Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Ashphalt Overspray

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/06, 08:46 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so wash the car on sunday and find small black dots all over it. they wont come off. then i remember last week i when i parked at publix they were repaving the lot. when i parked they looked like they were done. they had half open and half closed. i parked right next to the dividing cones. well i come out and the were walking down the dividing line sraying what looked like black water. and they had already walked by my car. so i go home and kind of forget about till the other day. you have to get about 1 ft away to see the dots. well call the paving comp and the owner says it happens a lot and a detailer will come and fix it. ok a free detail that's great right? but will they wet sand it or buff it or what. i really dont want the swirl marks from wet sanding. can someone give me some advice. does it need to be repainted or can they be buffed out? my car is satin silver by the way.

thanks
Old 2/21/06, 08:59 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
usually you can get that stuff off with WD40
Old 2/21/06, 09:04 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GTSILVER @ February 21, 2006, 10:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
so wash the car on sunday and find small black dots all over it. they wont come off. then i remember last week i when i parked at publix they were repaving the lot. when i parked they looked like they were done. they had half open and half closed. i parked right next to the dividing cones. well i come out and the were walking down the dividing line sraying what looked like black water. and they had already walked by my car. so i go home and kind of forget about till the other day. you have to get about 1 ft away to see the dots. well call the paving comp and the owner says it happens a lot and a detailer will come and fix it. ok a free detail that's great right? but will they wet sand it or buff it or what. i really dont want the swirl marks from wet sanding. can someone give me some advice. does it need to be repainted or can they be buffed out? my car is satin silver by the way.

thanks
[/b][/quote]

Try gasoline.
Old 2/21/06, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Before you try anything rash, go to Pep Boys or wherever they sell car stuff and get some pre wax cleaner like Meguiar's (among others) and it should come off. This must be mostly in lower areas so just put some wax afterwards and should be good as new.

I'd rather do this than have some guy put cheap stuff with abrasive on my car. Let us know how it comes out.
John
Old 2/21/06, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GTSILVER @ February 21, 2006, 10:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

thanks
[/b][/quote]

try and good quality clay bar and detail spray.. should come out if not the gasoline/water mix would do good...
Old 2/21/06, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

wont gas hurt the paint????
Old 2/21/06, 11:07 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GTSILVER @ February 21, 2006, 12:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
wont gas hurt the paint????
[/b][/quote]

It's never hurt any of my cars. You can also use mineral spirits.
Old 2/21/06, 11:55 AM
V6 Member

sorry to be so worried but arent mineral spirits and paint thinner the same thing?

and does anyone know what this black water is?

thanks for all the replies by the way
Old 2/21/06, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Happened to me before on my previous car.. Although I cleaned it up the night that it happened. A claybar took it right off with ease.
Old 2/21/06, 12:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Or, the Bug and Tar remover will work too...
Old 2/21/06, 12:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superman112 @ February 21, 2006, 11:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
try and good quality clay bar and detail spray.. should come out if not the gasoline/water mix would do good...
[/b][/quote]

ding ding ding! thats the proper way [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinb120 @ February 21, 2006, 2:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ding ding ding! thats the proper way [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

nice!! what do I win!!????
Old 2/21/06, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GTSILVER @ February 21, 2006, 12:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
and does anyone know what this black water is?[/b][/quote]
Yea, it's most likely asphault paint (tar mixture) used to make the parking lot look new again... They will probably repaint all the parking space lines, etc. next....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superman112 @ February 21, 2006, 10:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
Yea, definitely use a good quality clay bar and detailer spray... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] It removes just about anything (tar, paint, tree sap, oxidation etc.)...
Old 2/21/06, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Or, the Bug and Tar remover will work too...[/b][/quote]

I used to be an auto detailer for exotics. +1 on the bug & tar remover. If you can get the one that is safe on clear coat finishes. May take a bit of time and elbow grease to remove, but it does the job.
Old 2/22/06, 08:31 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving this to car care section. Sure you could consider ashphalt spray an "exterior" mod......

Also, as others have pointed out, try WD40 or you can use a tar remover available at most automotive supply stores.
Old 2/22/06, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Whenever I get asphalt on my rear bumper, I just use Simply Z-Best Car Wax and it comes off on seconds.
Old 2/23/06, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Bug and Tar remover then wash the area, dry, and rewax it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/23/06, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Our 93 had some of that one it and bug and tar remover got rid of it. Mineral spirits will only get some of it.

the black stuff is tar if they were laying down ashphalt. They use it to make a bond between the stuff they are laying down and the stuff that was already there.
Old 4/11/06, 09:53 AM
V6 Member

well the update is i had a detailer clay bar it and it worked. i scrubbed the whole car in gasolin/water mix and bug tar remover, seperate times, and they did not work.
Old 4/13/06, 05:24 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I had that. It was gross. Little black bumps all over the passenger side looked like a teenager with pimples.

I was told here to use WD40 to loosen it. Worked like a charm!

Quick Reply: Ashphalt Overspray