Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Aquapel

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/13, 04:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aquapel

I love this stuff. Marc turned me on to it last year, but I recently did both cars and continue to love the results. My first application lasted from Labor Day last year until the beginning of April and still had beading properties.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, Aquapel is basically Rain-X on steroids. A single application lasts 4-6 months, based on their info. Application is simple; use the applicator to wipe on, then spread across windshield, then buff off with dry paper towels. For a daily driver, it's a must have IMO.
Old 5/10/13, 05:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I expected too much but, I tried Aquapel on my GT and really did not notice a difference. I also have been using their glass cleaner for the past 4 months and have banished it from my routine and replaced it with Stoner invisible glass cleaner.
The Aquapel glass cleaner leaves streaks and is cloudy, the Stoner does not.
I have an unused application of Aquapel left so I may try it on my wife's SUV, I don't plan on using it again on the GT.
Just my opinion, and for those who wonder if I followed the directions on application of the Aquapel, I did and to the letter so don't go there.
Old 5/10/13, 05:37 AM
Detailing Guru

I love Aquapel, and I've turned a lot of people onto it. As Overboost said, it tends to last much longer than similar products. Most clients of mine report durability in the 8 month range, but some say as little as 6, some as many as 12 months.

It is made and was developed by PPG for aerospace use. This stuff wasn't intended for car windshields, but rather fight jet canopies and space shuttle windows.

The biggest thing it offers in my opinion, is safety. You can much better see the road in bad weather. A true must for wife's, girlfriends, teens, and your daily driver. Not as important on a garage queen.
Old 5/10/13, 05:41 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Maybe I expected too much but, I tried Aquapel on my GT and really did not notice a difference. I also have been using their glass cleaner for the past 4 months and have banished it from my routine and replaced it with Stoner invisible glass cleaner.
The Aquapel glass cleaner leaves streaks and is cloudy, the Stoner does not.
I have an unused application of Aquapel left so I may try it on my wife's SUV, I don't plan on using it again on the GT.
Just my opinion, and for those who wonder if I followed the directions on application of the Aquapel, I did and to the letter so don't go there.
Interesting. I've done at least a half dozen applications of it since last fall, and not one has been an issue. I agree with you on their glass cleaner, it leaves a lot to be desired. Invisible Glass works much better.

Just a thought, could your wipers be dirty or worn?
Old 5/10/13, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Car is 6 months old, I just don't think it is all that and won't be using it again.
Old 5/10/13, 06:47 AM
GTR Member

To each his own.

Its worth mentioning that when I do an application, I typically wash the windshield with Glass Scrub, then once the car is dried, I clay the windows and dry them again, then apply.
Old 5/10/13, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't mean to sound like I am totally against the product, it just does not add enough benefit to justify the cost or effort.
I use Zaino glass polish on my wifes suv and honestly it seems the same as the aquapel and her vehicle is 11 yrs old.
I am now using the ZAINO on the mustang and it seems the same with a lot less effort.
I guess I was looking for the Aquapel to do more than it does.
I will say it is better than not doing anything to your glass.
Old 5/10/13, 10:59 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I don't mean to sound like I am totally against the product, it just does not add enough benefit to justify the cost or effort.
I use Zaino glass polish on my wifes suv and honestly it seems the same as the aquapel and her vehicle is 11 yrs old.
I am now using the ZAINO on the mustang and it seems the same with a lot less effort.
I guess I was looking for the Aquapel to do more than it does.
I will say it is better than not doing anything to your glass.
I'm not familar with the Zaino stuff, but I do feel Aquapel works much better than Rain-X or the Invisible Glass repellant. I'm also not sure what your cost is, but I've paid $4 for the application by buying a pack of them.