General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

vibration in steering wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/13, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration in steering wheel ?

anybody can HELP SOS..... so I took my stock 08 pony in for new tires, had been noticing a very slight intermittent vibration at higher speeds, my good years had 46 k on them, discount tire put me a new set of Yokohama yk580,s 235/65r16

so I get down the road and notice a lot of vibration in steering wheel at higher speeds so have been back to discount tire 3 times for re balance @ rotation the vibration got worse every time, so this last visit they are shaking my right front wheel and tell me "its a little loose" and indeed it was so took the car to Goodyear they discovered a loose inside tie rod on passengers side, they showed me was loose, but 465. bucks or the job seemed a little steep, so did the job myself and got a new alignment, everything is tight now, so get down the road and still have a vibration not as bad in steering wheel at 65 mph still darn it! so after reading some posts I will take the retaining clip off the hub don't know what else to do? but also noticed the wheel weight is mounted on inside of wheel maybe that's the problem?
Old 10/6/13, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=my daily driver;6696832]anybody can HELP SOS..... so I took my stock 08 pony in for new tires, had been noticing a very slight intermittent vibration at higher speeds, my good years had 46 k on them, discount tire put me a new set of Yokohama yk580,s 235/65r16

so I get down the road and notice a lot of vibration in steering wheel at higher speeds so have been back to discount tire 3 times for re balance @ rotation the vibration got worse every time, so this last visit they are shaking my right front wheel and tell me "its a little loose" and indeed it was so took the car to Goodyear they discovered a loose inside tie rod on passengers side, they showed me was loose, but 465 bucks for the job seemed a little steep, so did the job myself and got a new alignment, everything is tight now, so get down the road and still have a vibration not as bad in steering wheel at 65 mph still darn it! so after reading some posts I will take the retaining clip off the hub don't know what else to do? but also noticed the wheel weight is mounted on inside of wheel maybe that's the problem?

Last edited by my daily driver; 10/6/13 at 07:52 AM. Reason: delete second post
Old 10/7/13, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You mount sticky weights inside the rim so that's probably fine. Could be a bad tire its not impossible I've seen it before or their balancer is off and its not balancing correctly...warped rotors cause shaking in steering wheels but you usually only feel it when applying the brakes. Did they check the tires for a broken belt? Seems it would be the most logical...except I forgot you said they also rotated....hmmm. I would make them take the yokohamas back off and give you something else since you aren't satisfied with the tires they have to be causing the problem
Old 10/7/13, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm also amazed you got such good mileage out of goodyears. After my last set of goodyears I will not buy anymore and I worked at the dealership for awhile and lots of new cars had goodyear integritys on them. Every set of those wear the outside edges of the tread down on every tire before their mileage life. Cant believe goodyear would continue to sell such a shotty tire so I stay away in case they have more tires like that
Old 10/11/13, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I'm having the same now ,on my 2007 GT/CS ,with only 26500 miles ,my steering wheel is shaking at speeds over 40 mph , ? ,,I have 20 inch wheels and the tires are still like new ,could it be a wheel weight ,the stick on kind that came off ,,or wheel out of balance ,I don't drive the car much ,,so waiting on some good info to fixs it ,thanks for any replies ,,going to check the (tie rods ) to .