Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Any tips for removing water spots?

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/13, 09:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips for removing water spots?

I spent a while washing my car today as i always do! I usually shammy my widows and windshield and follow that up with a terry cloth to remove any streaks. But at certain angles my windshield is plauged with water spots i keep my car garaged every night and even use this water spot remover by mothers that doesnt seem to help too much. Does anyone have any tips to offer? Seems my hood has them too. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Any tips for removing water spots?-image-48413164.jpg   Any tips for removing water spots?-image-1535919550.jpg   Any tips for removing water spots?-image-1930441811.jpg  
Old 4/12/13, 09:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Uggh they have to be clay barred out, polished and waxed over. You will occasionally use scratch x if some of the spots etched.

Those spots tell me you sprayed your car down with water, soaped up, and spray rinsed certain areas as you continued to work and soap up other areas.

Remember, don't rinse until you have every soaped up area complete. Don't worry, the car soap will not stain or stick to the paint.

Once you are done soaping, rinse carefully in a gentle flow stream of water not a machine gun sprayer) from top to bottom and get under cover ASAP!

Ps yes you can clay bar glass.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 4/12/13 at 09:43 PM.
Old 4/12/13, 10:52 PM
GT Member

Informative!! Thanks so much man!! Yes i usually spray down car, wash hood... Rinse... Wash fender.... Rinse. Youre saying i need to speay down car, wash whole car, then rinse correct? Is there a certain brand of clay bar that is the best?
Old 4/12/13, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by YouGoGlenCocoa
Informative!! Thanks so much man!! Yes i usually spray down car, wash hood... Rinse... Wash fender.... Rinse. Youre saying i need to speay down car, wash whole car, then rinse correct? Is there a certain brand of clay bar that is the best?
Mothers makes the best clay bar.

Yes make sure are done soaping the entire car before you rinse off. Alot of people think they need to get the soap off as soon as possible. Not true. The soap will film up in the sun but will rinse off. Don't worry. Never use dish soap and spring for the good car wash soap.

Remember, It's the clean water that will bead on your car and create the water spots. Don't dry the car in direct sunlight. Hopefully you have a garage. Hose off and get under shade quick. Then use the softest shammy (or other equivalent) to dry the car ASAP.
Old 4/13/13, 02:35 AM

Name:  image-3821874804.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  23.5 KB

I picked this stuff up last week, I have yet to try it
Old 4/13/13, 04:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Mothers makes a clay bar.
Fixed that for you.
Old 4/13/13, 05:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bwahahahahaha!! There are a lot of clay bars out there but the only one people see is Mother's because you can get it at the FLAPS. I have seen Groit's there as well but only at one location. A little goes a long way.

Oh, FLAPS is Friendly Local Auto Parts Store in case you were wondering.

Autogeek.net has a ton of different clay bar options as well as instructions on how to do what you want. Check them out.
Old 4/13/13, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fullahead

Fixed that for you.
I've tried them all as well. Then one day a lightbulb went off and I realized that I was sometimes paying more for the same piece of clay because the others were in a prettier box. Mothers is the best to me because its easily available and does what it promises. It will remove water spots and contaminants as it promises.

We all know that clay barring is just a step like washing. I know people that buy really expensive car soap when Meguiars does the same.

The real technique to a total detail is in the wax and polish and how they are applied. You can teeter on brands a bit per your preference. Example: I don't use mothers wax but I adore their aluminum wheel cleaner.

Stay thrifty my friends. Stay thrifty.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 4/13/13 at 07:47 AM.
Old 4/13/13, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by RaceRed5.0

I picked this stuff up last week, I have yet to try it
Nice. Let us know how it works. Hopefully it's not harsh or abrasive.
Old 4/13/13, 08:45 AM
GT Member

