General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

speaking from under?

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/16, 11:59 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
speaking from under?

Hey guys,

For about a month now I noticed a squeaking everything time I press my clutch pedal in, I didn't think too much about it because I thought the pedal spring or joint needed greasing. today decided to install my steeda clutch spring, while pushing the clutch pedal in by hand i noticed the noise is coming from somewhere underneath my car.

you guys have any clue where the noise is coming from? hopefully it's something I get can easily access to lube up. here's a vid to give you guys a better idea where it's coming from.

https://youtu.be/u9-scZQTfQk
Old 6/12/16, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
That sounds like it could be the slave cylinder. I was able to find a few videos of other cars (wrx, civic) that fixed it by greasing the slave cyl. Unfortunately in our cars I think the only way to get to it is to drop the transmission. In which case...how many miles do you have on the car? Might be worth just replacing it with a new one if you're in there.

Last edited by Cavero; 6/12/16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 6/12/16, 01:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
That sounds like it could be the slave cylinder. I was able to find a few videos of other cars (wrx, civic) that fixed it by greasing the slave cyl. Unfortunately in our cars I think the only way to get to it is to drop the transmission. In which case...how many miles do you have on the car? Might be worth just replacing it with a new one if you're in there.
well that sucks, i was hoping it wasn't the slave cylinder. my car has around 32k on it, I guess I could take it to the dealership to have it checked since it's still under warranty. you think I should put my factory clutch spring back in before taking it there? I just don't want the dealership to blame it on the steeda spring for being the reason why it's making that noise.
Old 6/12/16, 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
If its under warranty, definitely take it back to the dealer. The worst is that they tell you its considered a wear item (like brakes) and won't cover it under warranty. But yeah, I would definitely put the stock spring back in. I don't see why an assist spring on the pedal would make a difference on the slave cyl, but when the dealership submits the paperwork to Ford to get warranty approval, you know Ford's going to ask if there's anything related that's aftermarket on the car. And the warranty guys will try to avoid paying if they can help it. Best to avoid that discussion altogether.
Old 6/12/16, 09:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
If its under warranty, definitely take it back to the dealer. The worst is that they tell you its considered a wear item (like brakes) and won't cover it under warranty. But yeah, I would definitely put the stock spring back in. I don't see why an assist spring on the pedal would make a difference on the slave cyl, but when the dealership submits the paperwork to Ford to get warranty approval, you know Ford's going to ask if there's anything related that's aftermarket on the car. And the warranty guys will try to avoid paying if they can help it. Best to avoid that discussion altogether.
well aside from the clutch spring i haven't modified the transmission or clutch system in anyway. my car does have an off road x-pipe and cobra jet intake manifold but that's about it. but I agree, it's best to avoid that discussion with them.