Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Any tips for removing water spots?

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/13, 01:42 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigblue11
Or something like this during your rinse...http://www.detailedimage.com/CRSpotl...FWQKRQodlGb7Uw
Agreed! I have a similar two stage system wash with a quality soap and rise with de-ionized water then put it in the garage and forget about it. It almost killed me not to dry the car after washing. Next morning clean as a whistle and no spots. Pricey but I'm lazy
Old 4/13/13, 02:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
I would not leave the soap on there. I rinse as I go but will spray down finished area to keep the wet until I finish. then I dry starting with the top and windows.
I completely agree. Though I wash in shade, during summer the air is hot and dry and soap dries quickly as does standing water.
I soap a section or two, then rinse so neither the soap or standing water starts to dry. Then I soap another few sections and rinse those areas as well as the previous rinsed areas so that there is no standing water for more than a few to 5 mins.
Then micro fiber dry immediately starting with top areas where water is standing (hood, roof, trunk). If I get interrupted I keep spraying rinse water every few minutes. No standing water longer than 5 mins! Comes out great with no water spots.

Why? I learned the hard way. I have well water that has some calcium or lime in it. When I first got Bullitt I came home one night late after driving through a bunch of bugs. Thinking I was doing good, I hosed off the bugs on the front and went to bed.

The next day when I washed I had HUGE water spots from hell! Would not come off after several washings and different methods. Took back to Dealer and they had to do an 'acid wash' to remove them. I had paid for the fancy dealer polymer treatment and it included a guarantee against water spots. So the acid wash and reapply were N/C but taught me a lesson right away. So I researched and have used this method successfully ever since. Still has deep shine and water beads great. I've never waxed it - just the polymer treatment.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/13/13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 4/13/13, 03:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

I completely agree. Though I wash in shade, during summer the air is hot and dry and soap dries quickly as does standing water.
I soap a section or two, then rinse so neither the soap or standing water starts to dry. Then I soap another few sections and rinse those areas as well as the previous rinsed areas so that there is no standing water for more than a few to 5 mins.
Then micro fiber dry immediately starting with top areas where water is standing (hood, roof, trunk). If I get interrupted I keep spraying rinse water every few minutes. No standing water longer than 5 mins! Comes out great with no water spots.

Why? I learned the hard way. I have well water that has some calcium or lime in it. When I first got Bullitt I came home one night late after driving through a bunch of bugs. Thinking I was doing good, I hosed off the bugs on the front and went to bed.

The next day when I washed I had HUGE water spots from hell! Would not come off after several washings and different methods. Took back to Dealer and they had to do an 'acid wash' to remove them. I had paid for the fancy dealer polymer treatment and it included a guarantee against water spots. So the acid wash and reapply were N/C but taught me a lesson right away. So I researched and have used this method successfully ever since. Still has deep shine and water beads great. I've never waxed it - just the polymer treatment.
This is true if you're in the shade. I have a garage but the car is outside and in the sun when washing. If you have shade then rinse. If you're in sunlight then do one rinse and get under cover. I'm not lying! I've tried it several ways and this is the best for guys like me with no shade
Old 4/13/13, 03:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the way I do it it works for me as well as the other methods work for other people. So we can conclude that it may be the soap one uses more than the way we wash our cars. A good wax will help prevent water spots more than anything. I also keep mine wet because I use a spray wax that I apply before I dry because it prolongs the wax job I currently have.
If you want expert opinions try this link. They only make and sell car care products and they have videos as well as a link to ask questions. If you live in the area they will even do demos.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/
Old 4/13/13, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
you can use vinegar on the windows to remove the spots. I use the meguires clay bar along with their detailing spray. I am also a big fan of the waterless wash products out there, never any spots. as stated above by someone else I spray some megs utilmate wax on the micro fiber when drying after a water wash. More than one way to wash a car.
Old 4/13/13, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I just ordered pinnacle water spot remover. It's a gel type product you can put on by Hand or a dual action polisher with a light cutting pad.
Old 4/13/13, 05:00 PM
GT Member

I have been using Chemical Guys products and have found nothing is as good as their products. I am finally going to break down and have my Kona blue 5.0 "professionally" done this coming Tuesday. The guy used to work for Barret-Jackson and he told me he ONLY uses Chemical Guys stuff. Look it up...it had helped me win three 1st places, one 2nd place, and 1 "Best of Show" so far this year.

Last edited by Music man in Pcola; 4/13/13 at 05:00 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 4/13/13, 09:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I still say don't rinse as you go. But if you can keep the car wet then more power to you. The soap will not harm the paint. I know it looks scary because its filmy... Seriously leave it alone until the final rinse.

The final light rinse and the "sheet" rinse really is best. No need to debate. I got enough worries with these black cars.
I hear ya with the black car's.

I use a waterless wash with my black car, The only way I can get it clean and looking good.
Meguiars waterless car wash.
Old 4/13/13, 09:56 PM
GT Member

I picked up the mothers clay bar kit and it took care of my windows! I havent had the chance to tackle the paint yet :/ i hope it works just as good!
Old 4/14/13, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Do not wash in the sun!
Old 4/14/13, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 4/14/13, 03:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I have a simple solution - use a squeegee on the windows rather than any kind of cloth to dry it. Gets it pretty darn close and is all you need unless you're getting ready for a show.
Old 4/14/13, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

After rinsing, I take the shop vac to my car and blow all the water off. (My neighbors must think I'm crazy) How long are you letting the water sit before you dry the car?
Old 4/14/13, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Roller13
Do not wash in the sun!
Do not sun in the wash!
Old 4/14/13, 07:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Do not sun in the wash!
Wait,.......what?!?
Old 4/14/13, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by M88K
After rinsing, I take the shop vac to my car and blow all the water off. (My neighbors must think I'm crazy) How long are you letting the water sit before you dry the car?
I think you're crazy and I'm not even your neighbor.
Old 4/14/13, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

I think you're crazy and I'm not even your neighbor.
Why do neighbors always stare and comment when you detail your cars? Never fails always got some jackhole that walks over and tells you it's pointless and that it's "just gonna get dirty again."

I think it just psychologically reminds them that they need to get their fat butts moving and do the same for their cars.
Old 4/14/13, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by cdynaco

I have used the exact same method since i've owned my first car.

In the shade , wash one or two section at a time, hose off, and keep going like this by always keeping the car wet.

Don't have a polymer treatment, but i usually wax the car with "Auto Glym " twice in a 6 month period since it is stored for most part of the winter.
Old 4/14/13, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
you can use vinegar on the windows to remove the spots. I use the meguires clay bar along with their detailing spray. I am also a big fan of the waterless wash products out there, never any spots. as stated above by someone else I spray some megs utilmate wax on the micro fiber when drying after a water wash. More than one way to wash a car.
Do you just wipe the vinegar on the windows? I have some really nasty water spots on my windows. I could spray them really good with window cleaner and wipe and they still don't want to come out.
Old 4/14/13, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by carlg
Do you just wipe the vinegar on the windows? I have some really nasty water spots on my windows. I could spray them really good with window cleaner and wipe and they still don't want to come out.
Best way to do it is if you clay bar it, then wax the window. This will prevent spots from reappearing.

Quick Reply: Any tips for removing water spots?