General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Snow!

Old 2/3/13, 09:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow!

I live in Iowa and we get snow all the time! My only car is a mustang, do you know any tips to improve handling of a mustang in snow? I already have 2 60lbs sand bags in the truck over each wheel to improve traction.
Old 2/3/13, 09:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Got dang buckshots on that sucker Lol
Attached Images  
Old 2/3/13, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by geh4
I live in Iowa and we get snow all the time! My only car is a mustang, do you know any tips to improve handling of a mustang in snow? I already have 2 60lbs sand bags in the truck over each wheel to improve traction.
Sandbags are a good start. Probably the biggest thing you could do to help is to get winter tires. They make a HUGE difference. Yes, they cost money, but if you swap them out for your other tires in spring, they can last through several winters and your summer tires will last longer too.

If you have a manual trans, you can also start from 2nd gear to limit the torque to the wheels on a slippery start, or rock the car if you're having a hard time moving from a stop.

The traction control system is pretty good on these cars too (much better than pre-traction control days).

None the less, tires will make the biggest difference out of anything you could do.
Old 2/3/13, 10:52 PM
V6 Member

Sounds good! Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 2/3/13, 11:31 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I live in Wisconsin and we also get snowstorms all the time ... I don't find it difficult to drive the Mustang in the snow at all. I have all season tires and manual transmission and that's all I need.

Pretty much don't give it too much gas and you'll be fine.
Old 2/4/13, 01:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Blizzacks.... They're awesome!
Old 2/5/13, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Park the Mustang.
Get A front wheel drive winter beater. And save the Mustang from a horrible premature death from salt.
Old 2/5/13, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Lived in the NE and never had a problem with snow in a rear wheel drive car.... Now in NC but took my kids Fox out in the snow we had last week for fun and training.... Sandbags over the wheels??? in the trunk??? Sounds like a good way to make the rear swing faster on you when you do get it sideways.

the best way to make it handle better is to moderate your right foot.
Old 2/6/13, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

I read to get sand bags back their so you have more weight since its so light in the back without them. It's suppose to give me more traction. I would get a beater but I'm only 16 and can't really buy a second car.
Old 2/6/13, 06:27 PM
V6 Member

Maybe slow down..... and let everyone else do 80mph, You'll pass them later anyway.
Old 2/6/13, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I read to get sand bags back their so you have more weight since its so light in the back without them. It's suppose to give me more traction. I would get a beater but I'm only 16 and can't really buy a second car.
Never used anything.... Not even in my 4x2 Ranger. It is all in the speed and seat of the pants feel... Tires will make a good difference....
Old 2/6/13, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have driven every car I have ever owned in the snow and ice of winter. First and foremost give yourself plenty of time wherever you are going. Drive cautiously, use good judgement and if things are too bad stay home or use public transportation if available . Most of all know what you car will do or won't do in the snow. Weight in the trunk is good ,so is a shovel. Even better is a companion or buddy who can drive or help push to get you moving. Generally if you get stuck, keep you front wheels pointed straight ahead as you push or rock you car to get it free. Go play in the snow ,enjoy it ! Experience is the greatest teacher ! Good luck !
Old 2/7/13, 06:06 AM
V6 Member

Thanks guys! I will use all these types!
Old 2/7/13, 10:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Another big thing - if you have a car with a manual transmission, use engine braking as much as possible. It makes a huge difference.
Old 2/7/13, 10:12 PM
V6 Member

I happen to have automatic transmission. :/
Old 2/8/13, 01:44 PM

Well, living in Alaska all of my driving experience is in winter weather (we only have a few months of no winter a year).

I don't know how bad it gets down there, but blizzards are very common up here and it's not uncommon to drive through snow up past the middle of your tire which is nestled on top of a nice sheet of ice. It doesn't matter if you have a rear, front, awd, or 4x4. Everyone slides at one point, especially considering Alaska has a lot of hills and mountains and its very rare I drive on a straight lvl road.

That being said, the best thing you can do is get a nice pair if studded winter tires. Some people like the studdless but I've always found better traction with studs. Sand bags on your rear axle is good as it will help force your tires into the ground for the grip it needs to go. Lastly, don't over fill your tires. -5 from the max psi is good for winter but don't let them get lower as you will lose traction.

Beyond that just drive carefully. Don't brake while turning, watch your acceleration, and try to apply enough break pressure to the point where your abs ALMOST kicks in. You will stop quicker.

Good luck.
Old 2/8/13, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I happen to have automatic transmission. :/
You can still start out in 2nd..or 1st or 3rd with the auto. You can also utilize engine braking with the auto.

I've found that even with a good set of all seasons on your car, you should be fine in the snow. Just keep the speed down, and if possible, don't come to a complete stop while on snowy/icy/slushy roads. I did that a few times in my mustang and woops, there went my traction. I'm in Jersey and just drove 30 miles on the highway during this "storm", kept it under 40 the entire time and I was golden....Pulling up into my driveway however...took a bit of shoveling and salting and using the ol' floor mat under the rear tire trick!

And of course, if there's several inches of snow out there, and you're forced to drive on unplowed/unsalted streets. :/ I'd be wary, and consider another means of transportation. Best of luck!

Last edited by AirForcePonycar; 2/8/13 at 04:42 PM.
Old 3/31/13, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011GB/CS
Blizzacks.... They're awesome!
Agree! Have them on our 07' monte carlo SS and the 12' Avalanche....BEST...TIRES....EVER!

The chevys are our "work vehicals" and the 85' F150 lifted show truck and the 14' Shelby are our "play toys" lol Got to have summer toys living in WI.
Old 3/31/13, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

instal a 2000 rpm rev limiter LOL
Old 3/31/13, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Gotta love the weather we are having lately though.... in the far west of the state we are supposed to get snow tonight after three days of high sixties :/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow!