Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

2005+ Mustang through automatic car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/05, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading about all this work on Mustang up keep:

When to clay bar
Swirl in black cars
McGregor’s is better than X
X is better than Turtle
Using a duster
There even questions about teflon

The list goes on and on, I sometimes use an automatic car wash for the Windstar but I was wondering about the Mustang, a membership would mean I could get it washed everyday if I wanted, but I'm not sure if that would be the best thing for it. Are you going to use an automatic car wash for your 2005+ Mustang?

Thank You for your input.

MustangDan
Old 5/29/05, 04:38 PM
FR500 Member

I do if I'm strapped for time, but even then it's a touchless one. Look for Car Washes that are either brushless or preferably touchless.
Old 5/29/05, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MustangDan@May 29, 2005, 6:23 PM
I've been reading about all this work on Mustang up keep:

When to clay bar
Swirl in black cars
McGregor’s is better than X
X is better than Turtle
Using a duster
There even questions about teflon

The list goes on and on, I sometimes use an automatic car wash for the Windstar but I was wondering about the Mustang, a membership would mean I could get it washed everyday if I wanted, but I'm not sure if that would be the best thing for it. Are you going to use an automatic car wash for your 2005+ Mustang?

Thank You for your input.

MustangDan

As a previous detailer, NO FRIGGING WAY!!! :nono: All automatic car washes will scratch your paint, even the soft touch or so called brushless ones. My advice get the Mr Clean Dryless Car Wash (I think that what its called, I'm having a brain fart at the moment and can't remember the name) system. I have it and love it. It allows for bucket less car washes and cuts down the wash time dramatically. I still dry my car but it takes about half the time as it would doing it the old way. Only draw back is the filters that work with the system aren't cheap.
Old 5/29/05, 04:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard the the Mr Clean system stinks, but I guess that depends on who you talk to. I wouldn't take my car to the car wash just because I don't want those guys changing my radio station for the 3 seconds that they drive your car, that's another reason because they drive your car and they always move the seat, I'm 6'3.
Old 5/29/05, 04:59 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

NEVER NEVER do I use any carwash.

Mr. Clean Autodry and Shammies Rock!
Old 5/29/05, 05:11 PM

no automatic car wash for mine...I don't even take it out in the rain!!
Old 5/29/05, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

MR. CLEAN ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 5/29/05, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Excellent question, Dan! I have only washed my car twice since getting her (sorry, it). Only because the weather has not really made it praticeable or convenient. I live in a converted tobacco warehouse in Richmond and I don't have access to a hose. Therefore, I have to bring mine to a car wash. However, I do not bring it to just any car wash. I carefully remove stubborn stains by hand and then drive it through the totally brushless (read: high pressure water jet) type car wash. I really don't have any choice. If I owned a house, that would be a different story. I'd keep her (sorry, it) stored in a garage and wash her (sorry, it) whenever it was necessary and practical. Oh heck, I'll say it, she's a her and I'm okay with that!
Old 5/29/05, 05:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@May 29, 2005, 7:34 PM
Excellent question, Dan! I have only washed my car twice since getting her (sorry, it). Only because the weather has not really made it praticeable or convenient. I live in a converted tobacco warehouse in Richmond and I don't have access to a hose. Therefore, I have to bring mine to a car wash. However, I do not bring it to just any car wash. I carefully remove stubborn stains by hand and then drive it through the totally brushless (read: high pressure water jet) type car wash. I really don't have any choice. If I owned a house, that would be a different story. I'd keep her (sorry, it) stored in a garage and wash her (sorry, it) whenever it was necessary and practical. Oh heck, I'll say it, she's a her and I'm okay with that!
THAT STINKS THAT YOU DONT HAVE ACCESS TO A HOSE , START DRILLIN FOR THAT WATER, LOL
Old 5/29/05, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Never, strictly driveway washing.
Old 5/29/05, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have little trust in automatic car washes and would only use one under special circumstances. Even still if they're not touchless washes then it ain't happening!!!
Old 5/29/05, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have and will again... never a problem...
Old 5/29/05, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use the touchless auto in town about every three days. No problems so far.
Old 5/29/05, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

The place I take my car is a Hand Car Wash...customer drives the car in the bay where the employees wash the car, then it's moved to the drying area by one of the employees that's allowed to drive customer cars.
The owner or manager is ALWAYS watching the workers as they wash, drive and dry the customer cars.
The hand wash I use charges $12 for a wash ($14 with tire dressing) while the automatic car wash charges that amount for a regular wash, $20 for a hand wash.
I've been taking my car to the Hand Wash since the car's first wash and have been happy with the quality of their work.
Old 5/29/05, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ill take it to the automatic touchless washes whenever its dirty and i know i wont have time to wash it myself. Its pretty good cause i just use Speedpass points, and I have yet to pay for one.
Old 5/29/05, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

Only the jet wash kind, works well after i waxed mine!
Old 5/29/05, 08:52 PM
FR500 Member

I voted for sometimes. If I do though, it's if I'm in a rush, or maybe out of town... and if I do it's always brushless/touchless.
Old 5/29/05, 09:11 PM

When i get mine i will be washing it in the driveway
Old 5/29/05, 09:17 PM
Cobra R Member

CelticCub

I had that situation until last year. I bought the hose and all the stuff, but I also bought a water jack key, the kind with four different keys. Pull up to an office building on a Sunday. Open the water spigot. Wash car.

No one ever busted me. They all thought I must be the owner of the building or something.
Old 5/29/05, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 38special@May 29, 2005, 10:20 PM
CelticCub

I had that situation until last year. I bought the hose and all the stuff, but I also bought a water jack key, the kind with four different keys. Pull up to an office building on a Sunday. Open the water spigot. Wash car.

No one ever busted me. They all thought I must be the owner of the building or something.
:nono:

I take my car to my parents. I keep my Mom's car clean in return. Not one of my cars has seen an automatic car wash in 9 years! Well, my first car went through a spray wash a couple times at the dealer I used to work at . . . but I was running it, it wasn't all that automatic.

Mr. Clean does rock! Only problem, it's hard to keep soap or water on the car with that darn Zaino on it.

Quick Reply: 2005+ Mustang through automatic car wash?