General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

a TRUE Bullitt Mustang...

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/13 | 12:50 AM

a TRUE Bullitt Mustang...

Hey Guys!

I loved watching the original Steve mcQueen movie "Bullitt". I did a litttle bit of research on that Mustang and from what I gathered it had a slightly modified 390 in it.

The 2001 release of the Bullitt Mustang was a great release as all Mustangs truly are, but as for me, I am a stickler to OEM and also as close to original as possible. That Mustang sported a 4.6L 281 V8. This is an impressive motor from the Mod family, but honestly, NO WHERE NEAR the original. Yes, I know technology has changed, gas prices has changed, yadda, yadda, yadda. BUT!.... wouldn't it have been great if this re-release of the Bullitt sported a 390ci, fuel injected V8?
I used to have a '92 GT and enjoyed it immensely, so much so that I bought it back from insurance. I learned ALOT about the FoxBody everyone knows and loves. Well, everyone except my wife. She hates that era, anything from the "80s" era. So, I think a "30th Anniversary Bullitt" would be great in a '97 GT. That being said brings me to the POINT of this post/thread....
I thought about an actual 390 from 1967 (car or truck) but a BBF is oftentimes pricey and then fuel injection system would cost more than the '97 you just picked up. Then I was thinking one could "punch" out a 351W to a 390 (actually 393?) but they kept talking about "stroking" it. I wouldn't want to stroke it. Then I looked at the 5.4L Triton. I didn't find a whole lot of info on this motor. Then I realized that Ford did make a 6.2L V8 that earlier posts stated that it won't fit between the towers. So...

If you were to do a specifications correct Bullitt, what would you do? Everything I do to the car is going to be a nudge to the original, or an accurate modern day version right down to, obviously, the wheels, the paint (Highland Green) and black leather with same pattern as the 60s Mustang and retro looking gauges. all that would be left, is a nice, stout fuel injected 390.

How could one achieve this impossibility?

Thanks for your time!
Old 8/11/13 | 05:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jp360ford
Hey Guys!

I loved watching the original Steve mcQueen movie "Bullitt". I did a litttle bit of research on that Mustang and from what I gathered it had a slightly modified 390 in it.

The 2001 release of the Bullitt Mustang was a great release as all Mustangs truly are, but as for me, I am a stickler to OEM and also as close to original as possible. That Mustang sported a 4.6L 281 V8. This is an impressive motor from the Mod family, but honestly, NO WHERE NEAR the original. Yes, I know technology has changed, gas prices has changed, yadda, yadda, yadda. BUT!.... wouldn't it have been great if this re-release of the Bullitt sported a 390ci, fuel injected V8?
I used to have a '92 GT and enjoyed it immensely, so much so that I bought it back from insurance. I learned ALOT about the FoxBody everyone knows and loves. Well, everyone except my wife. She hates that era, anything from the "80s" era. So, I think a "30th Anniversary Bullitt" would be great in a '97 GT. That being said brings me to the POINT of this post/thread....
I thought about an actual 390 from 1967 (car or truck) but a BBF is oftentimes pricey and then fuel injection system would cost more than the '97 you just picked up. Then I was thinking one could "punch" out a 351W to a 390 (actually 393?) but they kept talking about "stroking" it. I wouldn't want to stroke it. Then I looked at the 5.4L Triton. I didn't find a whole lot of info on this motor. Then I realized that Ford did make a 6.2L V8 that earlier posts stated that it won't fit between the towers. So...

If you were to do a specifications correct Bullitt, what would you do? Everything I do to the car is going to be a nudge to the original, or an accurate modern day version right down to, obviously, the wheels, the paint (Highland Green) and black leather with same pattern as the 60s Mustang and retro looking gauges. all that would be left, is a nice, stout fuel injected 390.

How could one achieve this impossibility?

Thanks for your time!
If a FE won't fit between the towers, you can stroke the 351 Windsor to something close to 390 cubic inches (close to "390"), and that will definitely fit the engine bay. To be honest, if an actual FE motor won't fit between the towers, that's your only real option to get close to the appropriate displacement number.

I was at a Cars&Coffee event yesterday, and there was a '67 390 GT 4-spd there. It was the correct '67 Forest green (I think the Bullitt was the darker Highland green). There was also a 2007 (?) Bullitt there.

I would put a stroked 351 in the car and not bother about fuel injection. Put a dual-quad intake on it along with a nasty cam, and call it a day. But then, I'm completely insane.

Last edited by jsimmons; 8/11/13 at 05:13 AM.
Old 8/11/13 | 12:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
If a FE won't fit between the towers, you can stroke the 351 Windsor to something close to 390 cubic inches (close to "390"), and that will definitely fit the engine bay. To be honest, if an actual FE motor won't fit between the towers, that's your only real option to get close to the appropriate displacement number.

I was at a Cars&Coffee event yesterday, and there was a '67 390 GT 4-spd there. It was the correct '67 Forest green (I think the Bullitt was the darker Highland green). There was also a 2007 (?) Bullitt there.

I would put a stroked 351 in the car and not bother about fuel injection. Put a dual-quad intake on it along with a nasty cam, and call it a day. But then, I'm completely insane.
The "easy" stroke job on the 351 results in 393 c.i. displacement. And that engine would outperform the crap out of the Ford Y block 390, imo. I'd just put a competent four barrel carb and good headers on it and call it a day. Should smoke tires all day long if that's what you want.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hp...view/make/ford

http://www.rpmmachine.com/ford-351w-396-stroker.shtml

Last edited by 67Drewstang; 8/11/13 at 12:35 PM.