Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Am I the only one who washes the inner wheel well?

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/12, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one who washes the inner wheel well?

I've had my stang for a couple of weeks and I find myself getting a little OCD. It's not my DD so I end up washing it after every drive. Started to seem excessive today after two washes in two days.

I store it in a open garage with a cover, don't want any dirt under the cover so I give it a clean before putting it to bed. But as I started to wash the inner wheel wells I was thinking I may be going a little over board.

How often do you guys wash, and to what extent?
Old 12/31/12, 10:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
"You're not sleeping with it are you?"

- Venkman in Ghosrbusters
Old 12/31/12, 10:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
If I have the time, once a week. I could do it once every five minutes with mine, though, since it's black and I live in the middle of Texas. I also keep it in a closed garage. It really just depends on what you feel is appropriate; I love my Shelby in black, but I can tell you it will be the only black car I ever own again because of the time necessary to keep it respectably clean. Some guys wash their cars once a month, others go so far as to clean the engine bay every time they wash the car. It's your Mustang; treat it how you feel like it needs to be treated.
Old 12/31/12, 11:18 PM

I wash mine too...and it never sees rain
Old 1/1/13, 12:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can usually see the dirt on the inside of my wheels when you look at them, so whenever I clean my wheels, I clean the inside too. I can just reach between the spokes to get most of it, but if I'm cleaning for a car show I'll get under the car and wash them.
Old 1/1/13, 12:24 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Device - You do what makes you happy. I'm sure your car looks great. But, if you ask me, washing it after every single drive sounds a bit OCD to me, for sure. Remember that even the mildest soap does contain elements that remove not only dirt, but also protectants you may have on your clear-coat (wax, polish, etc.). So the more frequent you wash, the more frequent you will need re-apply wax. My car is garaged, and we don't get much rain here in Las Vegas. Only 5k miles per year driving. I wash my car once a month, and a full detail with wax once a year. In addition, about once every week or two I go over the car very lightly with a California CarDuster (this thing works great BTW). And I keep the interior spotless. Most of the time, the car looks like it came right off the showroom floor. But I know that many owners would think I don't wash/wax it frequently enough, and that's okay, too.
Old 1/1/13, 03:43 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It's perfectly natural.

My '05 is a weekend toy, and she'll get washed after every drive (mind you, I only drive her for fun, never to the store or the like).

If the weather has been good, the very least she'll get is a detail with the California Duster and/or microfibre cloth.

Detailing the Mustang is therapy for me
Old 1/1/13, 04:00 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevice
I've had my stang for a couple of weeks and I find myself getting a little OCD. It's not my DD so I end up washing it after every drive. Started to seem excessive today after two washes in two days.

I store it in a open garage with a cover, don't want any dirt under the cover so I give it a clean before putting it to bed. But as I started to wash the inner wheel wells I was thinking I may be going a little over board.

I have been known to remove the wheels and remove the wheel liners and wash them. Yeah I'm that crazy. Of course I remove the wheels to clean the inside of the wheel. And those **** wheel liners always need cleaning.

Used to wash the car so much more than I do now. Here the water is so hard and if I use the softened water it full of salt. Dangit. Back when I was on better water I pretty much washed after every time I drove it. Or every weekend at least.

Now I've got more than one and its too hard to keep up. Luckily one of them never sees rain at all and hardly sees the road so washing it usually just involved wiping the brake dust from the wheels.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/1/13 at 04:02 AM.
Old 1/1/13, 06:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDevice

I do. It's kinda like polishing shoes. The back is part of the shoe, so it gets polished as well.
Old 1/1/13, 07:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I use wesleys bleach white on mine from time too time but not every time I wash the car. Maybe use a calie car duster and you won't have to wash it so often
Old 1/1/13, 07:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Now I've got a whole lot more than one and its too hard to keep up. Luckily one of them never sees rain at all and hardly sees the road so washing it usually just involved wiping the brake dust generated by lowering the lift it occupies.
FIXED

(how do you post such a coherent thread at 5am on New Years Day?)
Old 1/1/13, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
"You're not sleeping with it are you?"

- Venkman in Ghosrbusters
Hahaha. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 1/1/13, 07:54 AM

I remove the wheels for a good wash and clean the wheel wells while they are off.
I try to not drive the Mustang in the rain, but it seems the last 3 times I did I got caught in a pop-up rain storm. Maybe I should make it my DD and break the TX drought
Old 1/1/13, 08:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that I have 5-spokes, theyre easy to clean so I do the whole wheel too and wash once a week on average. None of the ideas in this thread are helping my OCD though...curse you all.
Old 1/1/13, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I too wash the wheel wells from time to time. A lot of rubber tends to build up on the rears
How about vacuuming the hood liner? Anyone else do that?
Old 1/1/13, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by wheelman
Now that I have 5-spokes, theyre easy to clean so I do the whole wheel too and wash once a week on average. None of the ideas in this thread are helping my OCD though...curse you all.
The guy that lived across the street from my wife (when she was growing up) would pop the trim panels off his truck when he washed it to make sure not dirt was left anywhere. Just a suggestion in case you had not thought of that
Old 1/1/13, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tron84
I too wash the wheel wells from time to time. A lot of rubber tends to build up on the rears
How about vacuuming the hood liner? Anyone else do that?
Adding the hood liner vac job to my list
Old 1/1/13, 08:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54

Adding the hood liner vac job to my list
I just can't stand seeing all those little white fuzzy things stuck all over there
Old 1/1/13, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep..I wash the inside of the wheel wells, and spray the back side of the wheels, from the outside. I also take it through a touchless car wash, with bottom spray, once a month, or when I have driven in the rain or snow (no snow so far this year). In the Spring, I will pull the Blizzaks off, clean and wax the wheels, and then do the entire under side while the car is jacked up, with my pressure washer, and cleaner to get rid of any winter residue. As Twin Turbo stated, "this is therapy"...the best kind.
Old 1/1/13, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Show me the technique I want to do that too

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who washes the inner wheel well?