the car/wheels. I had seen no chipping at all before I got a month membership to this place.