General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

“We’ve got to place big bets” (BF, Jr.) OK, Then Launch An Electric Mustang . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/17, 05:35 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
“We’ve got to place big bets” (BF, Jr.) OK, Then Launch An Electric Mustang . . . . .

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/08/14...ybrid-mustang/

Of course. The internal combustion engine is inextricably linked to the car. The sound of a big-block Mustang as heard in this video, makes a muscle-car fan’s heart race. For me, it is similar to iconic engine sounds such as those from Harley-Davidson and Ducati motorcycles. The sound will certainly be missed by many, but not the damage those engines cause to our planet and the health of humans.

But in the end, an electric Mustang is either inevitable or the car will fade in to history. It is just a matter of “when?” If Ford started today on the design of an electric platform for the Mustang, the earliest they could probably bring it to market is 2021. By that point, the majority of all new vehicles (excluding pickups) being designed or in production will likely be either BEVs and PHEVs, with regular hybrids being phased out.
Old 8/15/17, 07:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Just kill me now
Old 8/15/17, 10:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Just kill me now
Old 8/15/17, 10:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
They'll likely be faster and more fun to drive.

Is sound really the only thing you want?

I love old school cars, and they'll likely be around for a while. Why hold back new tech so we can relish in the old school, when we can have both? It's not like we have to crush all the old school cars to go and drive a new electric one...
Old 8/16/17, 12:01 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I do not want what I do not want
Old 8/16/17, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I would love one. Absolutely. But I'll be keeping the GT that I have of course, I ain't that crazy.

The author misses the point however. Electric's great and all, but hybrid is the correct choice here. Range. Without that, the electric Mustang won't be good. I have to go quite a ways away from home to get to any good twistys when I wanna play. And some of the best are in the Hill Country, 5 hours away at best. Then I have to recharge the thing. So I'm stuck waiting before I can play.

A Hybrid avoids that, lets me go play any time, same convenience as a gas motor, and still have the savings in gasoline use. Kind of the point of it.

Plus.. freakin' torque for days.

Gimme. Nao.

/just hope they balance the handling right and it doesn't have the weight of a Challenger.

//Also, they have a working Hybrid setup, so it's not like they have to reinvent the entire wheel, just repackage it so it works in a Mustang chassis and doesn't make it (siphon with a large amount of negative pressure).

///You want sound? They make seriously loud, outdoor compatible speaker systems that can pipe the sounds of a massive V8 from under the car. Heck, they're doing it in the radios now, so not too far a step away...

////I like slashies.

/////I'm done, laters.

Last edited by houtex; 8/16/17 at 07:47 PM.