General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why Mustang fans Hate Corvettes, and vice versa

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/04, 10:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, i think i finally got it

Why Stangs Hate Vettes

Chevrolet released the corvette 12 years earlier than the Mustang, during that time it was without a shadow of a doubt, the top dog in the Automotive industry, and, since the Mustang came out, it has always shot to surpass the Corvette, but, no matter what, has come just SHORT of doing so with the SVT Mustang Cobra

an example

2004 Mustang Cobra
390 hp

2004 Corvette Z06
405 HP

Now, Why Corvettes Hate Stangs

As stated, the Corvette has always been top dog in america, the Mustang has threatened it, but always fallen short in the Horsepower area, the only car that bumped the Corvette off its high horse for a while was the Dodge Viper, and, in the year 2000, the Cobra R Debuted and has been deamed, although technically it isnt, the Best Mustang of all time by some enthusiasts (We gave that title to the '69 Boss 429)
So, the way i see it, the Corvette owners/enthusiasts love the fact that Ford's only real competition at the Moment for the Corvette has never been able to ****** the title away from it, in other words, its a matter of simple arrogence with some

make what you will of this topic
Old 5/8/04, 11:01 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't think Corvette was that popular and good during the 1950s, Thunderbird during the 1950s was a lot better and popular car than Corvette.
Old 5/9/04, 12:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Corvette was going to be cancelled shortly after it's first generation simply because of low sales. That model struggled horrible sales compared to the Thunderbird. The now infamous 2nd generation Corvette essentially saved the nameplate from death. It was canceled after the first generation as far as GM is concerned but a few loyalists saw the potential they knew the car was capable of. They built a hidden design studio inside a building somewhere, I don't remember if GM even owned the building, and created the 2nd gen car out of spare parts right under Gm's nose.

The funny thing is the Corvette has faced being canceled three times!

1. After bad first generation sales.

2. Gas Crisis and the remodeling needed for the C3 to pass new government regulation crash tests.

3. The C5 was designed and inked sometime in 1989! GM's financial problems in the early 90s kept pushing the car back until it was eventually released in 1997! Gm management needed to save money and wanted the C4 to be the last Vette. They didn't want to fund the C5 project all the way through to production and saw it's elimination as a budget cut. I suggest reading the book "All Corvettes are Red" to see how a few people pushed for the C5. BTW; the Development team ran out of money before the C5 could be completed and the interior was the only thing they had not finished ... draw your own conclusions. The Camaro also suffered the same cut backs of the Vette I believe.

BTW; I Love Mustangs but the current Z06 offers more than just HP.
Old 5/11/04, 08:33 AM

You did well with the arguments and counter-arguments
Old 5/11/04, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't see why this arguement is relevant at all. The Mustang and the Corvette are in two entirely different classes in both price and type of car. If this where why Camaro and Mustang owners hated eachother, it would hold more ground, but it's not. The only thing the Mustang and the Corvette truely have in common is the fact that they're both their respect brands flagship.
Old 5/11/04, 07:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I'd love to have a Z06 in my stable A guy in our mustang club has 3 mustangs, a WRX (winter beater), and a Z06. It depends on the owner and their personality. Some people are very defensive about makes. Me personally, I just love anything with wheels.
Old 5/11/04, 08:37 PM
I Have Admin Envy

the Z06 is the best supercar bang for the buck in the world.

I think 'vette's are great cars, but most owners seen to be attention-starved and tend to have a "I have a vette, you don't" attitude. I am not into that... but if I could afford a ZO6, I would buy it
Old 5/11/04, 11:11 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

The Z06 is a great car. I'd love to own one.

I think they are comparible for the most part. The major exceptions IMO are that the mustang has four seats and the vette has two and that the vette costs a good chunk more.

Other than that, there isn't any reasons why the Cobra and the Z06 shouldn't be compared.
I think the gap will begin to close with this next generation if Ford delivers on its promises.
Old 5/12/04, 12:51 AM
Bullitt Member

especially since the Cobra has 500 hp and that isnt the Cobra R
Old 5/12/04, 05:57 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Originally posted by Dan@May. 12th, 2004, 12:14 AM
I think the gap will begin to close with this next generation if Ford delivers on its promises.
I believe that the next cobra should come close to a Z06 in terms of style and performance... but at the same time, the Z06 will definitely have advatages as it is a purpose-built sportscar, and it will likley have a good weight advantage.

If they want to build a high-dollar cobra to go after the 'vette, fine by me, as long as the GT stays affordable... I would never want the Mustang to turn into a rich boy's toy.
Old 5/12/04, 07:32 AM

I like corvettes, have had one for years. Now mine isnt a Z06 its a weak 82 that im putting a vortec motor in, but is a blast to drive. They handle/react differently than any mustang ive ever driven. The cars fun to drive. But i like stangs too. The stang feels more like a purpose built car to me than any of the vettes ive driven. The experience is totally different and i like em both.
Old 5/12/04, 08:31 PM

I have to agree with decipher. This is stil a good post though.