Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Best Wax Protection for new 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/13, 05:39 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best Wax Protection for new 5.0?

Just got a 14 Grabber Blue and want to keep that looking great!

What do you guys suggest for the best wax, or protectant type thing for this car?

Thanks
Tom
Old 10/28/13, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
I would clay bar then use a sealent in fact that is what I do at least every 6 months or so. Last time I used this stuff http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html and I am pretty happy with it. They say you can throw a coat of wax over it and I will in a few months.
Old 10/28/13, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mezerna powerlock is a great sealant and easy to work with. Detailers pro poli coat is another, klasse sealant glaze gives a great shine and protection but has to go on SUPER SUPER thing and can be a bit of a pain to work with. You can top a sealant with a nice carnuba wax to give some depth to the shine. I recommend detailers pro max wax or a good over the counter option is meguiars gold class carnuba.
Old 10/28/13, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Clay barring is a great starting point. After that, you have a lot of options, and most of them are pretty good choices and will probably end up being a personal choice. Here's what I use:

1. Meguiar's #2 Polish
2. Meguiar's ShowCar Glaze
3. Meguiar's Gold Class Wax.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IT TO BE SURE TO USE A GOOD QUALITY MICROFIBER TOWEL WHEN YOU'RE APPLYING OR REMOVING ANYTHING FROM THE PAINT SURFACE!

Good luck and enjoy your time with your Mustang!
Old 10/29/13, 05:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good carnuba paste wax. Most waxes get hot during the day, get soft, and the dirt and dust in the day time air settles on the cars surface. At night, the car cools and traps this dust/dirt into the wax. Carnuba withstands these temps, and does not melt and trap dirt, so it does not require you to have to clay bar, seal, and wax often.
Old 10/29/13, 06:07 AM

Blackfire wet diamond.
Old 10/29/13, 07:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Liquid Glass.
Old 10/29/13, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant keep the car looking good. I just finished my wife's car and shouldn't need to reapply till spring
Old 10/29/13, 11:51 AM

Meguiars NXT, goes on like butter, easy to remove and last longer than polishes like Zaino.
Old 10/29/13, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Everyone has their opinion on what the 'best' wax is. But really what it comes down to is there are a ton of products that will protect your paint very well. What you need to decide is what you are looking for a in a wax:

- Application: You looking for a spray on liquid wax? Paste Wax? Something that requires drying/buffing?

- Time: How much time do you want to spend waxing/protecting? Are you the type that doesn't mind spending a lot of time waxing her? Are you the type that wants to spend minimal time yet still get good protection? You want to wax it once a week? Once a month? Bi-Annualy?

- Cost: How much are you willing to spend. Waxes can start at $5 and end up in the hundreds of dollars.

So you'll see people will be recommending the "best" wax out there (i.e...The wax they spent money on so they want to say it is the best since they are stuck with it). But it may not be the best for you given your criteria.

For me I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want to spend a ton of time waxing yet want to keep my car looking brand new all the time. So on a bi-annual basis I clay bar the car and throw Opti-Seal on it. Opti-Seal goes on real easy and requires no buffing/removal. I wash weekly with Optimum No Rinse (ONR). Once or twice a month after I wash I'll spray some Optimum Car Wax (OCW) or Aquawax on her (These are both liquid waxes that require no buffing).

With my process I keep my car looking brand new, looking good, feeling slick, and protected with minimal time. I'm sure there are other waxes that may make the paint "pop" more or protect longer....but I've found my sweet spot for products/process after trying a load of different products over the years.

Another tip....you can wax her up real good....but if you don't properly wash her you could ruin the wax job you spent all that time on. So invest in a good wash mitt, good wash soap, and good drying towels. Then learn one of the few proper washing techniques.
Old 10/29/13, 01:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hydro1
Meguiars NXT, goes on like butter, easy to remove and last longer than polishes like Zaino.
+1

I've used the NXT and it works great, just like the rest of the Meguiar's product line.
Old 10/29/13, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got a new Mustang as well. I'll be driving it in the winter. A colleague suggested in passing that I should wax it before the winter to help protect it from the salt and dirt it will encounter. Does this make sense? And if so, any type of wax I should focus on for this type of application? (seems to be liquids, pastes, etc.)
Old 10/29/13, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
+1 I've used the NXT and it works great, just like the rest of the Meguiar's product line.
I have used nxt on my wife's DD for the last couple years. It really does hold up well in the winter. I have been wanting to try a sealant though. Should last even longer.

If only there was a "waterless wash" solution for the clumps of ice that build up behind the wheels after it snows
Old 10/29/13, 05:24 PM
GT Member

I bought and used Adams Premium Care products this summer and it's really nice stuff. Rejex is another product that has always been my go to product over the last five years. You can use it for just about everything on your exterior (windshield, wheels to help reduce brake dust build-up, exhaust tips) and it will last for months. Bonus, it's under $20.
http://www.autogeek.net/rejex-paint-sealant.html
Old 10/29/13, 06:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dburton_mi
I have used nxt on my wife's DD for the last couple years. It really does hold up well in the winter. I have been wanting to try a sealant though. Should last even longer.

If only there was a "waterless wash" solution for the clumps of ice that build up behind the wheels after it snows
spray that area with wd-40
Old 10/29/13, 06:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

autozone for the clay bar and meguires gold class. Under 40 bucks and your good for a few months. I did it that ways for years up untill recently when I picked up the wolfes sealent. I will do that twice a year with a coat or two of the gold class inbetween from now on.
Old 10/29/13, 09:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I hate waxing, so I had Xzilon applied to my last two Mustangs with great results. Click here for info.
Old 10/29/13, 09:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I hate waxing, so I had Xzilon applied to my last two Mustangs with great results. Click here for info.
I can honestly say I've never heard of this product but if it works for you, that's great. I kinda like detailing my car but if I didn't, using a company which had a "start a claim" category on their homepage would make me a little nervous.
Old 10/30/13, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
I've got a new Mustang as well. I'll be driving it in the winter. A colleague suggested in passing that I should wax it before the winter to help protect it from the salt and dirt it will encounter. Does this make sense? And if so, any type of wax I should focus on for this type of application? (seems to be liquids, pastes, etc.)
I also suggest a good coat of wax before winter as it will add another layer of protection to the paint and make it easier for salt/dirt/etc to be washed off.

As for types of wax, there are many recommendations in this thread, I've had good luck with Meguiars but I haven't tried any specialty waxes available online.
Old 10/30/13, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Griots One Step Polish and Sealant works awesome guys. Give it try.

Quick Reply: Best Wax Protection for new 5.0?