Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Black question

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/12 | 08:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Black question

I hear how awful it is to keep Black clean. How hard is it to keep black clean if it is garaged and not driven in the rain?
Old 2/8/12 | 09:58 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
I hear how awful it is to keep Black clean. How hard is it to keep black clean if it is garaged and not driven in the rain?
No color is truly harder to keep cleaner than any other color, it's just how we're able to perceive dirt and dust on different paint jobs due to their reflective nature. Because black reflects more light than any other color, it's much more apparent when reflections are dulled down from dirt and easier to pick out dust particles that have settled on the surface.

As a whole, and something I often tell my clients, the single biggest thing you can do to preserve your car and keep in looking good is to put it in your garage. Having a garage kept car makes a huge difference, as does having the ability to only drive it in nice weather as a whole.

I'd recommend learning to live with specs of dust and dirt, and know that if your car looks awesome from 5-10 feet away; she's good to go. Too many car owners (especially those with black or other dark color cars) freak out too much about dust IMO, and it can lead to them wiping the car down too often which degrades the finish.
Old 3/14/12 | 07:19 AM
Cobra Member

How do you feel about California Dusters? Also, once the car does get dusty, is it better to wash the car or use a detailer spray to remove the dust? Another black car owner who probably does wipe the car down too often....cr is garage kept and only driven on nice days.
Old 3/14/12 | 07:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

California Duster works well in-between washes, no problems on my black ride and theyve been selling those things for decades. If your garaging & not driving in bad weather, you will have no issues. 25% of all Mustangs sold are black, twice any other color, so I dont think too many folks are that worried about it.
Old 3/14/12 | 08:48 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by JCStang
How do you feel about California Dusters? Also, once the car does get dusty, is it better to wash the car or use a detailer spray to remove the dust? Another black car owner who probably does wipe the car down too often....cr is garage kept and only driven on nice days.
I personally don't like them. Removing potentially abrasive particles from your paint by wiping them off? Eeeeek!
Dust has broken down dirt which has broken down sand which has things like quartz. Your clear-coat is clearly not as hard as quartz is. A quick detailer will at least pull dust particles into the liquid, and then you're removing the liquid from the finish, which is a sure step in the right direction.

Still, nothing is going to be better, or more time intensive than a full wash. I'd rather have a polished car with a light coat of dust than a dust-free car that isn't polished out.

Keep in mind that in the end, you have to do what works best for you. No one can tell you how you enjoy your car, and only you can decide she doesn't look good enough so that you want to change how you care for her. If she's looking fine in your eyes and you don't notice anything wrong, then keep on with what you're doing. If you aren't satisfied and want to improve things, then you need to step things up to the next level. Each owner must decide on his or her own.
Old 3/14/12 | 11:16 AM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

I agree with Marks post, Cali Dusters can and will leave micro fine scratches in the paint. Having used one for years, I quit approx 2 years ago.
I even went as far as having the duster cleaned, washed in Woolite, etc. but when used over polished/waxed finish it was leaving very fine "scratches" such as was h scratches look like.
Started using high grade microfiber rags and detailer instead of the Cali duster - problem solved.

TDS
Old 3/14/12 | 07:25 PM
MJN
GT Member

As with the rest Im not real up on the duster. I used to use one a few years ago but I think if going to use a duster then alot better off using a good microfiber and some quick detailer of some sort. If you beleive to dusty for a cali duster then for sure its water and bucket.

Mine comes out of the garage from under car cover, I drive it and when back if alot of bugs dirt and such I go to the car wash and use the rinse and spot fee settings only. I come back home and if it got everything off I do a final QD wipe down and under the cover in the garage. If it needs more all depends how much time and how bad it is. Could go in garage till next day for a good wash or I may use a waterless wash, but always end with a quick detailer and a nice wipe down. Think I got everything Just thought I better point out that is is all done on a clay bar, polish,and waxed finshed to start with.

As far as Black being hard to keep clean. Well I have noticed that I use this same proccess on my Blue Flame truck and weather or not the blue or the black the MF comes out just as dirty from either one but you can see the dirt and dust more on the balck then on the blue.

Last edited by MJN; 3/14/12 at 07:27 PM.