General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Shifting-related noises

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/13, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Shifting-related noises

For a couple of weeks I've been noticing a whirring sound like either a vibration or something rotating that's worn/not lubed properly, and it seems to be coming from the front or dash area.
This noise happens under moderate or heavy acceleration if taking the car above 3-4k RPM, and it only shows up when pushing in the clutch pedal for the upshift.
This noise also seems to have showed up after the install of the DSS 1-piece driveshaft, but not 100% sure of that.

As of today I'm noticing another noise, almost like chirping, when taking the car above 3-4k RPM, seems to happen mostly when going into 2nd or 3rd gear, as I'm shifting and it lasts a bit after the shift is completed.

My thinking is throwout bearing.

Any thoughts ?
Old 5/31/13, 08:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make a video so we can see what you are talking about.
Old 5/31/13, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That is easier said than done.

I just took the car out for a half hour blast, and I heard the noise twice, within the first few shifts.

Then, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to happen again.

I heard that whirring sound once, and the chirping noise twice, like I said, within the first few shifts.

So, I crossed 12k miles with a smile on my face.

Gonna keep driving it, put the new rims/tires on probably later today, and if something develops, I'll deal with it.

If Ford denies the claim, I may take care of it locally since there's an awesome transmission shop next town over.
Old 6/1/13, 03:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Got these noises happening again today and I made some short vids of the whistling/chirping noise when shifting, it's best heard at low speeds but also heard it in 5th gear at ~60mph driving next long jersey-barrier wall giving it light gas, putting a load on it.

I was able to make it on command by pushing in the clutch pedal and trying to move the shifter into 2nd, just touching the gate (see vid)

Old 6/3/13, 08:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

So, I got to drive a '12 5.0 6-speed yesterday ... also with a Barton shifter, but with the stock driveshaft.
The whirring noise described in the opening post wasn't there (I'm thinking it's driveshaft-related at this point) but the other noise was there, just not as loud as in my car.

He did have quite a whine coming from the transmission though, which I'm happy to say I don't have, cuz that would drive me insane.

So I'm thinking I'm just gonna drive this ***** and see what happens.

If it blows up and Ford won't fix it, I have the option of dealing with a great local transmission shop or just putting a T56 Magnum in there
Old 6/3/13, 12:54 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
For a couple of weeks I've been noticing a whirring sound like either a vibration or something rotating that's worn/not lubed properly, and it seems to be coming from the front or dash area.
This noise happens under moderate or heavy acceleration if taking the car above 3-4k RPM, and it only shows up when pushing in the clutch pedal for the upshift.
This noise also seems to have showed up after the install of the DSS 1-piece driveshaft, but not 100% sure of that.

As of today I'm noticing another noise, almost like chirping, when taking the car above 3-4k RPM, seems to happen mostly when going into 2nd or 3rd gear, as I'm shifting and it lasts a bit after the shift is completed.

My thinking is throwout bearing.

Any thoughts ?
Hey Gabe,

You should still have your vehicle checked out at your Ford dealer and speak to your Service Manager. He/She is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha