General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Winter Driving with Summer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/13, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Driving with Summer Tires

Before every single one of you yells at me... hear me out.

I live in good ol Savannah, GA where winter basically consists of 60-70 degrees. However, I am orgiinally from Ohio and will be driving MidKnight (2014 Black GT) home. So my question is... Can I get by with my tires as is for approx 2 weeks in Ohio if it snows? Or do I have to spend a grand to get them changed? Thoughts...

Go.

PS I love you... and the new 2015 Mustang... don't hate.
Old 12/7/13, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
I would say you should be fine as long as it does not snow or rain on you, I ran mine last year right up until we had freezing fog and they acted like hockey pucks. I do park in a heated garage and it is normally above 50 degrees on my way home.
Old 12/7/13, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I would say you should be fine as long as it does not snow or rain on you, I ran mine last year right up until we had freezing fog and they acted like hockey pucks. I do park in a heated garage and it is normally above 50 degrees on my way home.
Thanks for the reply. How bad are they in Rain/Snow? Like if I don't drive like an ******* I should be fine or even slow moderate driving would be dangerous?
Old 12/7/13, 10:35 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
move to AZ. then you do not have to worry about such things
Old 12/7/13, 10:49 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Depends? I'd say no based on my experience with my middle of the road NT555's.

Anything more than a light dusting and they are hard to handle. In a freak for SeVa snow storm with about an inch or two on the ground I had a few moments were the car was a real handful.

On one particular instance driving home the car suddenly darted into the left lane as the snow on the road had covered a slushy spot. In a second instance the car twisted sideways and I had to steer the car with the throttle and the wheel turned full opposite lock (rest of he drivers probably thought I was a douchebag show-off)

That said on hard packed snow in dryer conditions it was much less of a handful.

If you can get a good set of all-seasons before you make the trip, I really recommend it. Michelin's A/S 3 tire seems to be a really good choice in this area as they are claiming it was able to out-handle Conti's summer tire on a slalom.
Old 12/7/13, 11:06 AM

Interesting, thanks guys.
Old 12/8/13, 07:57 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Not the Mustang but I had the Goodyear GS-D3 summer tires on my Trans Am for the past 6 years. We get light snow on occasion here in the mountains of western NC plus some very cold temps. If it was my only car it would have been a big mistake. I did get caught once and couldn't get back home up a somewhat steep grade. I just barely made it into a neighbor's driveway. The Goodyears were rock solid hard just like a hockey puck as Siber Express stated above. Hard to imagine but the manufacturers aren't kidding when they say, "not for use in freezing temps or snow". I just bought some BFG G-Force Super Sport All-season tires this past week for the Trans Am, and although I don't plan on being caught out in snow again, you never know.
In your case in Savannah I wouldn't worry about it, but driving to Ohio in the cold?? Man, that's definitely a risk! My wife and I were going to go to Ottawa two winters ago for their Winterlude festival. We were going to go with a new set of all-season tires in a different car and called the Canada AAA to get their opinion. They strongly stated that the A/S tires would NOT be sufficient if it snowed. Imagine if I asked them about summer tires? They would have hung up on us.
Old 12/8/13, 10:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by ugoman04
Thanks for the reply. How bad are they in Rain/Snow? Like if I don't drive like an ******* I should be fine or even slow moderate driving would be dangerous?
Like I said, I park in a Heated so the tires as long as they did not get wet they stayed warm. After they got wet it was a little sketchy under throttle and don't turn real fast. Dry in the cold was not to awful bad, the tires do warm up, but we are talking maybe down to freezing before I took them off.
Old 12/8/13, 11:29 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
move to AZ. then you do not have to worry about such things
Says the man that moved from Flagstaff.
Old 12/8/13, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Goodyear F1 OE summer tires and notice a distinct difference in traction when the temp drops to 45 or less, if you pay attention and don't push the throttle too hard you should be ok.
Old 12/8/13, 12:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I have the Goodyear F1 OE summer tires and notice a distinct difference in traction when the temp drops to 45 or less, if you pay attention and don't push the throttle too hard you should be ok.
I have Goodyear supercar F1 summer tires. Temp dropped to 32 one night and I rode on a prayer. They suck in cold weather. Changed them over the next day for fear of life.
Old 12/9/13, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got the Pirelli all seasons that come on the 18s. We got about 2 inches last night and I did just fine. Easy on the throttle, be smart.
Old 12/9/13, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I saw a kid in a GT today spinning his wheels and fish tailing on the snow and going about 15...but he just kept giving it more gas as if that would help.
Old 12/9/13, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ugoman04
...Or do I have to spend a grand to get them changed? Thoughts...
Or you could take a rental car for a couple weeks and not risk wrecking your Mustang at all (and not get it covered in salt).

If you're only going for a couple weeks, you could probably get a car for a bit more than a couple hundred bucks.
Old 12/10/13, 06:51 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Black&Blue
Or you could take a rental car for a couple weeks and not risk wrecking your Mustang at all (and not get it covered in salt).

If you're only going for a couple weeks, you could probably get a car for a bit more than a couple hundred bucks.
That's the best idea yet. Leave the Mustang home.