General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

What does the future hold for you and your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/09, 09:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
What does the future hold for you and your Mustang?

I'm a sentimental kind of guy. Some might say it comes from being a Pisces which I've never given much thought to, or it might just be because I like to consider myself a deep thinker.

So I've been thinking about the future lately. More specifically the future of my first Mustang, I call her 7. She's been so good to me, words cannot begin to describe the fun we've had. Never an issue, always up for the ride. And she's gotten more compliments than Jeri Ryan at a Trekkie convention. And now thanks to Microsoft, 7, isn't as cool a name as it was a few months ago. But for those that don't know I bought her on 7/7/07. And then of course I am a Seinfeld fan and it would have been the name of George's and Susan's first born.

But anyway, back to me and the car.

So what do you do with a car that has become a part of your life and your personality? I'm not psychotic or anything, but I've put blood, sweat, tears, and quite alot of money into this creation of mine. I love the car more and more every day. But I have come to wonder when will it be time to put things to an end. Never maybe. Or is it the day that I decide I wouldn't take it for a ride given the chance to? Or is it when I have to get rid of it because I'm short on cash? I don't know. I kind of wish I did know. I wish I could see into the future and watch the movie of me and my car from beginning to end. I'd like to know how things end up so I know whether I'm living an epic saga or a tragedy. Because if it's a tragedy, I'm not sure I could take it.

As many of you know I have a wonderful, gorgeous, and extremely hot wife and we've been married 17 years now, and know each other since we were 15. I have 5 fantastic kids, all girls, and all my angels. I love them more than life itself and would lay down mine in a heartbeat for any of them. I know what's important in life and what's not. But for some reason this car just seems to be more than just a car for me now. I've always loved cars since I can remember, but I was never a gear head till I bought this car. Thanks to 7 and the good members of TMS, I've become a do-it yourself car guy. I went from being able to change my own oil, to being able to slap a supercharger on a motor and change out a fuel pump in the tank! That's some **** right there.

So all sappiness aside, I just wonder sometimes what's gonna become of 7 and I. What does the future hold? And in the end, if it all ends miserably, I'm gonna know in my heart, that the juice was definitely worth the squeeze.

Old 10/27/09, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car means a lot to me. I have put a lot of sweat, blood and tears in to mine aswell haha.

It is safe to say it has grown on me because I wouldn't have done the v6 to v8 swap if it hadn't. That was one reason I couldn't get my self to sell it. Right now it would probably have to be a nice lump some of cash to sell it, but for the right amount sadly enough to say I would end up getting rid of it.

I started out learning to change oil too, but now look at me. I was stabbing in the dark doing a complete engine conversion that even some of the best car mechanics said was not a walk in the park. Now it goes from there. I like to do stuff on my own and learn as I go.

But, if I still have it when I get a house one day, it will be in the 3rd car garage under a car cover with all my memories of working on it.

Last edited by Lancer; 10/27/09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10/27/09, 10:29 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm pretty attached to my notch as well. I wouldn't sell her for anything. I'd only end up regretting it for the rest of my life. I've learned a lot too, putting countless hours into making her mine. Hopefully I'll be able to finally rip the 2.3 out someday when cash and time allow. I love my GT too, and I plan on buying it from my dad after I finish college, but I'm not nearly as attached to it as I am my notch.
Old 10/27/09, 10:31 PM
Post *****

I've got the '91 LX vert now, that I'm working on. But there is just something about this first Mustang. Maybe someday I can pass it on to a grandchild or something.
Old 10/27/09, 11:06 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
that would be cool

I plan on keeping mine for life. Even bone stock, and 5 years later, I look at a Mustang GT and think...**** I want one! Actually owning one will be even sweeter. There's a lot of mods and miles planned for my 07 Vista Blue (when she arrives), and I'm going to go through every single one with a smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart.
Old 10/28/09, 02:21 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
daily driver, donuts and a good trade in.
Old 10/28/09, 09:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Gary, I have something to say.

I had this problem. Muskrat (see below) was a dear dear car to me. I loved that little rascal. She wasn't powerful, or a convertible, but she was mine, and became more mine as time went on. I thought, at the time, there wasn't anything that was going to make me sell her or give her up willingly.

