Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Armor all butter smooth wax

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/11, 12:05 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
It sounds like its about the same level of effort but they are NOT the same kind of product. The Armor All is WAX; Blackfire Wet Diamond is a sealant. Both can improve shine but they have other attributes.

In general, waxes have a different look to them than sealants. Some people put wax over sealant so they get the protection of the sealant but the look of wax. Of course that's at least twice the work. Some people compare the looks of sealants and wax to the differences between analog and digital music recordings, with wax being the analog.

I have not looked at a car waxed with butter wax BUT waxes in general are not quite as reflective as the most reflective sealants such as BlackFire's. Waxes have more of a subdued look, IMO. Not a better or worse look, just different.

A good sealant will give more protection from bugs, birds, sap, etc. than chain store waxes. But obviously a fresh coat of wax will be better than a worn off sealant. So there is merit to the idea of just waxing more often if you like the look of the wax and don't mind the time. Personally, I don't mind the time if the effort level is low like it sounds is the case with Butter Smooth wax. In fact I changed from many year use of Zaino to the Blackfire because I liked the look better and am willing to use it more often than needed with Zaino IF needed, although I suspect Blackfire will equal or exceed Zaino in longevity.

If you go with a wax, avoid cleaner waxes or ones with petroleum bases (don't know about butter smooth wax). They are harder than necessary on good condition paint AND make it impossible or impractical to get extra protection or visual "depth" by adding layers. These kinds remove all or most of any wax already on the car when you use them.

Whatever you decide on, strip any dealer wax/etc before claying. The clay will pick up more and last longer. A pH neutral dish soap is good for the job. Classic Dawn is a safe bet.
Points taken, thanks for the tips