Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Black car owners! Just ordered black 2014 - nervous

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/13, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black car owners! Just ordered black 2014 - nervous

I just put my deposit down on a black 2014 GT Prem with Track Pack/Recaros and electronics pkg - wondering if I made a mistake. I still have time to change the color...

I don't want to have to whip out a DA polisher on this thing everytime I wash it. I take great care of my car - very careful not to scratch the finish, but I am OCD over this. Are you guys having trouble keeping your cars washed/waxed without having tons of swirlmarks all over it?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 1/2/13, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Black isn't a color, it's a part time job! I detail cars on the side, & I always swore I'd never have a black car as a daily driver. But we bought a Tuxedo Black Fusion. Swirls are inevitable, & they do show more on a black car. BUT! Nothing is sexier than a properly detailed black car. I would think, as long as you're careful washing it, you should be able to get away with doing a full detail a couple of times a year.
Old 1/2/13, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Owning a black vehicle is your part time job. If you want to keep it clean, then you'd have to wash the vehicle at least once a week maybe twice. You have to be extra careful when washing, wash it by hand and have a dirt catcher in your soap bucket. Wax it every month and take a buffer to it every 6 months. Just take extra care of it and you'll be fine. A black stang is one hecka sexy stang.
Old 1/2/13, 08:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mcate
Black isn't a color, it's a part time job! I detail cars on the side, & I always swore I'd never have a black car as a daily driver. But we bought a Tuxedo Black Fusion. Swirls are inevitable, & they do show more on a black car. BUT! Nothing is sexier than a properly detailed black car. I would think, as long as you're careful washing it, you should be able to get away with doing a full detail a couple of times a year.
Hey my wife just bought a tuxcedo black fusion! Great color. Great car. Love the metallic look of it.
Old 1/2/13, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, guys. Yah knowing the basic polishing schedule for a well maintained car is really what I should've asked haha. 2-3 times a year isn't bad.
Old 1/3/13, 05:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I love a black 'Stang but could never have a black car as a daily driver. My Mustang is a weekend toy, so keeping it clean is pretty easy. However, I honestly think silver (with subtle black accents) would be my choice if I was going for a '14. My daily driver BMW is silver and it's soooooooo easy to keep clean
Old 1/3/13, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I know what you mean. Silver was the easiest of the colors I've had to maintain next to my yellow S2K haha. My first car was black and I didn't know enough about proper care to realize it was a PITA. All I knew was when I washed it, it looked mean as hell. It never stayed around long enough to show the ignorant neglect I was subjecting it to!

@mcate - thanks for serving, brother.
Old 1/3/13, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Only drive mine on nice days and stored in winter, so not too much work, and paint still pretty much like new, but was driving myself crazy watching for swirls after reading some posts on here...decided as long as I don't park my car next to a couple of guys cars on here ( and they know who they are!!!!), mine will look fantastic!! If I had to do it again I probably would have gotten silver, but i do think the 13's ( and soon to be 14's) do look best in black.
Old 1/4/13, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Hey my wife just bought a tuxcedo black fusion! Great color. Great car. Love the metallic look of it.
Our son bought a Tuxedo black '12 Sport, & our other 2 kids have Fusions. Ours is a '10 Sport. LOVE the car, it just drives great. Pain in the butt to keep clean, though!
Old 1/12/13, 06:16 PM

Like others said, it will require much more time and patience to keep it looking good than many other colors.
Old 1/14/13, 07:03 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fdesalvo
I just put my deposit down on a black 2014 GT Prem with Track Pack/Recaros and electronics pkg - wondering if I made a mistake. I still have time to change the color...

I don't want to have to whip out a DA polisher on this thing everytime I wash it. I take great care of my car - very careful not to scratch the finish, but I am OCD over this. Are you guys having trouble keeping your cars washed/waxed without having tons of swirlmarks all over it?

Thanks for the advice.
I would recommend investing in a Master Blaster air dryer or something similar. A good quality wash solution is best. Look into getting a foam cannon.

Whatever you do, don't let the dealer touch the car when it comes off the truck!
Old 2/26/13, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not going to lie, black is a pain the A$$ to keep clean! My husband and I own a 07' 'Monte Carlo SS and a 12' Avalanche in black.....The car isn't bad to wash with the both of us but the Avalanche in a BIG job washing at least twice a week! I'm lucky that my husband is very particular and washes and waxes the vehicles like a religion! My husband has a 85' F-150 show truck in black with 8 coats of clear....that baby is like looking in a mirror! He keep that thing looking spectacular! No swirl marks. So naturally when we ordered our 14' Shelby GT500 we ordered black. I think that black is such a sexy color! Nothing says "high class" like black! I think you will be happy with the black! One trick my husband showed me was when he waxes the vehicles he doesn't apply the wax in a "swirl" type motion. He does more of a "straight stroke" it works well! He applies the wax and I take it off! lol No swirl problems! Again, go for the black! You won't be disappointed!!
Old 2/27/13, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
As others have said, black is a pain in the *** to keep clean. However, there is no prettier nor faster color than black on a Mustang. Those turkeys in red have no idea what they're talking about.

Name:  IMG_0124_zps58215b16.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  271.3 KB
Old 2/27/13, 02:31 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Those turkeys in red have no idea what they're talking about.
Hey easy now, I like the black stangs too but we all know Red rules!!!
Old 2/27/13, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If its going to be a DD, and your like me, OCD about keeping it clean, and swirl mark free, and you want it to look like a show car 80% of the time, you will be kicking yourself in the *** if you get black, its a color for people that can enjoy a specific car that is only used for pleasure , weekends or as a showcar, or people that dont care much about the quality and can live with quick/halfass detail jobs, that over time will add on swirl marks little by little.
Maybe if it was a metalic black like the ford tuxedo black , or the one Dodge used on chargers/challengers, but a plain black is not a color for a DD nor for people with OCD about keeping it show room clean.

always loved black cars and still do , but its not a color I personally would like to own, good thing I love metalic gray colors more and high impact colors grew on me over time.
Old 2/27/13, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 2010 black Mini that was a daily driver and put almost 60k miles on that car... It looked great for about 5 minutes... LOL! I will NEVER get a black car for a DD again!

My '13 GT is black, but it sits in the garage mostly and stays (relatively) clean... Would stay cleaner if I actually put the car cover on. LOL! But really, all I need to do most times is spray it down with some detail spray. I definitely agree with starting off with a good wash/clay/wax job in the beginning to protect it the best you can right out of the gate!
Old 3/1/13, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would take it somewhere and have a detailer apply a couple of coats of Opticoat. That stuff is like armor for black painted cars. Then you can wax over it to get that deepness look that is so appreciated on a black car.
Old 3/1/13, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm no longer scared - and I will never own another color other than black again. I love this color; it looks better dusty than most cars look clean.

I used (2) coats of Danalese Wet Glaze 2.0 followed by one coat of Meg's #26 and (2) coats of Pinnacle Souveran. You can skip the second step. Looks amazing. Will clean her up and post pics this weekend.
Old 3/1/13, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
The title of this thread is a little decieving don't cha know
Old 3/1/13, 03:26 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
The title of this thread is a little decieving don't cha know
iv`e been debating whether to point that out .. every time i read it i think racist ...although we do have a black mustang owner ..

Quick Reply: Black car owners! Just ordered black 2014 - nervous