But... as time went on... I dunno what happened. I felt badly that I didn't driver her much. Shows, the occasional nice day. Never in the rain, unless it was to some show. A few outings here and there. But mainly, the poor thing sat. And I got scared of gettin' her hurt.

And then one thing led to another... and I sold her.

*To This Day* I regret it. I'll probably never ever get over what I did to myself and that car. So much time and effort, desire, fun times... gone.

One day, I may get another '66 coupe and redo it like I'd originally envisioned Muskrat to be. With a nice '95 type 5.0 and a 5 speed. Otherwise, pretty much like you see in my little article. That may help with making things right regarding myself, but Muskrat herself is gone. Never to be seen again, I don't know what happened to her, honestly. If I do another '66 coupe (has to be a '66, mind) it won't be called Muskrat or anything like it (Muskrat II, Return of Muskrat, etc... no way. Maybe Giddy. Yeah, that sounds pretty nifty... and works on two levels... but I sidetrack.)

Then Awesome came into my life. And me and my car are really good friends now. I'm slowly modding her, and I actually drive her all the time. I'll not be doing power mods, just cosmetic ones. Here and there, as I can. I just turned in some pieces for paint, and am giddy (see?) with excitement to get them put on the car. I also just bought some other goodies and am as giddy to get them on the car too. Funtimes are about to happen!

<.<
>.>

But first, Ride has to get the front wheel back on... and I don't have a garage, so that's Saturday. :| And I still have work to do on some of that stuff before it goes in, but I'm tellin you now... it is gonna be teh hawt and I'm uber pumped 'soon' (tm) is just around the bend...

Anyway, because of Muskrat, and what I did, I can say this: There'll be no selling of Awesome. I don't care how much you give me, I don't care the circumstances, she's my fambly. Awesome is *mine*, forever. This is my car, and will remain my car until I'm not around. I'll rebuild engines, trannys, repaint, reupholster, etc, ad nauseum. Because there is NO WAY I'll ever go through the regret I did with Muskrat. I waited a LONG time to get her. She has to stay with me a long time in return. Besides, her mods aren't finished just yet... slowly but surely, we're gettin' there though...

So, no I don't think you're crazy. It's just one of those things... some things, you just love to have. All the more better if your family is ok with it too.

What does your future hold? Only what time allows. Enjoy the ride. I bet it's gonna be grand!

/mine said "About time you got that."

Last edited by houtex; 10/28/09 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10/28/09, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont really have a mustang but, i could take a guess at the future of my dads mustang. its pretty much got appearnce mods, performance wise is just a drop in K&N air filter and flowmaster mufflers, and supposedly theres underdrive pulleys in the trunk that never got installed. as for the future, id say itd either get sold for an SHO or something, or my dad keeps it and gives it to me. if that were to happen i dont think id ever get rid of it.
Old 10/28/09, 09:42 PM
Post *****

I understand houtex. I get it.

I also am afraid to drive mine now. What if I get in a wreck? What if she might even get totalled? I can't park it anywhere. Too afraid. The kids absolutely love the car too and it has become part of the family. It's been personified in our household.

It is truly the sinister black Mustang I've always wanted ever since I wanted a blacked out 5.0 LX coupe back in the late 80's.
Old 10/28/09, 10:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a guy born in 77, I'm old enough to remeber the classic muscle cars, but got stuck growing up w/ the 80's econoboxes. All my life I wanted an old muscle car, but have never had the body and paint skills to restore one myself, and never had the money to buy one 'done'.

Then came 2005 when I was at the NACE convention where they had the 05 concept on display. With some internet searching I found this website called TheMustangSource where I started reading and seeing pics of the production version. Man, I just drooled and wished I could have one. Then I realized that it's "just" a Mustang and I could actually afford that, even though I envisioned it as a $50,000 car. So, I did more research here and ordered my dream car. Three years later of patiently planning mods and waiting for products to come to the market, I finally had my car EXACTLY they way I wanted it.

In 2006 my son Dominic was born.

So, what does the future hold for me? I look forward to the day when I can share* the car with him and he can then have the 'old muscle car' that I always wished I had.
*I type "share" because I don't know that I'll be able to ever fully part with it.

So now we have "Daddy's Mustang and My Mustang"

But don't worry, I'm getting him started on car care early.

Old 10/28/09, 10:12 PM
Post *****

Very nice John. I always get a kick out of seeing your son's Red Mustang with yours.

