General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

When you think about it - we're a lucky bunch....

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/13, 11:22 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you think about it - we're a lucky bunch....

I am in my 40's (43 next month) - my mom and dad always talked about the cool cars they drove when they turned 16 (in the 60's)... my dad was crazy, my mom took her girlfriends out and did quarter mile races with friends.... I on the other hand got a Mazda truck at 16 (1986) and was happy for having a car, I then got married, had very sensible cars, then divorced, had another truck (toyota this time), all the cars I ever owned were 4 bangers........ but my problem all along is this.

My dad owned a 5.0 fox back in the 80's (probably bought it 82-84, can't remember exactly now). it was an amazing car, I don't remember the acceleration, the sound, nothing... I just knew my dad owned a MUSTANG... and from then I was sold. I dreamed of owning a mustang all my life.

Now I do. Many of you are more fortunate than I, you've owned some great muscle cars in your life, and many have owned at least one mustang.

I on the other hand had to go out to my garage and just "look" at my car, love everything about it, can't wait to drive it, dream about what I can do to mod it like you guys all talk about (and have to a small extent), but to be honest, I still - to this day - believe that I finally got the car of my dreams. A dream that has lasted over decades (well, to be honest probably 30 years now). I love that it's Gotta Have It Green. I love my new boss 302 quad exhaust sound, I drive in the cold with the heater up and the window down just to hear it....

it's a dream come true. and I'm glad I can share it with fellow enthusiasts like you guys.

I know there are other who feel like this, and I'm glad to share this with others who feel the same, thanks for reading

Just wanted to share a little mustang love tonight.

It's my grandfathers birthday this sunday, he was born in Cork, Ireland in 1906, and because of him I'm here today, he's passed now, but I feel the green mustang (and my first St. Patrick's Day with it), are a tribute to him in a way, maybe I see too much into things. So, to all those Irish among us (and those who celebrate anyhow), I cheer you with Jameson s and Guinness.

Long Live the MUSTANG!!!!

Last edited by Xar; 3/15/13 at 11:23 PM.
Old 3/15/13, 11:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Xar
I am in my 40's (43 next month) - my mom and dad always talked about the cool cars they drove when they turned 16 (in the 60's)... my dad was crazy, my mom took her girlfriends out and did quarter mile races with friends.... I on the other hand got a Mazda truck at 16 (1986) and was happy for having a car, I then got married, had very sensible cars, then divorced, had another truck (toyota this time), all the cars I ever owned were 4 bangers........ but my problem all along is this.

My dad owned a 5.0 fox back in the 80's (probably bought it 82-84, can't remember exactly now). it was an amazing car, I don't remember the acceleration, the sound, nothing... I just knew my dad owned a MUSTANG... and from then I was sold. I dreamed of owning a mustang all my life.

Now I do. Many of you are more fortunate than I, you've owned some great muscle cars in your life, and many have owned at least one mustang.

I on the other hand had to go out to my garage and just "look" at my car, love everything about it, can't wait to drive it, dream about what I can do to mod it like you guys all talk about (and have to a small extent), but to be honest, I still - to this day - believe that I finally got the car of my dreams. A dream that has lasted over decades (well, to be honest probably 30 years now). I love that it's Gotta Have It Green. I love my new boss 302 quad exhaust sound, I drive in the cold with the heater up and the window down just to hear it....

it's a dream come true. and I'm glad I can share it with fellow enthusiasts like you guys.

I know there are other who feel like this, and I'm glad to share this with others who feel the same, thanks for reading

Just wanted to share a little mustang love tonight.

It's my grandfathers birthday this sunday, he was born in Cork, Ireland in 1906, and because of him I'm here today, he's passed now, but I feel the green mustang (and my first St. Patrick's Day with it), are a tribute to him in a way, maybe I see too much into things. So, to all those Irish among us (and those who celebrate anyhow), I cheer you with Jameson s and Guinness.

Long Live the MUSTANG!!!!
Awesome story. Thank you for sharing.
Old 3/16/13, 12:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for the story, Chris. I'm a bit older than you. When I turned 16 in the 50s I got my first car - a '49 Ford sedan with a flat-head V8. I've never owned a muscle car before. I was more into sports cars.

Cork Ireland was also interesting. Our older son got his PhD in Chemical Physics and did a two year post doctoral gig in Cork. We visited him there and traveled around parts of Ireland with him. I recall that when we were driving from Dublin down to Cork the traffic coming the other way was bumper to bumper and crawling for miles and miles. We later learned that they were on their way to the Hurling championship match. The hysterical thing (to us) was that the match was a draw and they were going to have to do it over again.

I am so impressed with what Ford has done over the last several years and I too go out into my garage and gawk at my Mustang. And they did it without sticking their hands into my pocket and yours for a bailout. Go Ford!!!
Old 3/16/13, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tukatz
Thanks for the story, Chris. I'm a bit older than you. When I turned 16 in the 50s I got my first car - a '49 Ford sedan with a flat-head V8. I've never owned a muscle car before. I was more into sports cars.

Cork Ireland was also interesting. Our older son got his PhD in Chemical Physics and did a two year post doctoral gig in Cork. We visited him there and traveled around parts of Ireland with him. I recall that when we were driving from Dublin down to Cork the traffic coming the other way was bumper to bumper and crawling for miles and miles. We later learned that they were on their way to the Hurling championship match. The hysterical thing (to us) was that the match was a draw and they were going to have to do it over again.

I am so impressed with what Ford has done over the last several years and I too go out into my garage and gawk at my Mustang. And they did it without sticking their hands into my pocket and yours for a bailout. Go Ford!!!
You're older than my mother, Tom lol
Old 3/16/13, 12:35 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Great story

I'll be honest though, the cars from the 50s and 60s were much cooler than what we have now. Much better designs, and freedom to do a lot of different stuff. When it gets down to it, small economy cars and large cars all look similar, trucks look similar, even the muscle cars look similar. You could look at a shadowed profile of a car back then and knew what it was.
Old 3/16/13, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Yep, and last year I autocrossed my Honda S2000 and this year I plan to autocross my Mustang. Does your mother do that?
Old 3/16/13, 12:51 AM
Banned

Yep, and last year I autocrossed my Honda S2000 and this year I plan to autocross my Mustang. Does your mother do that?
What's autocrossing? She has better things to do. whatever it is

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 3/16/13 at 12:54 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 01:42 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Great story

I'll be honest though, the cars from the 50s and 60s were much cooler than what we have now. Much better designs, and freedom to do a lot of different stuff. When it gets down to it, small economy cars and large cars all look similar, trucks look similar, even the muscle cars look similar. You could look at a shadowed profile of a car back then and knew what it was.
I'll agree with you about design, cars from the 50's and 60's are amazing, back then life was more simple and (dare I say) easier.... now a days you have to have an edge, and honestly chevy has bumblebee... that is what sold a bunch of cars. Ford didn't get a bailout and they've done amazing work and I'm actually proud to own a ford (although folks at work say ford stands for Found On Road Dead).... My mustang is just as good as my wife's nissan rogue in reliability, but I have it beat on power, and excitement.

American muscle has always been a passion of mine, my first drive in a "real" muscle car was a completely bored out and tweeked z28. I'll never forget seeing that gas needle drop like it did. Guess what? My stock 5.0 is probably almost as fast, and doesn't drop the needle half as much. Do I want an old school car, HELL YEAH, but that'll come.... for now I'm very VERY happy with my lil stang....

I appreciate all the nice things you all have said, especially tukatz - I've been to ireland once when I was little. I hope to go again with my family this summer. Ireland is beautiful and full of culture, and my wife knows, I'd love to retire there, of course I'll import a Mustang :P I've researched it and I can get citizenship based upon my grandfathers citizenship.... maybe one day.

Last edited by Xar; 3/16/13 at 01:44 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 01:48 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
he's older than both my parents - but I'll cut you a break since your new avatar is one of my favorite giants - I have 3 giants tributes on my car, back license plate - 2010 champs - front license plate 2012 champs - shift ball is a SF giants black shift ball (except around now, when it's a Guinness shift ball).

I saw the giants in the world series in 89, 02 and 10, had to watch 'em on tv last year, but I'll be heading down the SF to watch a few games this year (and another championship :P)

Last edited by Xar; 3/16/13 at 01:52 AM.
Old 3/16/13, 07:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome story, I also ride in the cold with the windows down and the heat on hahahahha that was funny to see another enthusiast admit to it
Old 3/16/13, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got you beat...

When I bought my third Mustang, 83 triple black convertible, I'd drive around in snowstorms with the top down! It was great. Just like an old fashion sleigh ride.

