General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Would this be possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/13 | 01:24 PM

Would this be possible?

This is a question about something i read and i was wondering if it was possible to do it to my mustang.

I read in an article that VW modified an engine to have a supercharger and a turbocharger at the same time. At low RPM the supercharger would be on and just allow the turbo to spool up but when the RPMs got high enough the supercharger would shut off and the turbo would take over.

If i made all the required modifications to my engine to hold all that power, could this be possible?

I have an 03 Mustang GT, just about stock, and dont plan or making any modifications anytime soon, just thinking about my possibilities.

If not possible, which is better, Supercharger or Turbocharger?
Old 11/14/13 | 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Not sure if it can be done on your engine but they used to do it on diesel engines. I worked on charter buses for a couple of years and they still had a couple of those really old ****ty buses and they had a turbo feeding into a supercharger. I'm not sure you really gain much from it, I think I remeber reading about it on a car as well. 2V 4.6l engines seem to do really well with kenne bell superchargers from what I've seen plus they are bad***.
Old 11/15/13 | 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Compound charging isn't seen much I saw a WRX that had it back in 05 but wasn't much faster than a regular STi for all that money they put into it...
Old 11/15/13 | 11:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Not sure if it can be done on your engine but they used to do it on diesel engines. I worked on charter buses for a couple of years and they still had a couple of those really old ****ty buses and they had a turbo feeding into a supercharger.
The engines that you are talking about are Detroit Diesels, these engines are a 2 cycle diesel engine that will not run without the supercharger to feed the air. The Turbo on those added 32 HP to a 568 CI Diesel engine.
To the OP, would it not be easier to change out pulleys on the Super charger to get more air? The 2 turbo setup on the 6.7 in the Super Duty does what you are talking about, it just uses a low RPM turbo to give the second one more time to spool up.
Old 11/16/13 | 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
The engines that you are talking about are Detroit Diesels, these engines are a 2 cycle diesel engine that will not run without the supercharger to feed the air. The Turbo on those added 32 HP to a 568 CI Diesel engine.
To the OP, would it not be easier to change out pulleys on the Super charger to get more air? The 2 turbo setup on the 6.7 in the Super Duty does what you are talking about, it just uses a low RPM turbo to give the second one more time to spool up.
I know they were detroit diesels I just didn't say specifically because I figured not a lot of people would know
Old 11/16/13 | 03:20 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

supercharger is best.

I seen a supercharged/turbo'ed Ford GT.