I too might share, though the performance mods are a little scary for them. I think I might let them drive it with me in it and then see how things progress when they get a little older. I've got the 5 kids and I wouldn't know how to split it 5 ways.

I bought the '91 vert with the intention of sharing it with my daughter while she's in high school, and then she can get her own ride when she's 18 or so. Problem is I'm having fun modding this car too and not sure if I can stand to let it get parked in a high school parking lot.

I'm thinking I might still let her use it, it's still 3 years away, and then that'll be a good reason for a paint job when I get it back.
Old 10/29/09, 09:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, if it makes you feel any better... when I was in high school, these are the cars I was allowed to drive and park there:

1978 Mustang II V6. That was my first. The Orange Bomb.
1966 Ford Thunderbird. Emberglo. My second car. Got Tboned, so for a while I drove:
1966 Ford Thunderbird, but Black, and was a show winner. Managed to run into someone while my '66 was bein' fixed, so...
1965 Mustang Covertible. Pre-GT GT with a 2 barrel 289 and a hella gear... **** thing was *quick*.
Then, amazingly enough, a 1957 Thunderbird. Thunderbird Bronze with a White Porthole top. (Dad wouldn't let me drive the Black one after I fixed it. Hadda fix it first before mine, but then...)
Finally back in the my Emberglo '66, after it'd been repaired and repainted.

And nary a scratch on them at the high school parking lots. 'course I parked where I could to keep it that way, but still, no problems.

Anyway, that's what insurance is for, right?

Last edited by houtex; 10/29/09 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10/29/09, 09:49 PM
Post *****

That didn't make me feel any better. You were in two wrecks.
Old 10/30/09, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

But none at the school! And I've been a real good boy since then, honest.

/The first one taught me, don't trust anyone. They might hit you.
//The second one taught me dont trust myself. I might hit you.
///Well, that, and it confirmed the black 66's brakes sucked compared to my Emberglo's.
Old 10/30/09, 09:41 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

This has been an unusual for me and the stroker. I never named her, nothings seemed to fit honestly. She turns 3 Sunday, and it frankly scares me! I'm fortunate that she's paid for but it blows my mind what I could spend given the chance/funds. This car was definitely a learning experience for me as well, it was my first mod motor. I hope I never have to sell this car, but if I had the answers to all my questions I would be a much wiser and richer man!

Cars are worse than Cocaine, because even if you give it up you still have the tease of driving a beater from point A to point B.
Old 10/30/09, 10:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What's wrong with The Stroker?
Old 10/31/09, 06:11 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by houtex
What's wrong with The Stroker?
Mainly the fact that the name came up in conversation one day with my family/girl friend and I was informed that sounded like a cheap hooker.
Old 10/31/09, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh, those poor people not in the know and with their minds in the gutter...

It sounds like a perfect name, but understandable...

/I mean, I can't say 'bestestes' without someone making lewd comments...
Old 10/31/09, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I regret selling my first two Mustangs, the first was a 1981 Cobra I bought when I was 18, and a year or two after I bought it, I swappped out the anemic 4.2L V8 engine for a 5.0. My second Mustang was a 1989 5.0 LX 5-spd, great all-around car. I bought it from the original owner in 1993 with 100k miles on it, drove it another 50k miles over the next three years, and sold it to a good friend for money for a down payment on a hous we ended up not buying.

I have no plans to sell my '01 Bullitt, I've had it for a little over three years, it has been long paid for, and still has relatively low miles and is in great condition, and I hope to one day pass it down to my son (he is six now). I'm not quite as attached to my '08 GT for several reasons, I really do like the car, but in all reality I'll probably keep it for another year or two and either trade it in on a 2011 or 2012 5.0 Mustang, or sell it and buy an '08 Bullitt. If I do end up keeping it, I'll probably eventually throw a roll cage in it and turn it into a track toy.
Old 11/1/09, 12:10 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by houtex
Oh, those poor people not in the know and with their minds in the gutter...

It sounds like a perfect name, but understandable...

/I mean, I can't say 'bestestes' without someone making lewd comments...
Hahah well my dad and mother both know what's going on, but my sisters on the other hand... Let's just say they prefer the other kind of horsepower.

Sure could used some leather Evo seats these days Closer and closer to just breaking down and ordering the '10 seat covers!

Quick Reply: What does the future hold for you and your Mustang?