I remember that all my friends thought I was nuts, until they went for a ride in the snow in the country with the top down. There's really nothing like it! Thankfully, Fords have great heaters.
Old 3/16/13, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved my first new car, a 1970 Plymouth RoadRunner, and had lots of experience with various performance cars back then, but I can tell you that none of them could hold a candle to what we have available right now. Handling stunk, safety features were almost non-existant, gas mileage was absolutely attrocious (but at $.35 per gallon, who cared), and you could almost see the pollution as it poured from the tailpipe. The kicker is that performance was not even on the same plane as what we get now. You can go tohttp://www.automobile-catalog.com/ and compare the specs. You might be surprised.
Old 3/16/13, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

No snow, but it was 18 degrees when I set out on a drive to visit a friend who had broken both legs and one arm when he fell off a ladder and was in a rehab facility.

Old 3/18/13, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great story! I've been to County Cork, Ireland. Pulled in for a port visit on USS Monterey back in 1991. Great port, & very friendly people. They wouldn't allow me to buy my own drink for the whole 3 days we were there!

Last edited by mcate; 3/18/13 at 06:45 AM.
Old 3/18/13, 09:37 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

No snow, but it was 18 degrees when I set out on a drive to visit a friend who had broken both legs and one arm when he fell off a ladder and was in a rehab facility.

Yikes! You look prepared though :P

Originally Posted by mcate
Great story! I've been to County Cork, Ireland. Pulled in for a port visit on USS Monterey back in 1991. Great port, & very friendly people. They wouldn't allow me to buy my own drink for the whole 3 days we were there!
That is a great story - I can't wait to go back with my 6 year old - my wife is Turkish so we go to Turkey every year but we haven't gone to Ireland... I might end up going to the UK for work this June, if so I'll spend a weekend in Ireland and have my wife and son meet me there.
Old 3/18/13, 11:21 AM
Cobra Member

Chris,
You might be interested in reading about some of our travel in Ireland. We do photo journals on our web site for major trips. This first one was a visit we made to our son in 2003 when he was in Cork.
http://www.tukatz.com/html/travel/eu...3_ireland.html
This next one is when we returned to visit him in 2005.
http://www.tukatz.com/html/travel/eu...5_ireland.html
Old 3/18/13, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm going to draw the wrath of many a forum member here but........

MUSCLE CARS ARE EXTREMELY OVERRATED!

I've owned my fair share. 1970 Mercury Cougar (The first car with sequential turn signals). 1972 Olds 442. 1973 Cutlass S. 1975 Hurst Olds W30 (I liked Olds). 1972 Pontiac Lemans.

They were unreliable and slow. Even my 442 which had the 455cid HO engine only managed a pathetic mid 15 second 1/4 mile. The Cougar, with it's 351 Cleveland and factory dual exhaust would be beaten by a current V6 Mustang. It was an extremely rare Muscle Car that could break into the 13s without heavy modification.

And as for reliability..... what a joke. These cars were junk by the time you put 100,000 miles on them. Generally speaking you would be lucky to get 70k miles out of an automatic transmission before it had to be rebuilt, and things like water pumps, alternators, etc... often failed by 50k miles. These were the cars that made the "do it yourself mechanic" famous, usually because you had to stick your head under the hood and replace something at least once a month to keep it running.

Fix Or Repair Daily wasn't just a joke, it was **** near the truth.

I have a lot of fond memories of the old muscle cars, and the sight of a well restored one still causes my head to snap around, but truth be told, what we're driving today is better in every single way.

And for old time sake.... Cars I've owned (In correct colors)

Last edited by Moustang; 3/18/13 at 08:22 PM.
Old 3/18/13, 08:43 PM
Cobra Member

Couldn't help noticing that only one of them was a FoMoCo product. The others were all made by Government Motors.
Old 3/18/13, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
One of the main reasons I'm such a good mechanic is because I've owned 70s & 80s Mustangs.
Old 3/19/13, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Couldn't help noticing that only one of them was a FoMoCo product. The others were all made by Government Motors.
Two reasons for that.

1. Ford didn't have much in the way of a proper muscle car. It was either a Mustang or a Cougar. There was the Torino, but meh. I never liked them.

2. My Cougar was the least reliable of the bunch. It turned me off Ford products for many years.

I also never really cared for the gear shifter sticking out of the carpet look. GM had proper center consoles and arm rest while Ford just had carpet with a gear shifter sticking through it. GM just had the better looking interior IMO.

Quick Reply: When you think about it - we're a lucky bunch....