General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Stock Ford Alarm Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/05, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was told by my insurance agent that I need to get an alarm on my Stang. I do not here about too many Mustang getting stolen. Also I feel most alarms just make noise that people ignore. The question is, Is the stock keyless entry / kill switch enough?
Old 4/12/05, 07:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
For insurance purposes, yes. Insurance companies give a discount if you try to keep your car protected. I got a discount from Geico for buying the factory system.

As far as protecting your car from being stolen; I think if someone wants your car, it will be stolen.
Old 4/12/05, 08:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Kluski@April 12, 2005, 10:01 AM
For insurance purposes, yes. Insurance companies give a discount if you try to keep your car protected. I got a discount from Geico for buying the factory system.

As far as protecting your car from being stolen; I think if someone wants your car, it will be stolen.

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a key fob with an unlock and lock buttons, a panic button and a trunk release button. When I press the lock button twice the horn beeps once and a light on the dash flashes the word theft. Is this an alarm system or not? What does it sense? Any info would be great!

BTW I have 99 35th GT that is fully loaded if that helps at all.
Old 4/14/05, 07:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

back to the top. Anyone know any info on the factory alarms?
Old 4/14/05, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

From what I remember, its a "Passive Anti-theft" system, meaning if they don't have the right key(chip in key), they can't steal it. But, I'm sure if they want it bad enough, they can by-pass that.
Old 4/14/05, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 35thGT@April 14, 2005, 12:35 PM
From what I remember, its a "Passive Anti-theft" system, meaning if they don't have the right key(chip in key), they can't steal it. But, I'm sure if they want it bad enough, they can by-pass that.

Ahhh... So its not just a cheapo keyless entry. So it will go off if someone bumps it or opens the door right Jason? Is this the kind of alarm you have on your car?

Thanks for your help!
Old 4/14/05, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT+April 14, 2005, 2:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1999 Black 35th GT @ April 14, 2005, 2:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-35thGT@April 14, 2005, 12:35 PM

Ahhh... So its not just a cheapo keyless entry. So it will go off if someone bumps it or opens the door right Jason? Is this the kind of alarm you have on your car?

Thanks for your help!
[/b][/quote]

no, Its just the faactory item, which means very little. Its just that you can't use a store cut key to start the car. Nothing more. Immobilizer in a sense. I'm sure some theives can by-pas that however.
Old 4/14/05, 02:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

hmm. now i'm a little discouraged. It sits at the apartment and I thought it would actually go off if someone broke a window or something. I thought it would at least do that to deter theives. It flashes a little "theft" word in red on the dash too.

Do you still have the stock alarm or did you go with an aftermarket one. If so which kind?
Old 4/14/05, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 14, 2005, 2:13 PM
hmm. now i'm a little discouraged. It sits at the apartment and I thought it would actually go off if someone broke a window or something. I thought it would at least do that to deter theives. It flashes a little "theft" word in red on the dash too.

Do you still have the stock alarm or did you go with an aftermarket one. If so which kind?
No alarm. I don't leave my car anywhere that I have to worry. Work or home. I live back in the woods a little, so strangers don't go up that far.
Even if someone did steal it, I'd be sad for a while, but I'd just get another one.
Old 4/14/05, 09:06 PM
V6 Member

How's an alarm gonna "protect" your car? It's just gonna make a bunch of noise AFTER somebody's broken into it.

What's needed is a good defense system...something like the ones that are only legal in South Africa. Like the flamethrowers hidden on the undercarriage below the door that'll char a would-be thief as they're trying to break in. Or the spring-loaded iron bar located under the rocker panel...that way a would-be thief would have their ankles shattered during the break-in attempt.

Or, if there was just a way to electrically charge the car's sheet metal...that would be a shocking experience for a would-be thief.

Old 4/15/05, 06:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Do they really have those in Africa? Does anyone have pics?
Old 4/15/05, 01:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 15, 2005, 6:54 AM
Didn't have pictures of the iron bar, but I have seen pics of the flamethrower one.

