General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Sturgis questions

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/15, 08:24 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sturgis questions

I have a couple questions for those who have attended the Mustang rally in Sturgis:
Is it an event a grey haired driver would enjoy or is it geared towards the younger crowd?
Registration is $100, do you need to register if all you want to do is come and admire the rides and not participate in the events?
Old 2/26/15, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Do the Mustang convertible drivers have a headlights parade?
Old 2/27/15, 06:51 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
I'm 60 and I would go if I lived close but Labor Day weekend is always full of other happenings too. These events, whether motorcycles or cars, are always fun to attend if you can put up with the occasional rowdiness. Depends on your own personality and what you can accept.
Drunks at these events are the worse risk to your car and safety. I see that alone as being the biggest negative. It can't be much worse than the Nascar events I have attended. The last one I went to in Darlington, I have no idea how these drunks got home when they would blow .20 minimum.

Last edited by NC14GT; 2/27/15 at 06:52 AM.
Old 2/27/15, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Usually from what I have seen there is a pretty big police presence. I would think you would enjoy yourself. I would also if you head for the hills around 9 pm you would miss most of the stupidness. Stay somewhere 20 or 30 miles out side of town for a nice peaceful evening. I have not attended but talk to people that have.
Old 3/3/15, 03:57 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wife and I went last year. We had a great time. Very large presence of grey hair(of which we were a part of). We did the cruise package, beautiful scenery out there. I didn't see a lot of Myrtle Beach type of activity(really none). Not saying there couldn't have been some, we just didn't see any. Pretty laid back experience and did I say we had a great time? We are tentatively planning on doing it again this year.
Old 3/3/15, 04:15 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd really like to check it out sometime. I've been to the black hills several times but never the mustang rally. It's a beautiful area.
Old 3/8/15, 11:51 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback - we are going!
So do we need to register? From what I can determine online the cruise package includes the show & shine, banquet and two cruises and would cost $135. My mostly stock '13 doesn't deserve to be next to the beauties some of you have put together, my guess is nothing on the banquet menu is on my diet and we always cruise the Needles and Badlands on our own when we are out there ourselves. Is parking a problem if we don't register? I do want to support the event but $135 is a lot of money for a couple T shirts.....
Nathan - I love your "Trapped in Minnesota", I feel the same many times!