Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Battery powered wheel buffer

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/07, 01:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery powered wheel buffer

Anyone know were to purchase a battery powered wheel buffer like Chip Foose uses in his commercial?
Old 4/14/07, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you talking about the power ball that fits a cordless drill? We bought ours at O'Reilly's.
Old 4/14/07, 06:45 PM
GT Member

I remember seeing Chip Foose in a commercial and it looked like something else he was selling. You could be right though.
Old 4/14/07, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's called a 'Mother's Powerball' and you can get it at wal mart or any national parts store like autozone. They do a really nice job, but are a bit pricey.
Old 4/15/07, 01:31 PM
GT Member

thanks Chris. Just got one.
Old 5/8/07, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you go about using one of these? Do you wax the wheels then use the ball to take the wax off or something else? Thanks guys.
Old 5/8/07, 11:56 PM
V6 Member

You attach it to your drill (make sure you're going "clockwise"), hold the drill down with the ball pointing "up" so you can pour a little polish on the top half of the PowerBall.

If you're using a paste polish, you can lightly dip the ball into the jar.

Use the appropriate polish for the finish. If you've got clearcoat or painted rims (with a plasticized clearcoat), use a good cleaner wax or a plastic polish. If you've got bare aluminum, their PowerMetal is real nice. If you've got billet, use a billet polish. Use whatever you like, but liquids work better; if you use a paste, you might either dampen the ball first with water or mist it a little.

You're polishing with the PowerBall -- not buffing. Wipe with a towel.

If you're doing serious polishing with a metal polish, don't work in such big areas that the polish will dry.

If you're using it for wheels, dress the tires first.

It's also fantastic with a plastic polish for your headlight and other lenses... lift the hood and mask or dress the trim depending on the car you're working on.

You can see some "commercials" that do a little demo here: PowerBall

I really like these things. Don't force it into holes... you'll rip it apart, but they can compress pretty good. And you don't need a lot of speed... start slow to prevent slinging until the polish gets worked into the ball and into the surface.

Wash in dish soap and let air dry before storing.
Old 5/10/07, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the how to, my post made it seem as if I did not know that you attach it to a drill . I just was not sure if this was used to take off polish that had cured, again thanks.