General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

So you want your car featured in a Magazine???

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/08, 03:36 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
So you want your car featured in a Magazine???

Here is one way to go about it.....

I have been in a number of magazines over the years and have worked with a few different ones. Currently I work with Tracy Stocker of Prozak & Tonic Photo . I've just finished shooting 5 more cars with Tracy this past week(4 for Modified Mustang & 1 for Mustang & Fords). Tracy is among the top automotive photographers in the country. Unlike a lot of features that take place at shows, Tracy travels the world to do features....you submit your car to him and he finds a magazine that can use it and then plans a trip to your area to do the shoot. You will see a lot of his work in Modified Mustangs Magazine but you can also find him in this month's Rod & Custom(Backseat Betty) and he also works with Mustang & Fords and over 60 other magazines around the world.

SO....Here is what you do:

Email Tracy a spec sheet and snap shots of your car.....a good story behind the car is a BIG plus. Include Contact information....This is a MUST!

Now....some of what we are looking for here is:
-Rare Muscle cars-preferably numbers matching

-Restomods

-"THE BEATER".....Modified Mustangs "MIGHT" have interest in a "Beater" type Mustang that is BUILT, FAST, COOL...and DRIVEN!!! This may be a limited time idea....but basically for example...if you have shoved a BIG engine into a 1983 Mustang that has original faded paint and yellow bumpers(paint faded completely off) that is daily driven and runs 9's in the 1/4......or is highly competative in Road Racing...SEND IT IN!!!!

-1979-present MODIFIED Mustangs....remember the title of the magazine IS Modified Mustangs...slightly modified may work if there is a good story involved. Modified Mustangs likes Fast street cars and good stories.

-Hot Rods or Street Rods/Customs...Traditional and Unique

-Highly Modified Ford GT's, Panteras, etc....basically Modified Exotic Fords(NO COBRA KIT CARS...sorry guys this area is saturated)

Please do not submit the following themed Mustangs:
-Knight Rider-if you like it...great but it's not something the magazines are looking for
-Eleanor-Way overplayed already...again great if you like it but it's not what they want.

NOW....photo shoot etiquette:
1) Don't get impatient....do what he says, when he says...it will be and early day to get good lighting and up until dark. You may sit around during the middle of the day doing nothing....you just have to deal with it.
2) Don't bring all your buddies....one friend is OK but don't bring the whole crew
3) If he seems cranky don't take it personally...he gets into his work and if things aren't "jiving" like he wants them to it will irritate him....but it's nothing you did nor is it personal.
4) Fill your tank with gas!!! You will be moving around a lot.....light can escape quickly and wasting time refueling is losing precious light.
5) Remember Patience is a MUST!
6) Don't be late!
7) Understand that it may take some time before a feature is actually run in the magazine! This could be 4 months to over a year....that all depends on the magazine staff and when they feel they can fit it in but EVERYTHING Tracy shoots is on assignment so it WILL be featured! Car show shoots are not this way and you may never see it featured.(I had one shot by Jeff Ford for Mustang Monthly 8 years ago and it has NEVER been run to this day).

Remember, if you submit it....There is no guarantee it will be accepted...BUT it is an opportunity! If Tracy can find a home for your car in one of the many magazines he shoots for, he will!

He is GOOD....I've attached a Rolling shot of our Evolution SVO he took....this is a Race car...NOT a show car....but the shot is amazing! This was taken car to car at speed too...something very few guys in the industry can pull off.

You can email your submissions to:
Tracy Stocker

Feel free to discuss anything pertaining to this here....I'll be happy to help answer any questions or ask Tracy for you....
Attached Thumbnails So you want your car featured in a Magazine???-svpuevosm.jpg  
Old 2/21/08, 12:37 PM
Unregistered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good advice!
Old 2/21/08, 03:33 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My II more than qualifies for the "beaten" part of the "beater" category.. Don't think I meet the speed requirements though
Old 2/21/08, 03:43 PM
Service Manager

Guys....Tracy is still here at my shop and a few submissions have come in and I have to reinforce something.....

PLEASE SEND A COMPLETE SPEC SHEET!!!

Don't think you are wasting his time or boring him with details.....he WANTS ALL the details!!! This is basically a Resume for your car....you wouldn't leave anything off the table on a job interview and you shouldn't do that here.....list EVERYTHING.
Old 2/23/08, 09:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wish my car were done. I'd jump on this. It should be finished soon though.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=70131&page=2
Old 2/26/08, 02:12 AM
Bullitt Member

sent in some pics and full description of my car with every detail I could think of. Do you know when he was looking to shoot? Do you know how long it could be before he contacts after submission?
Old 2/26/08, 09:18 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by 300HPGT
sent in some pics and full description of my car with every detail I could think of. Do you know when he was looking to shoot? Do you know how long it could be before he contacts after submission?

Your submission gives him a car to submit to various magazines if it fits within what those magazines are looking for....if that magazine likes it then they will tell him to set up a shoot and he will contact you. I can't tell you on a time frame....he usually comes down to my area once a year and I started sending him cars for consideration that he just shot about 6 months ago. Just because you sent it though does not guarantee you a feature though....but you can't be up for consideration without sending it in .
Old 2/27/08, 11:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
Here is one way to go about it.....

I have been in a number of magazines over the years and have worked with a few different ones. Currently I work with Tracy Stocker of Prozak & Tonic Photo . I've just finished shooting 5 more cars with Tracy this past week(4 for Modified Mustang & 1 for Mustang & Fords). Tracy is among the top automotive photographers in the country. Unlike a lot of features that take place at shows, Tracy travels the world to do features....you submit your car to him and he finds a magazine that can use it and then plans a trip to your area to do the shoot. You will see a lot of his work in Modified Mustangs Magazine but you can also find him in this month's Rod & Custom(Backseat Betty) and he also works with Mustang & Fords and over 60 other magazines around the world.

