Search this Thread

Old 12/7/05, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girl to receive Coolest Mustang during Last Blast

Aug 17, 2005
By: Robert Morgan | Times Record News

Email this article | Printer friendly page

For most teenagers, a means of transportation is a social must. It really doesn't matter whether it's a broken down Volvo or a revved up Camero. The kids need the wheels.

Cherish Correll's transportation wish, however, is a tad more specific.

She wants a Pony - a 1965 Ford Mustang with jet black paint, hot pink trim and matching interior, to be specific. And her wish for "the coolest Mustang" will be granted Saturday at the 16th annual Summer's Last Blast in Vernon. The Make-A-Wish Foundation of North Texas made Correll's wish possible.

Correll will get the first glimpse of her "Pony" at 3 p.m. in the parking lot of Easy Rent, 2616 Wilbarger St. "I want to see it," she said. "They won't let me see it." The jet black and hot pink color scheme was chosen by the 18-year-old because it coincides with her favorite colors. From her head to her toes, it is a color preference that can't be denied.

Correll sat on her porch Thursday clad in a hot pink shirt with the words "I Want A Pony" printed across it. Her eyes were highlighted by hot pink eye shadow. Her fingernails shined with two shades of hot pink nail polish. Even her shoes - jet black with hot pink stripes - fell in line with the color coordination.

Teresa Hunter, her mother, said the footwear concealed Correll's hot pink toenails, which will bear the Ford Mustang emblem Saturday.

Sherri Sinclair, the wish's granter, is referring to Saturday as "the debut" because Correll has not seen the finished project. "That's what makes it exciting," Sinclair said. Her mother has already planned Correll's ensemble for the big "debut" - a hot pink skirt, hot pink sandals, a hot pink purse and a jet black shirt emblazoned with a hot pink Mustang.

The Make-A-Wish foundation doesn't grant wishes for automobiles, Sinclair said. And this case was no different, but the foundation did grant refurbishments to the classic car like the paint job, seat covers, new tires and wheels. Correll, who suffers from cystic fibrosis, contacted the foundation in March.

The wish was always to restore an older car and a Ford Mustang was an obvious choice because Correll "just likes old Mustangs." Sinclair said the support received from local businesses was very strong. It really wasn't too hard to find people willing to donate their work and supplies, she said.

A second part of the wish was to receive the car at the Vernon Cruise - a four-mile long drive boasting more than 400 vehicles this year. Not only is it ready in time, the jet black, hot pink Mustang will be hard for spectators to miss cruising along in the No. 3 position. When the car was registered for the cruise, Turner said she was asked, "Where do you want to be, because you will be wherever you want to be." Correll will follow behind the motorcycle of Chris Bellar, who died a few months ago of cystic fibrosis, Turner said.

This year's cruise is dedicated to Bellar, a charter member of the Vernon Street Machines and Classics Association, the organization that sponsors Summer's Last Blast. A family member will pull Bellar's bike on a trailer along the cruise route. "She'll be behind them," Turner said proudly.
Old 12/7/05, 11:50 AM
GT Member

What an awesome story,thanks for sharing!
Old 12/7/05, 11:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, agreed. Nice story. I searched for pictures of the car, but couldn't find 'em.
Old 12/7/05, 05:03 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Very cool! I know a racecar driver that has taken it upon himself to put "Make a Wish Foundation" on his Mustang (American Iron Series). They don't pay him . . he takes donations at the races.
Old 12/7/05, 05:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Very cool! Thats a great way to make someone's day.
Old 12/7/05, 05:58 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is one great organization
Old 12/7/05, 06:58 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's very touching story... a lot of athletes support them in the area
Old 12/8/05, 06:24 AM
Banned

I looked for pics too, but couldnt find anything, if anyone finds one, please post it.
Old 12/11/05, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice for them to do that for her. reminds me of boyd coddington's story - not to be off topic.