General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Replace Tires when getting new Wheels? -- easier to sell??

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/12, 11:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replace Tires when getting new Wheels? -- easier to sell??

I want to replace my wheels rims. The current wheels/tires have 1050 miles on them, with no glazing/burn/etc. They are the stock factory wheels/tires(perelli).

I was planning on just buying new wheels and having the existing tires remounted, but I see a lot of people here and other places are buying new rims+tires even when they have brand new tires.

Is that because it's easier to sell the old rims with tires or are people doing that for other reason?

As a follow up, what's a reasonable price for me to ask to the stock Wheels and/or the Stock Wheels+Tires? Is my only reasonable option to try to sell to a private party?
Old 8/24/12, 06:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my 17x7 factory wheels and tires on my 2012 V6. As I didn’t like the performance and size of the OE Michelin 215/65/17 energy saver / green x tires. My Discount Tire dealer bought them from me which I applied towards the cost of my new tires. If you want a different tire, this might be an option for you?
Old 8/24/12, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peculiar inquiry. When I got new wheels for my cars, I usually upgrade the size; wider or larger. I wouldn't get new wheels the same size.
Old 8/24/12, 01:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by POS VETT
Peculiar inquiry. When I got new wheels for my cars, I usually upgrade the size; wider or larger. I wouldn't get new wheels the same size.
It's purely an aesthetic mod. I want chrome wheels, and the options Ford had were terrible (IMHO).
Old 8/24/12, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Especially when it's purely aesthetic; when it's for racing or performance reason, I'd go with smaller diameter wheels. For looks, go big or go home.
Old 8/27/12, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I would say its because upgrading wheels/tires is a relatively rare occurrence, depending on your schedule and budget of course that it makes sense to just upgrade both the tires w/ the wheels - especially if you were going to the upgrade the tires eventually.

However I know plenty of people who buy the same wheel size and re-use the stock tires.

Personally I'm not a fan of the narrower 245/45-19s stock and while my stock Pirellis have plenty of life, I was going to upgrade anyway to wider tires. Makes sense to do both at the same time.

Now I just have one charge/appt to mount wheels tires, don't have to possibly risk damaging the wheel(s) changing tires more than I have to (you can always be careful but it happens), and my stock wheels are more valuable to some because with the stock tire still mounted it is ready for someone to put on and enjoy.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 8/27/12 at 05:26 PM.
Old 8/27/12, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As is usual for me, I am on the bass-ackward end of the stick: I ordered the Performance Package, which comes with the improved brakes and differential ratio, limited slip rear end, and suspension components which I find to be desirable acquisitions. However, it also comes with 19" wheels (which I don't particularly like) and summer-only Pirellis, which are completely impractical-- this is Indiana, not Arizona! So I am looking at laying out more $ocial $ecurity for 17 inchers (Bullitts!) and all-season skins which come standard , and there is some question as to whether these are even compatible with the upgraded rotors/calipers which will come on the car. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you can lay out buttloads of cash for new vehicles and STILL not get what you want.