SO....Here is what you do:

Email Tracy a spec sheet and snap shots of your car.....a good story behind the car is a BIG plus. Include Contact information....This is a MUST!

Now....some of what we are looking for here is:
-Rare Muscle cars-preferably numbers matching

-Restomods

-"THE BEATER".....Modified Mustangs "MIGHT" have interest in a "Beater" type Mustang that is BUILT, FAST, COOL...and DRIVEN!!! This may be a limited time idea....but basically for example...if you have shoved a BIG engine into a 1983 Mustang that has original faded paint and yellow bumpers(paint faded completely off) that is daily driven and runs 9's in the 1/4......or is highly competative in Road Racing...SEND IT IN!!!!

-1979-present MODIFIED Mustangs....remember the title of the magazine IS Modified Mustangs...slightly modified may work if there is a good story involved. Modified Mustangs likes Fast street cars and good stories.

-Hot Rods or Street Rods/Customs...Traditional and Unique

-Highly Modified Ford GT's, Panteras, etc....basically Modified Exotic Fords(NO COBRA KIT CARS...sorry guys this area is saturated)

Please do not submit the following themed Mustangs:
-Knight Rider-if you like it...great but it's not something the magazines are looking for
-Eleanor-Way overplayed already...again great if you like it but it's not what they want.

NOW....photo shoot etiquette:
1) Don't get impatient....do what he says, when he says...it will be and early day to get good lighting and up until dark. You may sit around during the middle of the day doing nothing....you just have to deal with it.
2) Don't bring all your buddies....one friend is OK but don't bring the whole crew
3) If he seems cranky don't take it personally...he gets into his work and if things aren't "jiving" like he wants them to it will irritate him....but it's nothing you did nor is it personal.
4) Fill your tank with gas!!! You will be moving around a lot.....light can escape quickly and wasting time refueling is losing precious light.
5) Remember Patience is a MUST!
6) Don't be late!
7) Understand that it may take some time before a feature is actually run in the magazine! This could be 4 months to over a year....that all depends on the magazine staff and when they feel they can fit it in but EVERYTHING Tracy shoots is on assignment so it WILL be featured! Car show shoots are not this way and you may never see it featured.(I had one shot by Jeff Ford for Mustang Monthly 8 years ago and it has NEVER been run to this day).

Remember, if you submit it....There is no guarantee it will be accepted...BUT it is an opportunity! If Tracy can find a home for your car in one of the many magazines he shoots for, he will!

He is GOOD....I've attached a Rolling shot of our Evolution SVO he took....this is a Race car...NOT a show car....but the shot is amazing! This was taken car to car at speed too...something very few guys in the industry can pull off.

You can email your submissions to:
Tracy Stocker

Feel free to discuss anything pertaining to this here....I'll be happy to help answer any questions or ask Tracy for you....

Where can I get those fenders?!?

Old 2/28/08, 07:26 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Where can I get those fenders?!?

Unfortunately you can't....they are the long discontinued Ford Motorsport fenders from the mid 80's.
Old 2/28/08, 09:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is cool, i may have to send in some info
Old 3/20/08, 09:38 AM
Service Manager

OK Guys....We just can't understand this! There are SO many members on this forum yet he received ONLY 5 submissions....out of that I know he has confirmed features to be shot on at least 2 of those cars.

WHY is nobody sending in their car? Afraid of rejection? Don't care? Don't want to see your car in a magazine?!? What gives?!?

I KNOW there are a LOT of nice cars that belong to members here....so why aren't you guys submitting them?!?
Old 3/20/08, 10:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Well I must be one of the five..... I sent mine in the first day you posted this. It seems like a great opportunity- thanks for sharing.
Old 3/21/08, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

If I can get mine finished by my 4th of July deadline I'll submit it, why not, nothing to lose.
Old 3/22/08, 10:24 PM
GT Member

I just saw this and submitted mine. Thanks for the info.
Old 3/23/08, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

My car is at the trim shop having custom red inserts installed in the seats. When I pick it up on Tuesday, I'll have to take some new pics and send them in with a spec sheet!
Old 10/3/08, 01:11 PM
Service Manager

From March to October.....we have one of our own featured because he sent in his info from this thread

Congratulations Tom281, you are officially bathroom reading material now!!!
Attached Thumbnails So you want your car featured in a Magazine???-tom281a.jpg  
Old 10/3/08, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Congrats TOM!!! I still have your UDP's. Maybe a little magazine luck will rub off on me.
Old 10/3/08, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
From March to October.....we have one of our own featured because he sent in his info from this thread

Congratulations Tom281, you are officially bathroom reading material now!!!
Thanks Paul, couldn't have done it if you wouldn't have started this thread!

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
Congrats TOM!!! I still have your UDP's. Maybe a little magazine luck will rub off on me.
Hey thanks! I trust the pullies are doing well for you.
Old 10/4/08, 12:43 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I just found this and sent him a write up, hope I hear back I would love for this opportunity
Old 10/4/08, 08:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After the PM from Tom, I got a few great shots of my car, and will email them. My only problem, I see, is even though, I have over 35 mods to my car, I don't have a supercharger, or turbo, and I know they like to do stories on cars with F/I. I hope they like N/A motors.

Quick Reply: So you want your car featured in a Magazine???