About 2 years ago I read an article in Newsweek or Time (don't remember which) about how bad the carjackings are in South Africa. Authorities down there are apparently powerless, or just can't keep up, so people have taken matters into their own hands by buying these highly damaging/potentially deadly devices. They only mentioned both devices in the article...but back in '98 or '99, the flamethrower device was in the Guinness Book of World Records as the "Most Dangerous Theft Deterrent." It showed a picture of a BMW sedan shooting flames out from under the car.
Old 4/15/05, 01:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by IIGood+April 15, 2005, 3:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IIGood @ April 15, 2005, 3:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT@April 15, 2005, 6:54 AM
Didn't have pictures of the iron bar, but I have seen pics of the flamethrower one.

About 2 years ago I read an article in Newsweek or Time (don't remember which) about how bad the carjackings are in South Africa. Authorities down there are apparently powerless, or just can't keep up, so people have taken matters into their own hands by buying these highly damaging/potentially deadly devices. They only mentioned both devices in the article...but back in '98 or '99, the flamethrower device was in the Guinness Book of World Records as the "Most Dangerous Theft Deterrent." It showed a picture of a BMW sedan shooting flames out from under the car.
[/b][/quote]

Now why can't we do that in the states? So we take some scum and turn them into KFC. Big deal! I would be like that scene in 20,000 leagues under the sea when the cannibals get shocked.

We're too lenient in the states. I think Peru has law that if you are caught for GTA you lose both hands
Old 4/15/05, 01:38 PM
V6 Member

I've had 5 cars stolen in my life so far...each with a variety of systems/no systems....and parked anywhare from in front of my house to a parking garage --- And let me tell you --- if they want it ---they will take it. Don't waste your money.
Old 4/15/05, 01:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think the best protection is going to be a garage when my wife and I get a home this fall.
Old 4/15/05, 01:57 PM

My idea is to stop joy riding kids from stealing my car...but you'll never stop a professional. If they want your car, they'll take it...no matter what kind of anti-theft system you have.
Old 4/17/05, 06:32 AM
GT Member

So, how many of us will be putting in a kill switch to make it a hide and seek issue to move the car?
Old 4/17/05, 08:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by IIGood@April 14, 2005, 9:09 PM
How's an alarm gonna "protect" your car? It's just gonna make a bunch of noise AFTER somebody's broken into it.

What's needed is a good defense system...something like the ones that are only legal in South Africa. Like the flamethrowers hidden on the undercarriage below the door that'll char a would-be thief as they're trying to break in. Or the spring-loaded iron bar located under the rocker panel...that way a would-be thief would have their ankles shattered during the break-in attempt.

Or, if there was just a way to electrically charge the car's sheet metal...that would be a shocking experience for a would-be thief.

I hear the Key chip being a Immobilizer is what the Insurance likes to have and the Mustangs have it . as I had to ask seeing all the insurance denials and as a back up the TRUNK MONKEY with a pipe !
Old 4/17/05, 08:39 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I have an aftermarket system that has a kill switch, and a remote alarm. The keychain pages me when the alarm goes off, and tells me what part of the car tripped the alarm.. i.e. motion, trunk/door ajar. It also tells me if the car is locked or unlocked in its current state.

I have already had it go off twice. Its perfect, sitting in my condo, car is in underground parking. Key fob alarmed, I ran downstairs, and checked on her. Turned out, my neighbors Harley is what has set it off both times, LOL!!! Funny that his Harley will set it off, but I can try to open the doors, kick the tires, rock the car, and nothing. Gotta get that fixed.
Old 4/17/05, 08:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by GottaHaveIt@April 17, 2005, 8:42 PM
I hear the Key chip being a Immobilizer is what the Insurance likes to have and the Mustangs have it . as I had to ask seeing all the insurance denials and as a back up the TRUNK MONKEY with a pipe !
LOL! Ah yes, the ever reliable trunk monkey! God I love those commercials.

Quick Reply: Stock Ford Alarm Enough?