I really appreciate everyone's time this is gonna help me out from now on so much. I usually wash woth a wash by armour-all... Bad choice?
Old 4/13/13, 09:06 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Like Patrick said its best to do a final rinse with a stream of water like straight from the hose with no nozzle. The water will 'sheet' off the car if its been waxed well and won't stand in spots for the most part.
Old 4/13/13, 09:30 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Also, try not to wash your car when it is hot or warm. And make sure you wash your car in the shade, out of the sunlight.
Old 4/13/13, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Try Adam's polishes! They have probably the best products out.
Old 4/13/13, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Or something like this during your rinse...http://www.detailedimage.com/CRSpotl...FWQKRQodlGb7Uw
Old 4/13/13, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
Or something like this during your rinse...http://www.detailedimage.com/CRSpotl...FWQKRQodlGb7Uw
Pricey.
Old 4/13/13, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uggh they have to be clay barred out, polished and waxed over. You will occasionally use scratch x if some of the spots etched.

Those spots tell me you sprayed your car down with water, soaped up, and spray rinsed certain areas as you continued to work and soap up other areas.

Remember, don't rinse until you have every soaped up area complete. Don't worry, the car soap will not stain or stick to the paint.

Once you are done soaping, rinse carefully in a gentle flow stream of water not a machine gun sprayer) from top to bottom and get under cover ASAP!

Ps yes you can clay bar glass.

I would not leave the soap on there. I rinse as I go but will spray down finished area to keep the wet until I finish. then I dry starting with the top and windows. You also can find glass polish out there if you want to go that route. If you use a clay bar get one that is made for glass. it is a little harder and if you have any chips or pits in your window it won't get embedded like a paint clay bar will.
Old 4/13/13, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mothers makes the best clay bar.

Yes make sure are done soaping the entire car before you rinse off. Alot of people think they need to get the soap off as soon as possible. Not true. The soap will film up in the sun but will rinse off. Don't worry. Never use dish soap and spring for the good car wash soap.

Remember, It's the clean water that will bead on your car and create the water spots. Don't dry the car in direct sunlight. Hopefully you have a garage. Hose off and get under shade quick. Then use the softest shammy (or other equivalent) to dry the car ASAP.

I use Griots products but there are similar products out there. you can order the stuff online and they will ship it free if you order over 100.00 in stuff. All their stuff will not react negatively with their other products. You can get this with using several different brands.
Old 4/13/13, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've tried them all as well. Then one day a lightbulb went off and I realized that I was sometimes paying more for the same piece of clay because the others were in a prettier box. Mothers is the best to me because its easily available and does what it promises. It will remove water spots and contaminants as it promises.

We all know that clay barring is just a step like washing. I know people that buy really expensive car soap when Meguiars does the same.

The real technique to a total detail is in the wax and polish and how they are applied. You can teeter on brands a bit per your preference. Example: I don't use mothers wax but I adore their aluminum wheel cleaner.

Stay thrifty my friends. Stay thrifty.
Get Portfolio is right when he says it is all in the prep before wax. And to some point he is right sometimes it does not matter on the product. However if you want the show sign it does pay to pay more for the good stuff that also last longer and shines deeper. I know I kind of brag about Griots products. They are pricey but I Show my car and have been using them and have been amazed at the results. I will now always pay more for the good stuff. here is a sample of what they can do. this was wet clayed, #3 polish and two coats of premium carnuba. If this stuff can make white shine like this Just image what it would do to a car with color.
Attached Thumbnails Any tips for removing water spots?-detail-2013.jpg  
Old 4/13/13, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS

I would not leave the soap on there. I rinse as I go but will spray down finished area to keep the wet until I finish. then I dry starting with the top and windows. You also can find glass polish out there if you want to go that route. If you use a clay bar get one that is made for glass. it is a little harder and if you have any chips or pits in your window it won't get embedded like a paint clay bar will.
I still say don't rinse as you go. But if you can keep the car wet then more power to you. The soap will not harm the paint. I know it looks scary because its filmy... Seriously leave it alone until the final rinse.

The final light rinse and the "sheet" rinse really is best. No need to debate. I got enough worries with these black cars.
Old 4/13/13, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
If it's available in your area, DuraGloss #755 Nu-Glass. Works great, and doesn't scratch your glass. Made right here in North Carolina.

Quick Reply: Any tips for removing water spots?