General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

What should I do with a brand new mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/12 | 12:43 AM

What should I do with a brand new mustang?

Hey guys,

ordered a new 2013 base V6 automatic and was wondering what I should do to take care of it from the beginning? I read that I definitely should get the oil changed after the first 1000 miles, but what about after the first 20 too? (metal flakes from new factory parts?) also, I heard scotchguard is amazing for the seats/carpets. so what do I need to do?
Old 6/4/12 | 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Check out the car care section of TMS - you will find most if not all answers to your questions.

As to your original question: "What should I do with a brand new mustang?"

The correct answer is:
(1) prepare your Mustang for long-term storage
(2) store it in a secure climate controlled storage facility
(3) perform bi-yearly inspections and service
(4) remove said vehicle from climate controlled storage after forty years have passed
(5) have a professional detail for said Mustang
(6) sell said Mustang for a poop-load
(7) buy a condo and retire to Florida after selling said Mustang
(8) buy a new Mustang with your retirement
Old 6/4/12 | 12:28 PM

HAHAHA that's hilarious
Old 6/4/12 | 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kinyodas
Check out the car care section of TMS - you will find most if not all answers to your questions.

As to your original question: "What should I do with a brand new mustang?"

The correct answer is:
(1) prepare your Mustang for long-term storage
(2) store it in a secure climate controlled storage facility
(3) perform bi-yearly inspections and service
(4) remove said vehicle from climate controlled storage after forty years have passed
(5) have a professional detail for said Mustang
(6) sell said Mustang for a poop-load
(7) buy a condo and retire to Florida after selling said Mustang
(8) buy a new Mustang with your retirement
So very very tempting. However, I'm sticking to Plan B: Drive It... now where did I leave that map? ... Ah, who cares.
Old 6/4/12 | 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by yuhn13
Hey guys,

ordered a new 2013 base V6 automatic and was wondering what I should do to take care of it from the beginning? I read that I definitely should get the oil changed after the first 1000 miles, but what about after the first 20 too? (metal flakes from new factory parts?) also, I heard scotchguard is amazing for the seats/carpets. so what do I need to do?
Use common sense.
Old 6/4/12 | 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats on the new Mustang!

A few pointers:

1. When the car is delivered to the dealership, ask to see the car prior to the dealership removing the protective plastic from the paintwork and interior. Check the vehicle for transit damage, such as dents from chains being dropped on it, chips in the paint from being on the car carrier, scratches, etc.

2. This is very important.... DO NOT LET THE DEALER WASH THE CAR! You do not want the DISO (dealer induced swirl option) You are better off washing it yourself, there are automotive detailing websites with tips on how to properly wash your car, such as www.autopia.org www.autogeek.com www.Meguiars.com www.detailedimage.com etc.

3. This is also important: may dealerships offer you "paint sealant services" and "fabric protection". They have fine print in the contract to maintain the warranties on paint and fabric protection, and it cost an arm, a leg and your first born. For the same amount of money, you can purchase some excellent detailing products, a random orbit polisher and a few cans of scotchguard and do it yourself!

4. DO NOT PAY ANY FEES LIKE DEALER PREP, LOT CHARGES, ETC. Dealer prep fees are paid for by the manufacturer and are part of the holdback that the dealership gets from manufacturer. Lot charges? They want to you to pay for them hosing down or pressure washing the car while it sits in the lot... total ripoff.

5. Once you have done the previous four tips...Enjoy your new Mustang!

Last edited by DaGonz; 6/4/12 at 03:47 PM.
Old 6/5/12 | 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Tune it after your first oil change . Steeda or Bama
Old 6/5/12 | 10:57 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

The new mustangs will never be collectable or increase in value. Modern cars are throw away. Get it polished and waxed and the drive it how you always wanted to drive a mustang.
Old 6/5/12 | 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
The new mustangs will never be collectable or increase in value. Modern cars are throw away. Get it polished and waxed and the drive it how you always wanted to drive a mustang.
In the 60's and early 70's the same thoughts of "the car will never being collectable" were probably uttered...

When I watch the car shows on Velocity and Speed.. some of those "non collectable Mustangs from that era are fetching high 5 and 6 figure prices at auction.
Old 6/5/12 | 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I think 5.0 Bosses with no miles will be collectible in 30 years but if I had one i'd drive it every day like my GT. Early 90s 5.0 with no miles all original are bringing their original sticker so who knows. But why buy a car and sell it for the same thing 20 years later?